8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The Mississauga Muse

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hey all. I'm sure that ya-all heard about it. The Future Mississauga Conversation for the 21st Century, (Community Engagement Visioning Charrette) AKA Visioning Symposium is now Mississauga HISTORY!

Yes, thousands of ideas! ONE VISION.

Only they forgot to invite Malton! Yeah, no one from Malton!

I swear. Yesterday morning, I'm in a Conversation Cafe with 79 others (I counted). Towards the end there's Question Time.

The Mississauga Muse raises her hand and asks:

"Anyone here from Malton?" (NOPE)

So. Like. The dude at the microphone suggests maybe there are Malton residents in the other three Conversation Cafe rooms.

Possible.

So. Like. We go back in the evening to celebrate our Community Engagement Visioning Charrette with McCallion et al and it reaches the end of the celebratory wrap-up of this successful community involvement experience and there's Question Time again (you'd think they'd learn).

The Mississauga Muse steps up to the microphone and says:

"Hi, this is just a really really quick question. How many people are from-- live in Malton?"

No hands. NADA. ZIPPO.

2288610175_ab0722e73c.jpg

Got my question on video too.

Here's The Mississauga Muse asking all those Wards 1 and 2 "Waterfront" dudes and dudettes:

"Hi, this is just a really really quick question. How many people are from-- live in Malton?"

to the tune of "DOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWNTOWN"....

WHERE'S MALTON???!

YOUTUBE

GOOGLE VIDEO

Did someone forget to invite Ward 5?

Malton's always been Mississauga's little talked about bastard son.

You should send your video to George Strombo as he (like me) are proud former Maltonites.

Hey there, Darkstar. I live in Streetsville and my conclusion based on researching Mississauga Council since June 2006 is precisely what you observed regarding Mississauga's treatment of Malton... precisely as in the use of the word "bastard".

Only I say "bastard child".

As soon as I left Hammerson Hall and stepped into the foyer, two black women, a mother and her teenaged daughter stopped me and expressed surprise that there was absolutely no one there from Malton.

They asked me why considering that there was so much(they gestured about) diversity. I carefully explained that there was not. Maybe different races, differents religions but certainly not economic.

And I explained that I most surely had more in common than the two of them than even a middle-class black teen than a poor white 58-year old woman.

That hit home. There was a whole segment of Mississauga holding down a couple of low-paying jobs (maybe more) and their interest is in meeting their primary needs (roof over their heads and food).

Like, they care about the arts?

The mother understood and this ah-HAH light went out and said, "Sure, what would Malton care about a Waterfront when it takes them two hours one way by transit to get here."

BINGO.

I CAN'T BEGIN TO EXPRESS HOW PISSED-OFF I AM AT THE NEVER-ENDING FREAKING HYPOCRISY.

Talked to a youth about Our Future Mississauga. 'said, "They don't $#%&in' listen. They don't even $#%&in' care!"

You know, if I were a Mississaugan Bastard Child, I'd eventually get used to them forcing me to munch on their SHIT-SANDWICHES. But I'd never get used to hearing them deny that's what they're slipping into my lunch bag.

Darkstar. How the hell can you have a Community Engagement Visioning Charrette that you proclaim (and this was after them finding out there was no one from Malton) should be an example to other cities in Canada.

I tell you Darkstar. I know what it's like chomping down on the shit-sandwich. Thank god, it's only temporary --others are forced to feast on these as a regular menu item.

You know that The City of Mississauga "gave" Malton $200 (two hundred) dollars for their community festival last summer?

$200?!

If I were a Maltoner I'd love to take that in pennies and shove them all up a special someone's ass.

Best to you, Darkstar. And one day, Justice for Malton.

Malton is just too far, too small, too isolated, it can't be helped. Malton is to the rest of Mississauga as East Pakistan was to West Pakistan.

It's been my impression for many years that Malton is isolated from the rest of Miss. not only physically but psychically (hope I spelled that right). They seem to have more in common with Bramalea than with the rest of Miss.

Your point about travel time by transit is well taken. I'm sure it's not literally two hours, but still ... an express bus between Malton and the City Centre might be a small but significant step.

