News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I really wish something could be done with the massive hydro towers that run right through the area. Try as I may I just can't seem to ignore them, and a day at the 'beach' beneath a hydro tower just doesn't seem to do it for me.

flar said:
00282.jpg

Beautiful shot!

Hamilton Beach?

Interesting, I didn't know that.

It's not a cleverly disguised hydro station (I do know what you're talking about, and it looks like it could be). I don't know what's in that building, I think the sign said something about Department of Corrections or something?

The sigHns for these developments like to downplay that they're in Hamilton. One of them says "Burlington Bay's best selling townhome community!"

Thanks all. One of these shots even made it to the daily banner photo :)

I was born in Hamilton, our family moved to Burlington in '54

That area was always known as Burlington Beach.

It was an extension of the Lake Ontario shoreline from downtown Burlington. Theoretically when you crossed the canal you were in Hamilton but I don't ever remember anyone calling it Hamilton Beach.

And the bridge was always known The Burlington Bay Skyway.

Hamilton Harbour is officially Burlington Bay too. It may have been called Burlington Beach at times, but the Beach has been known as the Hamilton Beach community for some time now. They even have signs up and their own site like this: http://hamiltonbeachcommunity.com/forum/index.php

Probably mostly called simply the Beach.

Edit: here's a map from 1920

attachment.php

Last edited:
Hamilton Beach vs Burlington Beach

I guess being from Burlington we called the entire area Burlington Beach although as the Cloke's map shows it's two distinct areas.

I remember the carnival rides that were on the Hamilton side of the canal when I was a kid and my buddies and I used to drive out to the Dynes Hotel on the Hamilton side where, if you could see over the bar, they'd serve you.

Smelt fishing

Gramps used to take me smelt netting off that pier. Thank you.
My father used to take me smelt fishing off the old breakwater in Burlington. It was a rite of passage--I was probably 11 or so at the time

I remember him sitting down in the rec room with a knife, a bucket and a plastic container. He'd gut a hundred or so of them and then we'd have a fish fry.

Great pix! Is 00150 a house or one of those incognito hydro stations. I've always wanted to live in a building like that.

The gym doors to Bell Cairn Memorial Public School. Later became a training facility for prison guards I think

Hamilton Beach?

I was born in Hamilton, our family moved to Burlington in '54

That area was always known as Burlington Beach.

It was an extension of the Lake Ontario shoreline from downtown Burlington. Theoretically when you crossed the canal you were in Hamilton but I don't ever remember anyone calling it Hamilton Beach.

And the bridge was always known The Burlington Bay Skyway.

I grew up on the Hamilton Beach, which we called the Beach Strip or the Strip. Only people from Burlington ever called it the Burlington Beach and we mostly took offense when they did. We tended to call the bay "Hamilton Harbour" or just "the Bay" not Burlington Bay. Burlington was where the rich people lived. The Strip was mostly Stelco families. I lived (1955-1973) across from Bell Cairn School next to the Canvas Shop which (before that) was a little general store. At that time there was a little restaurant, Ryan's Drug Store, a barber shop and The Store in that little string of shops.

Hamilton Beach vs Burlington Beach

I guess being from Burlington we called the entire area Burlington Beach although as the Cloke's map shows it's two distinct areas.

I remember the carnival rides that were on the Hamilton side of the canal when I was a kid and my buddies and I used to drive out to the Dynes Hotel on the Hamilton side where, if you could see over the bar, they'd serve you.

Remember the bowling alley? Pin boys? We tried to hit them with the bowling balls

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope flar isn't mad because I'm bumping this thread after 14 years... because this is actually Port Dover not Hamilton.

Only beach thread I could find... and good for a chuckle (from UT's favourite source of info BlogTO ;-). Posted by rousseau over at ssp.

Real palms trees lol. 🌴🌴🌴

Screenshot:
Port-Dover-palms.jpg

Video:

Port Dover has had real palms for years and years and years. The adjacent restaurant owns them and digs them out every fall to put them in storage so that they last the winter, re-installing them in the spring.

Back