News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Just so we're all on the same page, Trump fired the FBI Director in charge of investigating his campaign for colluding with Russia.

Right....and now he gets to choose whose going to continue that investigation. No conflict of interest there...

Regardless of what the reason they're giving for the firing is, I gather Comey/the FBI has found a smoking gun in the Trump-Russia connection.

Comey/the FBI has found a smoking gun in the Trump-Russia connection.

And the Republicans are working hard to bury it!

I don't see an impeachment coming. The GOP will never go through with it, as long as Trump is popular. And he is.

And the Republicans are working hard to bury it!
I don't see an impeachment coming. The GOP will never go through with it, as long as Trump is popular. And he is.

All signs point to both parties having been hacked, but that only one party had internal communications leaked. One can connect the dots.

As to the popularity of Trump - it's less that he is popular at 30s approval, but that he is popular among GOPs base. At this point though who actually counts on GOP do the honourable thing?

AoD

Last edited:

I wouldn't be too sure of that. It sounds like Comey's sacking has angered some Republican congressmen/senators as well. Demand for a special prosecutor might have enough support to go through. If that happens and Trump is found in any way complicit in getting Russia to influence the election, it's all over for him.

All signs point to both parties having been hacked, but that only one party had internal communications leaked. One can connect the dots.

As to the popularity of Trump - it's less that he is popular at 30s approval, but that he is popular among GOPs base. At this point though who actually counts on GOP do the honourable thing?

AoD

I wouldn't be too sure of that. It sounds like Comey's sacking has angered some Republican congressmen/senators as well. Demand for a special prosecutor might have enough support to go through. If that happens and Trump is found in any way complicit in getting Russia to influence the election, it's all over for him.

They all sound furious in front of the cameras. And then vote the party line. I can't believe that people think the GOP will toss out Trump while he's popular with the Republican base. They absolutely will not. Because they know they'll pay for it in 2018. The only way this happens is if there is substantial evidence that can be made public (is not classified) tying Trump directly to Russia.

The GOP has the House, the Senate, the Presidency and over 2/3rds of the states governorships and legislatures. They will not yield an inch of power if they don't have to.

Moreover, to them, Trump is an useful idiot. He doesn't have an ideological bone in his body. He only cares about winning. The most useful President they could ever have. He'll rubber stamp whatever they want. Even Mike Pence wouldn't do that. And they know that.

Except that it's fairly clear from the whole health care debacle and the discussions around tax reform that he's at odds with a considerable portion of the Republican party. Polls are also saying that if mid-terms were held today that the democrats would be regaining control.

Trump may be popular with the Republican base, but that's about all he's popular with. His overall popularity ratings are abysmal, and that's going to be a drag on the Republicans going into next year.

We'll see. Keep in mind that Congressional districts are so badly gerrymandered that the Democrats need to win by over 6% to get a majority of the seats. So the idea that a small dip in GOP turnout will give the Dems a big win isn't really true. Moreover, Democrats are known not to turnout at midterms while Republicans always do.

Except that it's fairly clear from the whole health care debacle and the discussions around tax reform that he's at odds with a considerable portion of the Republican party. Polls are also saying that if mid-terms were held today that the democrats would be regaining control.

Trump may be popular with the Republican base, but that's about all he's popular with. His overall popularity ratings are abysmal, and that's going to be a drag on the Republicans going into next year.

Nothing really changed since November and now. 96% of those who voted for him would still do so again if the election were held now in spite of the barrage of negative press. Support for the Democrats meanwhile has cratered since the election. The so-called "resistance" whom are the most vocal critics are probably less than 30% of all Americans. The silent majority stands with Trump and perceives him to be the victim of a witch hunt.

Nothing really changed since November and now. 96% of those who voted for him would still do so again if the election were held now in spite of the barrage of negative press. Support for the Democrats meanwhile has cratered since the election. The so-called "resistance" whom are the most vocal critics are probably less than 30% of all Americans. The silent majority stands with Trump and perceives him to be the victim of a witch hunt.
I suspect you're right. Trump seems to have forged an unholy alliance of three single-issue groups who will vote Republican as long as the party delivers for them:
Suburban and rural working class whites: seem to enjoy appeals to their tribal identity like all the Second Amendment and anti-Muslim nonsense;
Fundamentalist Christians: support anyone who will make the Supreme Court appointments they want; and
Upper income people who actually know better but only care about personal income tax cuts for themselves (I worked with a lot of these people over the years).
Throw in gerrymandering of House districts and Fox News and you have a powerful electoral movement that's completely immune to reasonable argument or decency.

