News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

W

wyliepoon

Sportsnet: NHL's Penguins moving to Hamilton?

From Sportsnet.ca

Link to article

Hamilton back in relocation mix
May 09, 2006

Sportsnet.ca -- The same company that twice tried to bring an NHL team to Hamilton, Ont., is now looking into the possibility of relocating the Pittsburgh Penguins there.

It is the same company that was behind previously failed bids to bring both the financially troubled Buffalo Sabres and the Ottawa Senators to town. Those deals fell apart when backers were found to keep the teams in place.

Now sources tell Sportsnet the group is going to put an offer in to purchase the Pittsburgh Penguins once offers to move the team are considered at the end of next month.

Councillor Terry Whitehead has been trying to land an NHL team in Hamilton for the past decade and has dealt with HHC Acquisition for the past three years. And though he knows who is behind the company, he's not revealing any identities.

"Let's put it this way, they're keeping their cards very close to their chest," Whitehead explained. "Negotiations are always tough and expectations are built and collapsed so I think they're being wise in being confidential about their approach."

The main sticking point in bringing any team to Hamilton has been the issue of territorial infringement and the amount of money that both the Toronto Maple Leafs and Buffalo Sabres would be entitled to if the team is moved to Southern Ontario. No one has said yet how that issue would be handled. In 2003, the lawyer for HHC simply said that he had "a strategy in place" but would not expand any further.

But Whitehead said in terms of viability, the Toronto-Buffalo corridor can definitely handle another pro hockey team.

"Hamilton is sports central. The reality is that it is an NHL city. It's unfortunate or may be fortunate that we have Toronto and Buffalo on our doorstep, and I believe that a third NHL team can be sustained in this area."

Ultimately a final decision is up to the league, and Hamilton has been passed over twice before -- in 1990 when franchises were awarded to Ottawa and Tampa Bay, and when the league expanded again in 1997.

"Their interest was expanding to the American market and it has been for a number of years," Whitehead said. "Now with the settlement, the CBA, it certainly makes it more viable for a small market to survive in the NHL, the very competitive NHL league but there hasn't been any discussion going forward that the NHL would ever entertain any expansion.

"I believe the only option we have is to pursue a team (that is) in the league now."

Question: Like Pittsburgh?

Answer: Like Pittsburgh.

Buffalo would be hurt badly - I'm sure the passport issue is making that team anxious. I won't worry about the Leafs - they priced themselves out of financial sympathy.

Why do I feel like i've read this article 10 times before... The team would do great in Hamilton, but I'm sure Bettman will manage to move it to Kansas City or Santa fe or Honolulu

This will never happen.

Nobody in the US has ever heard of Hamilton.

Gary Bettman will never let it happen.

This will never happen.

Never.

This will never happen.

Once upon a time a city named Hartford had an NHL team. The market could support it for sure. All the hockey fans not willing to give their left eye to go to a Leafs game would more than be enough to fill up the arena every night. Buffalo would be the real loser here not the Leafs.

I'd like Winnipeg to try and get a team back. With the salary cap and all they might be viable.

I know Hamilton could support it, but there's no way Bettman would allow an American team to move to Canada, further denting his chances of getting a better U.S. TV deal than the Outdoor Life Network.

Winnepeg could probably support a team now that we have a 90 cent dollar again.

Hockey team in Hamilton

There is little doubt that Hamilton and area (incl. Toronto) would support such a team. There is also little doubt that it would be spiked by the Maple Leafs and the Sabres. I hope no one in Hamilton is holding their breath waiting for this.

Re: Hockey team in Hamilton

Since Betteman took the healm in new york everything in Canada became second fiddle. Hamilton will not get an NHL team.

Never say never. It wouldn't surprise me now. I don't think that Bettman has the clout with the owners that he once had - and ultimately it's the owners that will make the decision. I think they are starting to realize that hockey in the USA is a regional sport, and that a nation wide network TV deal isn't needed for your team to suceed.

It's too bad that a hockey city like Pittsburgh is losing a team. Is the issue poor attendance due to stadium, crappy teams, or marketing?

Cleveland doesn't have a team. (Okay, now somebody's gonna suggest "Cleveland Steamers" as a name)

Back