News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

U

unimaginative2

I don't know how many people have seen Frank Gehry's entry in the competition to design Metro Hall. I can't find the picture on the internet, but it's in the big books on his past projects. It was meant to be down by the waterfront. It lacked the titanium swirls that some of us have come to associate with all Gehry architecture, but it's quite attractive, and I must say a hell of a lot nicer than the current Metro Hall!

Arthur Erickson also submitted a plan for a couple of towers where Metro Hall now sits - I don't think it was explicitly for Metro Hall, though.

unimaginative:

I've seen it. The location of the proposed building is also interesting - at the time, they're thinking of putting it where Waterclub now sits at the foot of York.

GB

On the other hand, this might have been the death knell for our current crop of architectural goodies. Imagine if during the height of the recession, the city of Toronto, soon to become the most cash-strapped metropolis of the industrialized world, had commissioned an over-the-top building for what would later on become one of the city's greatest white elephants? I think it would've left a bad taste in people's mouths.

That's a good point, Alchemist, but this definitely wasn't an over-the-top building. Much more in line with his earlier designs...maybe a bit like that trio of towers in Germany, I believe.

We sort of have an over-the-top building from that timethat turned out to be a great (literally) white elephant. It starts with Sky and ends in Dome.

Back