8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

RapidTransit

Member Bio
Reaction score
Looks like Hitachi recently acquired property in Schomberg Ontario. Just north west of Toronto

I assume it's a facility to build cars for the Ontario line, and I would also assume it would put them in good position to compete with Alstom for Subway cars for TTC.

Looks like Hitachi recently acquired property in Schomberg Ontario. Just north west of Toronto

I assume it's a facility to build cars for the Ontario line, and I would also assume it would put them in good position to compete with Alstom for Subway cars for TTC.
Unfortunately, they are not pre-qualified to bid on TTCs new train fleet. These manufacturers were shortlisted from the RFQ.
  • Alstom Transport Canada Inc.
  • CRRC Qingdao Sifang Co., Ltd.
  • Hyundai Rotem Company
  • Kawasaki Rail Car, Inc

The division in Schomberg is Hitachi Astemo. Nothing on their website speaks to transit. They are involved in systems that might be used in transit but it seems they are mostly focused on automotive transportation solutions.

Hitachi was selected for Ontario Line vehicles. It’s possible they convert this plant for final assembly of those vehicles.

I wonder does the Ontario Line order have a clause similar to TTC orders that 25% must be made in Canada.

Hitachi was selected for Ontario Line vehicles. It’s possible they convert this plant for final assembly of those vehicles.

I wonder does the Ontario Line order have a clause similar to TTC orders that 25% must be made in Canada.
I suppose anything is possible, but right now the Schomberg site is not Hitachi Rail.

According to this tweet the CanCon requirement was dropped for the Ontario Line order to 10% from 25%.

According to this tweet the CanCon requirement was dropped for the Ontario Line order to 10% from 25%.

The rules only apply if it is convenient. Maybe someone from Hitachi contributed to Doug ford's campaign.

But sometimes it's about merit. The workers in Thunder Bay will have an opportunity to build new subways for the TTC and possibly more Bi-levels for GO transit.

Back