News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

U

unimaginative2

Our streets are safe: The numbers tell the real story

JEFFREY SIMPSON

From Friday's Globe and Mail

E-mail Jeffrey Simpson | Read Bio | Latest Columns
Here are some facts. They come from Statistics Canada. You can check them on the agency's website, if you don't believe them.

Here they are. Violent crime dropped from 2001 to 2004. The homicide rate -- murders per thousand -- rose slightly (to 2.0 per 100,000 population in 2004 from 1.8 per 100,000 in 2000), but not so several other categories of crime. The attempted murder rate dropped during that period. Sexual assaults dropped. Other sexual offences dropped. Robbery rates dropped. Property crimes dropped, including break and entry and theft. (Motor vehicle thefts rose slightly.) Drug offences went up.

Read the numbers for yourselves, as citizens. They're easily available. They are apparently irrelevant, however, to newspaper and television line-up editors who sell their products in part through a heavy emphasis on crime reporting.

They are apparently also unknown to Canada's new Prime Minister. Or perhaps they are known to Stephen Harper and his Conservative government, but these politicians have deliberately decided to distort and misrepresent what is happening in Canada.

Take the Speech from the Throne. There, the government declared: "Unfortunately our safe streets and healthy communities are increasingly under threat of gun and drug violence." On Monday, Mr. Harper took his tough-on-crime message to the Canadian Professional Police Association. He warned that "safe streets and safe neighbourhoods. . . are threatened by rising levels of crime." He asserted that the "homicide rate is on the rise." The language of fear was omnipresent. "Times are changing," he said, threatening "our peaceful, law-abiding communities that are part of Canada's traditional identity and values." He continued: "In the last few months and years, we have witnessed growing media reports of drug, gun and gang violence, especially in the city of Toronto." Note the phrase, "media reports." The media, not just in Toronto, has feasted on crime as a way of boosting circulations and ratings. The old local television adage, "if it bleeds, it leads" has spilled into broadsheet newspapers.

Ace crime reporters have been hired. Crime stories are being pursued with special vigour. No wonder that citizens, when asked by pollsters, think that crime is rising. This is what their media are fixated on. The facts show the reverse.

Put another way, there are few areas of collective life where perception and reality are so at variance. And into that gap flow politicians with an agenda.

No wonder that citizens are misled when their own Prime Minister so wantonly misstates the facts.

When a murder occurred on Toronto's Yonge Street midway through the election campaign, all media hell broke loose. Politicians of every stripe jumped on the story, promising to get "tough on crime." Even Jack Layton of the NDP wore that ill-fitting political suit.

The Conservatives, of course, reminded everyone of their policies to impose mandatory sentences for gun-related offences and those related to drug-trafficking, paroled offenders and repeat offenders; the list served up again this week by Mr. Harper.

The promise, pollsters found, was wildly popular but of course not very useful in clamping down on serious, violent crime, the seeds of which lie elsewhere and the antidote to which is seldom a minimum sentence.

The promise was successfully directed to a political target (Toronto) that felt itself under siege, whereas the city is beset by particular problems related to gangs.

Gang violence is a serious challenge but it requires a pointed response rather than a blunderbuss approach. It must be dealt with through better and more omnipresent policing, but also policies that get at the social roots of gang violence. And that isn't easy, since those roots often lie in broken families, no male role models for young teenagers, widespread violence and disorder within the community itself, low levels of education.

There is a need for a more serious attack on crime, especially in those pockets of urban areas where it has grown. But escalated rhetoric about "safe streets" being threatened and "healthy communities increasingly under threat" represents political pandering that violates the facts.

jsimpson@globeandmail.com
------------------------------------------------------------
I would bet that the entire increase in murders came from Robert Pickton.

Nice column and something I'm always telling friends and co-workers, to no avail. People really do buy into this whole "culture of fear" and once they have, it's next to impossible to convince them otherwise (despite solid data).

A woman at my workplace actually said to me the other day:

"Thank God James Loney is out of Toronto and up in Thunder Bay (his hometown) as the streets of Toronto these days are no better than Baghdad!"

You should have slapped her.

EDIT: Ok, maybe that came across as advocating violence against women or the intellectually handicapped; thus the best answer would have been to modify this quote from Billy Madison appropriately:

Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response was there anything that could even be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul!

It doesn't really help when you have the Prime Minister of the country lying about crime. Right wingers generally do; it provides fodder for their agenda.

Simpson is good.

This kind of stuff is so frustrating. The key sentence in the article was the one that said Toronto's problem is specifically gang violence that requires a pointed response to deal with that issue alone. I don't think conservatives will ever get it.

It doesn't help that some media outlets are following the mantra of "if it bleeds, it leads". CityTV and National Post comes as the worst offenders - the former with shrill anchorman/women proclaiming the urgent, apocalyptic news that is a homocide, followed by street interviews of equally hysterical individuals extolling the same visions.

As to the Post, there is a weekly "crime map" for the City of Toronto (and City of Toronto only), nuff said.

AoD

I find promos for CFTO/CTV news to be appaling, even worse than CITY.

It is not just the outlets, it is many of the journalists themselves. They see their reporting of crime as a "service" to help inform citizens of the need to motivate governments to act on crime and safety issues.

Too many journalists view themselves as possessing "facts" when they actually just hold an opinion. The inability to distinguish between these leaves journalists in the position of manufacturing news rather than covering it. The fact that violent crime has been dropping for decades ought to be a major news story, as their is no clear understanding as to why this is actually happening - even in the face of the fact that what legally constitutes such crime has actually widened over that time.

Global is awful for escalating fear. Watch all of their news ads; all are fear mongering. Completely useless, Bullshit news. And Lez-lie Roberts makeup sucks to boot!

I find promos for CFTO/CTV news to be appaling, even worse than CITY.

I agree 100%, it's becoming increasingly sensationalized to the point where I'm tempted to right the CRTC or the broadcast standards council. For the past two weeks, the leading stories have been crime cases anchored by the crime reporters (are they all crime reporters now?).

My mom watches the Global toronto news in windsor before the CBC news comes on. When we talk, she always comments on how dangerous Toronto is, and I tell her not to watch Global.

^Mine lives in Mississauga. Same concerns. That and the fact that bad weather is about to destroy the planet. Apparently, twenty-four hour weather coverage is habit-forming.

"Gang violence is a serious challenge but it requires a pointed response rather than a blunderbuss approach. It must be dealt with through better and more omnipresent policing, but also policies that get at the social roots of gang violence"

Has any governmental body in Canada or the U.S. actually applied these alternative methods of preventing crime succesfully, on a large scale?

I'm not knowledgeable in this area so I'm curious if there's a study out available that measures/analyzes/reviews the long term effectiveness of preventative measures on crime either on its own or compared against conventional methods such as increase policing/enforcement

ecsider,

As you probably know, the interest in policing as a means to curbing potential gang violence is an approach that plays well in municipal politics. It is easy for elected officials and police to speak of how they will deal with an existing gang problem (more police, etc.). Methods for preventing the emergence of gangs are a little beyond the scope and purpose of the police alone.

Many years ago I read some papers published by (of all people) cultural anthropologists, who were examining the elements necessary for the formation of gangs. While not an answer to your question, this would suggest that approaches to stopping or mitigating gang violence outside policing is not a well-formed activity in society - which is unfortunate.

Ah, they don't make gangs like they used ta

BOWERYBOYS.jpg

Back