9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

azzo

Member Bio
Reaction score
The Gelato Society is a research based design collaborative Geoff Christou and Andrew Azzopardi. Our first project was an in-depth analysis of the Gardiner Expressway, Lakeshore Boulevard and its situation within the city. The conclusion, which is posted below, is an alternative proposal, one which actively engages the urban fabric of Toronto and its pedestrians.

1_gardiner-layout10061314.jpg

1_gardiner-layout1006132.jpg

1_gardiner-layout1006133.jpg

1_gardiner-layout1006134.jpg

1_gardiner-layout1006135.jpg

1_gardiner-layout1006136.jpg

1_gardiner-layout1006137.jpg

1_gardiner-layout1006138.jpg

1_gardiner-layout1006139.jpg

1_gardiner-layout10061310.jpg

The Gelato Society
www.gelatosociety.com/

This is definitely an interesting prospect, but unfortunately there are several interesting, and they are daunted by those promoting "Car Wars" instead of greater safety in the city.

This are some insane renders - let's grow some leafy green trees in the shadow of a hulking concrete thing - and, seriously, how hard it is to use "its" and "it's" correctly?

I have to say, the idea of taking a walk with my dog in a "park" where my view of the sky is blocked by a rusting, hulking, concrete monstrosity... is not my idea of leisure time. :(

Sorry, but even if you beautify the space under the expressway, plant trees and grass, chase away the squeegee kids... it's still going to look ugly.

I'm not a fan of tearing down the Gardiner, but I'm more in favour of tearing down the Gardiner than building something like this.

I applaud any idea that can help make spaces under the expressway friendlier however there are so many challenges with doing so that I just can't see that we'll ever have a coherent attempt at beautifying these areas. All of the salt that flies off the Gardiner during the winter and onto the areas below must be taken into consideration along with safety considerations such as when an accident occurs above (what goes flying over the side that could harm those below), people throwing trash out the window that lands below, who pays for this and who maintains the areas and so forth. For the most part I doubt these spaces will ever be destinations but with engaging ideas like those illustrated above would at least help break down the psychological barrier that currently exists in most areas of crossing underneath the expressway and make passing below it a much more pleasant experience and a most significant improvement in the landscape if achieved.

Back