News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

barrytron3030

Member Bio
Reaction score
Dear infrastructure and athletics enthusiasts,

If we were to host a Summer Olympics, would we need to build another stadium, equal to or larger than the Rogers Centre?

I'd imagine we'd need another soccer-friendly stadium to host the soccer tournament. But would we need a Beijing Bird's Nest as well? Is the Rogers Centre sufficient?

If we were to host a Summer Olympics, would we need to build another stadium, equal to or larger than the Rogers Centre?

I'd imagine we'd need another soccer-friendly stadium to host the soccer tournament. But would we need a Beijing Bird's Nest as well? Is the Rogers Centre sufficient?
It would also help with Canada getting the FIFA World Cup as well.

If it has a roof (fixed or retractable), then it can be used to host the Super Bowl as well.

However, such a stadium would be very expensive (right down to the necessity of selling seats to season ticket holders with too much money).

If Toronto were to be awarded the games - of course they would need a new stadium - which would help Canada's 2026 World Cup bid. Soccer games at that Olmypics could be played at Rogers Centre, in Hamilton and in Ottawa.

It should be a modular stadium that could be downsized to 40,000.

There's a whole thread on the Toronto 2024 Olympic bid. It has lots of comments about infrastructure etc.

Canada bidding for the World Cup is a joke. We've only qualified once and the results were disastrous.

Actually wasn't a complete catastrophe. It's true we lost every game and disn't score a goal but we were 11 minutes from tying France and lost to Hungary and USSR by 2-0. There have been worse showing at world cups.

The short answer is yes....Rogers Centre cannot accomodate a track. So while there would be good uses for a stadium like Rogers Centre at an Olympics...it would not mean we don't need a new stadium.

...and Bon Jovi is thinking of bringing the NFL to Toronto.

The minimum size for an NFL stadium is 60,000 seats.

This would mean that if Toronto gets the NFL, then a new stadium would have to be built anyways, which can help with the Olympics and the FIFA World Cup.

Actually wasn't a complete catastrophe. It's true we lost every game and disn't score a goal but we were 11 minutes from tying France and lost to Hungary and USSR by 2-0. There have been worse showing at world cups.

I'm sure there have been worse World Cup performances; that doesn't make Canada's lone appearance any less disastrous than I stated. Not scoring a single goal is pretty much as bad as it gets.

Back