News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Viking71

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hello Torontonians,

I`m new in this forum and hope to find many interesting information about Toronto and GTA.

I`m from Germany and visited Toronto and Ontario in 1987 with my former Soccer Club. Our former coach Heinz Brüninghaus (maybe someone knows him) was a kind of professional soccer player in Canada. As he lived in Ontario for several years he knew a lot of people, places and host families where we lived during our stay in Canada. We have visited Toronto, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, London, Kitchener, St. Thomas, Windsor where we played several soccer matches. We also played at the Wayne Gretzky Soccer Field in Brantford.

We met many people during our trip and maybe there is somebody in this forum who can remember soccer matches against the German amateur soccer club SKG Walldorf (near Frankfurt/Germany) in 1987. I don`t think so, but it would be very funny:D.

Some people I remember are Christa and Karen Schuller from Kitchener, Gerry (or Garry?) Schatz from Kitchener/Waterloo, Karl Mai (or May?) from London (he has a son, who was/is a very good soccer player!), a girl called Christine from London (in 1987 she was a girl and should be a woman now :D. Unfortunately I know only her first name).

Anyway, since then I`m a big fan of Canada and especially Toronto and GTA. Unfortunately I was able to visit Canada only this once, but I hope I can spend another vacation there in the future.

My biggest dream would be to work and live in Canada with my family, but I think this would be a too big step for my wife:) I`m working as a forwarding agent and our company has several branches in Canada among others in Mississauga. Therefore there would be absolutely a chance for me…;)

I also like the Toronto sports clubs Toronto Meaple Leafs, Toronto Blue Jays and FC Toronto. Unfortunately there are no sportscasts on German TV where I can watch NHL, Baseball or Soccer from North America.

From now I`ll visit this forum regularly and would be very glad to meet new people here.

With best regards from Germany

Jörg

Last edited:
Guten Tag!,

Glad to hear you'd like to live in Canada. I always thought of Germany as a great place to live myself, though Canada does have its charm. Don't know any of the names you mention but there's always a chance it may be familiar to someone here.

It's nice to hear you like our sports teams--you might be able to follow them on the internet through streaming video (adthe.net or justin.tv) since they aren't on TV there. I'm a great fan of the German national team myself, and have followed them through various World Cups beginning with the tough loss to the Italians in '82.

Funny you mention visiting Toronto in 1987 as I did a cycling tour of Germany as a teen in 1986. As in your case we thoroughly enjoyed the experience and I'd like to go back to Germany again. You do make some of the best beers in the world!

Bis spater, (hmm, where's the umlaut?)

Brian

Last edited:
I visited Germany in 2005 - Berlin and Leipzig. Wonderful country. Welcome to UT.

Thank you very much for your feedback!:)

@ Brian: Germany is not too bad, but we have many problems here. Due to the global economic crisis thousands of jobs are endangered. Currently we have over 3 million unemployed people and there will be many more in the future, if the crisis continues...:(

I already use the internet to get information about the Toronto clubs. But it`s a pity that we don`t have a TV show in Germany, which shows NHL, MLS or MLB. Not even a summary of a few minutes...

Yes, the german national soccer team is on the way back to old strength. Jürgen Klinsmann began to nominate many young players for the world cup 2006. These young players brought back a more technical way of playing. In the years before the performances of the german teams were very often just terrible...

It`s funny, that you visited Germany a year before I visited Canada:D.

Yes, the beer it very good, but in my opinion the best beer is from Czech Republic. During my stay in Canada we drunk Molson Canadian and Labatts Blue. It tasted good, if I remember rightly... oh god, I was just 16 years old... Time passes too fast...

@ Mustapha: Thanks for your message. Yes, Berlin and Leipzig are beautiful cities with a long and interesting history. We absolutely have nice places in Germany. Espacially the North- and Baltic Sea in the north and the Alps in the south.

Best regards
Jörg

Last edited:

Back