9.3K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

ganjavih

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hey UT folks, I need your help. I have the following itinerary planned and would like to know how to book it to get the best deal. Are there any passes that would make it cheaper? Would an ISIC card help? Can I book in person at the last minute? How much better is 1st class? How hard is it to connect trains?

Here's the info:

2 adults travelling (one with an ISIC card)

ES-9462 Depart Rome 06:50, Arrive Bologna 09:34
R-2248 Depart Bologna 09:48, Arrive Brennero Brenner 14:52
R-5222 Depart Brennero Brenner 15:05, Arrive Innsbruck 15:43

and then...

R-5424 Depart Innsbruck 16:38, Arrive Munich 19:27

and then...

The night train from Munich to Prague (D-Nacht)
Munich dep 23:08 D-Nacht, Prague arr 08:15

What should I do?

I know many of these trains cannot be booked from Canada, so I'll have to wait until I get there (unless I should get some sort of pass). The main issue is I want it as cheap as possible.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Ganj,

How many countries are you visiting and how many days do you expect to be traveling by train? Your best bet might be to get a Eurail pass which will be mailed to you in Canada (if you have enough time), and then can be validated at any relatively major rail station in Europe. Otherwise, I would just book online.

2nd class is better than VIA Coach and, unlike in Canada, you can move freely about the train and visit the dining car for a long time if you get tired of sitting in one seat. I wouldn't bother with 1st.

My only recommendation is that you may have to reserve seats on some of the busier routes. Bologna-Brenner might be worth reserving (you can do this at any EU rail station, again, so you might as well do it on the first day) because it can get full, and if you're traveling with a group it will either be hard to get seats or you might get stuck sitting in the smoking section (not fun).

Hope this helps

Thanks for the tips, Hipster. This is my only rail travel for the entire trip, so I'm not sure a rail pass is worth it. Do you know what the perks of 1st class are?

Also, do you know if there are restrictions on which trains you can take with the Eurail Pass? I would be taking the Eurostar Italia, Regional trains, and the D-Nacht overnighter.

Last edited:
I've taken 1st class in Germany before when I was a kid and my grandparents paid for it, and I would say that, roomier seating aside, the only thing it guarantees you is that you will be sitting beside quiet businesspeople rather than running the risk of having loud teenagers or small children screaming in the compartment. That's not a big risk, though, especially on D-nacht and Eurostar Italia. I'm not sure if the Eurail pass will work for those, but I think the website might have a better idea. As for regional rail, there is virtually no difference between 1st and 2nd class. They're long and often don't have a restaurant or a snack cart, so pack food. Any reason you're taking Regionals instead of InterCities on the route through Austria?

I remember that the Eurail pass was a good deal if you were 25 and under. After that, it's kind of a toss-up whether it's worth even getting, or not, especially since those are the only trips you will be taking by rail.

I'm unclear whether you want to spend time in each of the places in between, or not.

If your goal is simply to get from from Rome to Munich, then you might want to check out discount airlines (maybe through something like Travelocity.ca or Expedia.ca).

The train is NOT necessarily the cheapest way to get through Europe (unless you're under 25 and unless you want to stop off at a different place each day).

2 years ago in Germany, the train from Frankfurt to Berlin cost 95 euros, whereas a discount flight on a regional charter was 55 euros.
_______

While I'm not sure whether discount charter airline flights are available between Rome and Munich - if you're looking for the cheapest possible, then the bus is often cheaper (I took a bus from Brussels to Paris one time).

... p.s. I know it's the bus, and I know the connotations about taking a bus, but I just mention this because a lot of people never think of this option when looking for cheap travel in Europe. It might be difficult to check into bus fares online... I happened to notice the cheaper Brussels-Paris busfare while in the train station waiting in line to book a train ticket (back in the 1990's).

Good luck, and enjoy your trip.