From The Star, at this link:

Donald Trump, who calls climate change a hoax, pulls U.S. from the world’s plan to stop it

Trump’s decision, which isolates the U.S. from virtually the entire world, deals a blow to the global effort to fight the catastrophic impacts of sharply rising temperatures.

President Donald Trump says he will withdraw the United States from the historic Paris agreement on combating climate change, a move that damages the international effort to address a problem he calls a hoax and isolates the world’s superpower from almost every other nation.

Trump said he would try to negotiate a new deal on “terms that are fair to the United States.”

Trump’s decision increases the chances that the world will experience the most catastrophic consequences of sharply rising temperatures, such as deadly droughts, severe coastal flooding and mass migration.

But he did not say what kinds of changes might satisfy him, and the leaders of France, Germany and Italy said there would be no more talks.

The withdrawal of the world’s biggest economy and second-biggest emitter of carbon dioxide could have far-reaching consequences for the climate and for international affairs.

Trump, though, described the agreement as environmentally insignificant and economically harmful.

France's Macron reply, from this link:

Trump phoned Europe's top leaders to tell them he was pulling out of Paris - but France's Macron responded with public lecture telling him: 'Make the planet great again'

French President Emmanuel Macron delivered a take-down of President Trump's new climate policy, calling his decision a 'mistake' that threatens the world – not long after a phone call where Trump told him about America's 'strong record' on the environment.

'Wherever we live, whoever we are, we all share the same responsibility. Make our planet great again. Thank you,' Macron said at the end of videotaped remarks released as counter-programming immediately following the president's Rose Garden speech announcing the U.S. would pull out of the Paris climate accord.

Speaking directly to the camera in English, in remarks released following Trump's, the newest leader on the European stage described the threat of climate change – something the president didn't address in his remarks.

Macron said, 'If we do nothing, our children will know a world of migrations, of wars, of shortage. A dangerous world. It is not a future we want for ourselves. It is not a future we want for our children. It is not a future we want for our world.'

According to the White House, Trump spoke by telephone Thursday with Chancellor Angela Merkel of Germany, Macron, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau of Canada, and Prime Minister Theresa May of the United Kingdom.

Trump 'explained his decision to withdraw' from the climate pact, and thanked the leaders for 'frank, substantive discussions.'

'He noted America’s strong record in reducing emissions and leading the development of clean energy technology, and he reiterated that the United States under the Trump Administration, will be the cleanest and most environmentally friendly country on Earth,' according to the White Houe.

Macron, who drew attention during summit meetings last month by vigorously shaking hands with Trump and refusing to let go first, and for greeting German Chancellor Angela Merkel before greeting the president, mentioned Trump by name.

'Today the president of the United States, Donald Trump, announced his decision to withdraw the United States from the Paris Agreement. I do respect this decision but I do think it is an actual mistake both for the U.S. and for our planet,' he said.

He indicated he had just shared his assessment with Trump.

'Tonight I wish to tell the United States France believes in you. The world believes in you. I know that you are a great nation. I know your history – our common history,' he said.

Then he repeated an offer he made during his own campaign this year – essentially offering safe harbor to U.S. climate researchers.

'To all scientists, engineers, entrepreneurs, responsible citizens who were disappointed by the decision of the president of the United States, I want to say, that they will find in France a second homeland.'

'I call on them, come and work here with us. To work together on concrete solutions for our climate. Our environment. I can assure you France will not give up the fight. I reaffirm clearly that the Paris agreement remains irreversible and will be implemented,' he said.
Major European powers are ruling out President Donald Trump's stated claim of renegotiating the Paris climate pact in order to get a 'fair' deal for the U.S.

Italy, France and Germany said on Thursday they regretted President Donald Trump's decision to withdraw from the Paris climate accord and dismissed his suggestion that the global pact could be revised.

