News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Its been almost 2 years since the deal was signed. This is what they said at the time:

On Metrolinx’s busiest routes, between eight and 18 trains per hour will run, meaning customers can arrive at a station and be on a train within minutes.

Metrolinx and ONxpress will now start working through a proposed timetable, and associated required infrastructure, that could ultimately see train service stopping at stations like Exhibition, Bloor and East Harbour GO stations as frequently as every three minutes in the future and stations like Burlington and Pickering GO every five minutes.

On evenings and weekends, services to most stations could be as frequent as between every six to 15 minutes, meaning customers no longer need to worry about missing a train.

That is very ambitious and from what im hearing is that by the end of spring we should have super concrete details about this plan.

Its been almost 2 years since the deal was signed. This is what they said at the time:

That is very ambitious and from what im hearing is that by the end of spring we should have super concrete details about this plan.
I'm sure those statements are in the fullness of time at ultimate buildout, and not a near-term aspiration. Crazy to think there are cities out there that run their subways with 20 minutes or greater headways and Pickering might see 5 minute regional rail frequency.

Even the 15 minutes promise will never apply to Milton so it's misleading already, in a way. So I don't mind the way they're marketing it, tbh.

Even the 15 minutes promise will never apply to Milton so it's misleading already, in a way. So I don't mind the way they're marketing it, tbh.
Never is long time. Feds already promised funding for every 15-minute service on the Milton line. Province has it in the long-term regional transportation plan.

It's certainly not, and never was, part of the current plans.

It will happen as it's a matter of time as well cost. Cost will be around $3 Billion at that time plus the cost to take the Line to Cambridge. There been 3 plans so far with $$ numbers, but need and EA go get it off the ground/track now.

What you will not see is true EMU on either line, but the current technology at that time.

If one wants to look to the future, its possible that the Milton Line could end up in London along with KW line since they service 2 different markets in a way. Doing the London market by both routes will required a different type of service and equipment. Don't need an 8-12 car train for London service using shorter trains that can split from the Main train in Kitchener and Cambridge. Service will not be the 15 minute one, but one that can be 1-6 hours based on ridership.

Last I checked, Alghabra only promised hourly service, he never said anything about 15m service.
I don't remember any mention of frequency. Just that it was all-day two-way. Which in terms of GO has always been greater than 1-hour frequencies.

With them already hitting 5 trains an hour in AM peak, the infrastructure funded would be enough to provide 15 minutes service. The feds were promising to fund 50% of infrastructure, not operating.

GO Expansion benefits compared to other recent transit projects.

GFR4lWKXcAAvNme.jpeg

It's misguided to think that new riders are the be all and end all of a transit project. When your existing crosstown surface routes are slow and your subway lines are overcrowded, you have to work on making transit work better for existing riders, even if it's expensive to do so. Many people started their adult lives taking the TTC and then bought a car because they were so dissatisfied with the TTC. We need to avoid that.

It's misguided to think that new riders are the be all and end all of a transit project. When your existing crosstown surface routes are slow and your subway lines are overcrowded, you have to work on making transit work better for existing riders, even if it's expensive to do so. Many people started their adult lives taking the TTC and then bought a car because they were so dissatisfied with the TTC. We need to avoid that.
But actually we can't make existing routes faster b/c

1. We need cars to have 4 lanes on downtown streets
2. Everyone needs a subway/LRT stop every half block

Back