The larger issue you raise is valid too, of course. Malton is heavily populated by immigrants. As usual, they are more concerned with just scratching out a reasonable living than with matters like participating in the wider realm at an event such as you attended. Barriers of language exist for many of them, as well as a barrier of culture (going to such events just isn't on the agenda in many parts of the world, where you shut up and stay below the radar if you know what's good for you). Sad but true, and I don't pretend to have the answers.

Edit: Muse, not to oversimplify a complex question, but Malton has also suffered from some poor representation at City Hall over the past several years. I'm not impressed with Eve Adams, and she was of course preceded by the fondly remembered Cliff Gyles. Stronger representation might help a bit.

Yeah I'd be happy if we just handed malton over to brampton and let them take care of it. seems to fit in better there. we'll hang on to the airport of course however.

I don't think anyone will disagree with you over the fact that Malton is disconnected with the rest of the city. That general region (Rexdale/Malton/Bramalea) has always been "disconnected" from their respective cities but have always acted like one city amongst themselves.

I think it's relatively easy to look over Malton since it's so disjoint from the rest of the city, and only makes around 7% of the population. But I guess the question would be how to get people from there involved in things.

Malton's always been Mississauga's little talked about bastard son.

You should send your video to George Strombo as he (like me) are proud former Maltonites.

Maltonite sounds almost as catchy as Kryptonite. Do you also have superpowers? :)

It's been my impression for many years that Malton is isolated from the rest of Miss. not only physically but psychically (hope I spelled that right). They seem to have more in common with Bramalea than with the rest of Miss.
I think Malton has a little more in common with Rexdale than Bramalea, but certainly those three communities are interconnected in many ways. I believe there was a vote around the time of Mississauga's creation about whether they wanted to join the new city or (I could be wrong here) join Etobicoke. They went with Mississauga for reasons I still don't understand.

They could always resurrect "Toronto Gore" by connecting Malton up with the new subdivisions up north and E of Goreway...

That might not be a bad idea.

That's true. Thanks to the Clareville Conservation Area and the CN yards, the Ebenezer/Gore Road area is separated from the rest of Brampton like Malton is to Mississauga, but to a lesser extent.

Giving Malton to Brampton or creating Gore-Malton might help fix the Peel representation issue as well.

The idea of a MCC-Malton express bus isn't necessarily a bad one, going Westwood Mall-Airport Road-MCC on a much more direct route than the 7. It could go into the Airport terminal as well, which makes more sense than GO operating a MCC-YYZ shuttle bus, then take the 401 and 403 to the Square One terminal.

Mississauga Engagement

Few points:

Re: Attendance

The symposium had to be postponed by 3 weeks because of the storm at the start fo the month. I was surprised how quickly they rescheduled the event.

That being said, registration went from 500 registered participants for the original symposium date to less than 300 for the new date. People had months to plan to attend the original date, however only had less than 3 weeks to plan to attend the new date.

Re: Malton

I know for a fact that there was at least one women from Malton in attendance. She voluntered at my symposium held on the Saturday and told me all about the Friday night event.

The city went above and beyond promoting the symposium to everyone. There was advertisements just about everywhere in the city. I especially liked the screen saver ads on all the computer screens at the city libraries.

I truly believe the city made every effort this time around to be inclusive in the whole process.

For those not able to attend, I understand they recieved thousands of online submissions and puzzle pieces with suggestion written on them.

As for $200 to the Malton Festival, I asked about that, and the city is actually giving more to them than that amount. They didn't factor in the in-kind services the city will be providing. Also, I was just at a meeting this week at City Hall with the new Office of the Arts which is launching a $125,000 fund specifically for special events in the city, which I'm sure the Malton Festival will tap into.

Re: Youth

I got a frantic call from the event organizers the Wednesday before the symposium asking for youth. They were prepared to offer bus tickets and dinner to any young person planning to attend.

When the city rescheduled the symposium they conflicted with an event I was organizing the whole day Saturday which was attended by over 200 youth leaders, hence why the lack of youth at the city event.

Louroz

The most logical thing to do with Malton would be to give it to Toronto. It connects more to Rexdale than anywhere else. I think back in the 60's, that actually was considered.

Back