'We deem the momentum generated in Paris in December 2015 irreversible and we firmly believe that the Paris Agreement cannot be renegotiated, since it is a vital instrument for our planet, societies and economies,' the leaders of the three countries said in a joint statement.

Trump announced Thursday that the U.S. would be pulling out of the agreement negotiated by predecessor Barack Obama.

'So we're getting out. But we will start to negotiate and we will see if we can make a deal that's fair. And if we can, that's great. And if we can't that's fine,' Trump said in a White House Rose Garden speech.

Italian Prime Minister Paolo Gentiloni, German Chancellor Angela Merkel and Macron urged all their allies to speed up efforts to combat climate change and said they would do more to help developing countries adapt.

Not only did the president blast the climate pact, which commits nations to meeting reductions in greenhouse gases through their own methods, he said other nations were 'laughing' at the U.S.

'We don't want other leaders and other countries laughing at us any more. And they won't be. They won't be,' Trump declared. 'I was elected to represent the citizens of Pittsburgh, not Paris.'

Trump complained in the White House's Rose Garden that major polluters like China are allowed to increase their emissions under the agreement in a way that the US cannot. India is hinging its participation on billions of dollars of foreign aid.

The deal is a 'massive redistribution of United States wealth to other countries,' he said.

'The Paris accord is very unfair, at the highest level, to the United States.

'This agreement is less about the climate and more about other countries gaining a financial advantage over the United States,' Trump said.

The reaction was equally cool to the North.

Canada is 'deeply disappointed' by Trump's decision to withdraw from the Paris climate accord, but will push ahead with measures to fight global warming, Environment Minister Catherine McKenna said on Thursday.

'Canada is deeply disappointed at the U.S. position. The Paris agreement is a good deal for Canada and it's a good deal for the world,' McKenna told reporters, the Associated Press reported. 'No one country can stop action on climate change,' she said.

Miguel Arias Canete, the top climate official of the European Union, said the president's decision was 'a sad day for the global community.'

He said in a statement that the EU 'deeply regrets the unilateral decision by the Trump administration' while saying 'the world can continue to count on Europe for global leadership.'

During his election campaign, Macron shared a post on social media where he took shots at Trump and urged U.S. researches to come to France, which he called 'your country.'

'I do know how your new president, now, has decided to jeopardize your budget, your initiatives, as he is extremely skeptical about climate change,' he said.

'I have no doubt about climate change and how committed we have to be regarding this issue,' he continued. 'It's your nation and we like innovation. We want people working on climate change, energy, renewables and new technologies,' he said, adding: 'France is your nation.'

Gentiloni wrote on Twitter that Italy would keep its targets for cutting emissions and renewable energy.

DBRPMmMXcAAwdtK.jpg

Everyone:

After 6 months of the Trump Twitter Presidency here on July 4th it is time to look back at what has transpired
so far - this topic is a good overview and shows what some Canadians think of Donald Trump...

I now feel that it is not a question of if he will be impeached it is a question of when either the GOP will pull the
plug or if one or both the US House and US Senate become a Democratic majority in the fall 2018 elections.

There has been mention that VP Mike Pence - who is a staunch conservative - would be more to the right of
Trump if he takes over the US Presidency but would be more rational and levelheaded then Trump is...

It will be interesting to see how the next six months transpire especially with Trump and the GOP's polling
numbers tanking due to fiascos such as the ACA repeal and replace which has little if any support outside
the hardliners in the GOP and the fanatic Trump supporters.

As most of us know each US party has it's fringe elements: the far right of the GOP and the hard left wing of
the Democratic Party but what is forgotten by some is the centrist or near left or right which is a majority
of the US electorate as a whole since they are drowned out by the very vocal fringes.

I found this TTC picture today that I took notice to noticing Trump's picture and the destination sign -
KENNEDY making me think about who was/is the better President...In JFK's case it makes me wonder
how his life would have turned out had the events of November 22,1963 had not happened and also
taking note that JFK would have been 100 years old this year...
www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?69248

Happy Canada Day and Independence Day to everyone here at UT!!!
Long Island Mike - July 4,2017

Back