40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

wild goose chase

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Chicago
Maybe it's just perception but from someone who grew up in Toronto now living in Chicago, it looks like union activity and the bargaining power of public employees seems stronger in the city than even in the American cities that are (were?) known for their labour movements. I recall many kinds of public workers city-wide, from librarians to transit workers going on strike, bargaining etc. growing up in Toronto, but less so in US cities even in the Midwest and Northeast (like Boston, NYC). Maybe it's just a cross-border difference rather than one specific to Toronto?

The union density (% of workforce that's unionized) is much higher in Canada than the US. I don't have figures for Toronto specifically, but union density in Ontario is around 28%.

I think union density is below 25% in every US state except New York.

The union density (% of workforce that's unionized) is much higher in Canada than the US. I don't have figures for Toronto specifically, but union density in Ontario is around 28%.

I think union density is below 25% in every US state except New York.

That makes sense.

I'd imagine that for public employees though the difference would be less great. Would transit workers or public school teachers be any less unionized or have any less bargaining power in Chicago or New York than in Toronto? I do feel like picket lines are (were?) a more common sight in Toronto. Maybe workers in the other cities are more satisfied and feel less of a need to resorting to a strike in many situations.

Last edited:
I have no problem with private sector unions (as in there must be a reason for the workforce to unionize in the first place and there is a ceiling to 'demands').

Public sector unions are a major problem for me. What is happening with teachers and the police is almost criminal. They know they can ask ask ask because the government has 'bottomless' pockets.

Our Oakville warehouse workers are on strike right now, which means that the office staff have to work from home. It is a minor annoyance.

Maybe it's just perception but from someone who grew up in Toronto now living in Chicago, it looks like union activity and the bargaining power of public employees seems stronger in the city than even in the American cities that are (were?) known for their labour movements. I recall many kinds of public workers city-wide, from librarians to transit workers going on strike, bargaining etc. growing up in Toronto, but less so in US cities even in the Midwest and Northeast (like Boston, NYC). Maybe it's just a cross-border difference rather than one specific to Toronto?

Toronto transit works lost some power under Ford with essential service legislation that bans them from striking. I think also CUPE went easy on the Ford administration but they're gearing up to stand tough against Tory.

Back