Hi Northstar,

I'll be taking the train on this route just for the fun of it. To enjoy the scenery, take a little peek at Innsbruck during a 1h stop, and go through the Alps. Flying would be cheaper for sure, but I thought this would be fun.

Thanks for the bus tip. It seems the overnight train from Munich to Prague no longer runs, so I may have to take the bus.

You can book most European trains through Eurorail. http://www.raileurope.ca/canada/index.htm
Though you pay them for the bookings and for delivery it CAN be cheaper to get tickets this way because you get advance purchase discounts and these can be as high as 50%. From what I remember you can use student cards too. At least it's a good way to see what's possible.

Thanks for the tips, Hipster. This is my only rail travel for the entire trip, so I'm not sure a rail pass is worth it. Do you know what the perks of 1st class are?

Also, do you know if there are restrictions on which trains you can take with the Eurail Pass? I would be taking the Eurostar Italia, Regional trains, and the D-Nacht overnighter.

i took a 1st class train from Ulm to Berlin last summer and basically hipster is right. you also get complimentary snacks every so often. you can also order coffee and food from your seat instead of having to go to the dining car.

there is definitely no need to take 1st class on regional trains as there is usually plenty of room to sit in 2nd class.

Ganj, in terms of connecting from train to train, it is usually pretty easy. Trains always use the same platforms day in and day out, so that info is posted on boards in every station. You'll usually be able to find diagrams of the consist too - exactly how many cars there'll be, and where the first class and second class and dining cars are, and where to wait on the platform.

It's like they know what they're doing over there.

Anyway, in terminal-stations everything is usually on one level and you just walk towards the exit, then walk out along the connecting platform. None of this silly lining up in the departures hall until the grumpy VIA staff is ready for you. At through-stations there will be corridors running under the platforms that you pop down to, then up again for the one you'll be leaving on. Trains typically run right on schedule, so tight connections are usually not a problem. The rail companies are quick to re-book when there are any delays, and it's usually not a problem as there are usually seats available on following trains, which tend to have frequent departures.

It's all so damn simple really. Does anyone who works for VIA read this forum? Hello?

Surprisingly, the english of the counter staff at Munich is really poor. I took the train from there to attend training courses at the NATO School at Oberammergau. One would think that with the 300 or so students who take the train every Sunday for the school there would be a person or two with decent english but nein. However, if you arrive early enough, there is a Canadian lady who works in a travel office away from the main hall (near the money exchange) who will help you out. She is a contact for all of us military guys who go through Munich (and weary students who happen on her).

None of this silly lining up in the departures hall until the grumpy VIA staff is ready for you.

That's why there is VIA 1, and the opportunity to drink and watch television as you wait for your train to run late.

Then drink more on board as your train moves on to its destination (to be late on arrival).

Sorry, VIA and it's alcohol service are of no help to travel planning in Germany.

Jeffrey Simpson once remarked that if you have to bring a book to pass the time while waiting to pick someone up from a VIA train, you might as well bring War and Peace.

Does anyone who works for VIA read this forum? Hello?

People work for VIA rail?

Ah, the VIA memories flood in...

"May we have your attention please.

We are experiencing a delay as we wait for another train to pass us. We should be underway in fifteen minutes."

That's okay, pour me another drink. I've built in hours of cushion time.

Then along came Porter.

Some misplaced loyalty demands that I mention that on a month-long North America rail trip back in 1998 when they had just started selling continent-wide passes (cancelled recently by Amtrak I was told), our journey began with 3 days aboard The Canadian (trip now takes 3 1/2 days - that's progress for you) and it was by far the best leg of our whole journey. Both 'Silver and Blue Class' on the Canadian and VIA 1 on the corridor do a good job of pampering. We loved the trip. I'd do it again. Dome cars rock.

My reference is to corridor travel exclusively. VIA 1 is very good, but being late easily one-third of the time can get a tad annoying (and in fairness, it's not always VIA's fault).

I'd love to do a trip in one of those dome cars. I don't think I'd mind being late when riding in one.

Back