9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

androiduk

Member Bio
Reaction score
The former Imperial Oil Building at 111 St. Clair West has to have one of the more colourful histories amongst Toronto office buildings. The building was designed by Alvin Mathers of Mathers & Haldenby and was supposed to be Toronto's new city hall but was rejected by the city which subsequently held an international design competition that was won by Finnish architect Viljo Revell. The design and plans were then purchased by Imperial Oil for their new St. Clair headquarters. The building was put up in 1957 during the Cold War. Such features as thick walls, small windows, large offices and wide hallways as well as it's relative isolation from the core made officials decide to use the building as a hospital in case of a nuclear attack. Owing to the buildings proximity to the wealthy residents of Deer Park and Forest Hill it was decided not to use the very noisy practice of riveting the steel together and instead the entire frame of the building was welded making it the largest welded frame building in the world at the time of it's completion. Imperial Oil left the building a number of years ago and it has been sitting empty waiting for a buyer.

oil1.jpg

oil2.jpg

oil3.jpg

The former Imperial Oil Building at 111 St. Clair West has to have one of the more colourful histories amongst Toronto office buildings. The building was designed by Alvin Mathers of Mathers & Haldenby and was supposed to be Toronto's new city hall but was rejected by the city which subsequently held an international design competition that was won by Finnish architect Viljo Revell. The design and plans were then purchased by Imperial Oil for their new St. Clair headquarters. The building was put up in 1957 during the Cold War. Such features as thick walls, small windows, large offices and wide hallways as well as it's relative isolation from the core made officials decide to use the building as a hospital in case of a nuclear attack. Owing to the buildings proximity to the wealthy residents of Deer Park and Forest Hill it was decided not to use the very noisy practice of riveting the steel together and instead the entire frame of the building was welded making it the largest welded frame building in the world at the time of it's completion. Imperial Oil left the building a number of years ago and it has been sitting empty waiting for a buyer.

thank you for that history! i walk by that building frequently, and while i know its been empty for quite a while, i had no idea of the history, or the strange story of the acquisition of the City Hall design. how odd! i've often thought that this building is extremely unlikely to ever find a buyer, especially in the present economic climate for commercial real estate, at the same time a condo conversion sounds almost as unlikely. as well, given the method of construction you describe, tearing it down sounds like it would be extraordinarily difficult. it seems fated to be Toronto's largest while elephant. its fine by me anyway, i'd hate to see it go--as i've always been fond of these hulking Stalin-lite types of stone buildings. the building on the corner of University and Edward is another 50's behemoth that is quite nice...

19098546.png

As condo conversions go, it would be awfully Strangelovian.

Worth noting is that it actually once had a public observation level--imagine that reopening for a Doors Open event; or even inserting a Manulife/Park Hyatt/Scaramouche-type restaurant/bar up there...

Instead of building a new structure at Bay and Grosvenor, the Ontario Government could repurpose this structure. The location isn't proximal to the Legislature, but it's built in a style that shouts Government and mirrors the feel of existing structures in the Wellesley Block campus.

Instead of building a new structure at Bay and Grosvenor, the Ontario Government could repurpose this structure. The location isn't proximal to the Legislature, but it's built in a style that shouts Government and mirrors the feel of existing structures in the Wellesley Block campus.

True, but in addition to the locational issues, the cost of the land ($45.0M) and renovations would be substantially higher than building a new building on Bay.

Last edited:
I hope it doesn't come to implosion given the history of the building. Has it been recognized as a heritage structure?

I hope it doesn't come to implosion given the history of the building. Has it been recognized as a heritage structure?

It's "listed" on the Inventory of Heritage Properties:

From: http://app.toronto.ca/HeritagePreservation/details.do?folderRsn=2432359&propertyRsn=202877

Heritage Property Detail

Address: 111 ST CLAIR AVE W

Ward: 22
List Date: Feb 03, 2005
Intention Date:
By-Law: N/A
Part IV Date:
Part V Date:
Heritage District: N/A
District Status: N/A
Heritage Easement Ag:
Registration Date:
Building Type: Commercial
Architect/Builder:
Construction Yr.:
Details: Imperial Oil Building, 1957; Mathers & Haldenby architects; adopted by City Council on February 1, 2 & 3, 2005
Demolition Date:
Primary Address: 111 ST CLAIR AVE W

Last fall I took one of the Heritage Toronto walks along St Clair and we were told that they had just finished cleaning up a massive oil leak in the Imperial Oil building's parking area - to the east of the building. Apparently old(Imperial?) oil tanks had leaked. A local said that this was cleared up so the building could be sold.

Back in the 1960s around Christmas time the windows would spell "NOEL". This was done by leaving selected offices lights turned on.

Wonder how hard it'd be to get away with that today (i.e. on "multicultural" grounds)

Wonder how hard it'd be to get away with that today (i.e. on "multicultural" grounds)

Uhh, not too hard at all, considering the majority of Torontonians do celebrate Christmas, even if they're not religious Christians. Remember the uproar when Mel Lastman tried to have a "Holiday Tree"?

Back