News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

I was 'amused' to see they describe service reductions as "Service changes" and the, few, service increases as "Service Increases".

"Customer Service Excellence is a priority for my administration", Rob Ford.

Liar, liar, pants on fire. This proves that Rob Ford is anti-transit. All this despite a 5% increase in TTC ridership.

I guess Rob Ford had expected a 10% ridership reduction, like almost everywhere else, ignoring reality.

The complete list, in PDF form, can be downloaded from the TTC at this link.

Last edited:
there cutting queen and spadina service ? hmm, that doesnt seem to smart to me. More like a declaration of war against riders.

Cutting service on already overcrowed routes? Utter failure on Ford, Stintz and the TTC Management's part- I hope this blows up in their faces.

There was plenty of understanding but small comfort from TTC executives. Webster conceded the system is reducing service in January because of budget constraints imposed by the city.

“Service is the most important thing. We get that. But the reality is we don’t have the money to maintain our service,” he said.

http://www.thestar.com/news/transportation/article/1092382--ttc-riders-bring-their-beefs-to-the-top

Last edited:
Some examples of the service cuts on what could have been Transit City LRT lines in future:

Along what will be the Eglinton Crosstown LRT:

34 EGLINTON EAST

• Service change

The service will be changed, to reduce the TTC’s operating costs. During the morning peak period from Monday to Friday, the combined service west of Kennedy Station will change from every 4 minutes to every 4 minutes 30 seconds. The service east of Kennedy Station will change from every 8 minutes to every 9 minutes. In the midday from Monday to Friday the service will change from every 6 minutes 45 seconds to every 8 minutes 30 seconds.

• 32 EGLINTON WEST

Service change

Service will be changed, to reduce the TTC’s operating costs. From Monday to Friday, the combined service between Keele Street and Eglinton West Station during the morning peak period will change from every 1 minutes 48 seconds to every 2 minutes. In the midday the combined service between Keele Street and Eglinton West Station will change from every 3 minutes 40 seconds to every 4 minutes.

In the daytime on Saturdays, the combined service between Keele Street and Eglinton West Station will change from every 3 minutes 55 seconds to every 4 minutes 17 seconds.

On Sundays and holidays, the combined service between Keele Street and Eglinton West Station in the morning will change from every 5 minutes 25 seconds to every 5 minutes 43 seconds. In the afternoon the combined service between Keele Street and Eglinton West Station service will change from every 4 minutes 08 seconds to every 4 minutes 28 seconds.

Along Rob Ford's pet project:

85 SHEPPARD EAST

• Service change

Service will be changed, to reduce the TTC’s operating costs. From Monday to Friday, in the morning peak period the combined service between Don Mills Station and Meadowvale Road will change from every 4 minutes to every 4 minutes 15 seconds. In the midday the combined service between Don Mills Station and Meadowvale Road will change from every 5 minutes to every 6 minutes 30 seconds.

On Saturdays, the combined service in the afternoon between Don Mills Station and Meadowvale Road service will change from every 4 minutes to every 5 minutes. In the early evening the combined service between Don Mills Station and Meadowvale Road will change from every 7 minutes 30 seconds to every 8 minutes 30 seconds.
On Sundays and holidays, the combined service in the morning between Don Mills Station and Meadowvale Road will change from every 6 minutes 40 seconds to every 8 minutes. In the afternoon the combined service between Don Mills Station and Meadowvale Road will change from every 4 minutes 45 seconds to every 5 minutes 05 seconds.

Instead of starting construction on the Finch West LRT this year, we get:

36 FINCH WEST

• Service change

Service will be changed, to reduce the TTC’s operating costs.

In the midday from Monday to Friday the combined service between Finch Station and Kipling Avenue will change from every 4 minutes 20 seconds to every 5 minutes. The service west of Kipling Avenue will change from every 8 minutes 40 seconds to every 10 minutes. In the late evening from Monday to Friday the service will change from every 8 minutes to every 9 minutes.

In the morning on Saturdays the combined service between Finch Station and Kipling Avenue will change from every 5 minutes 30 seconds to every 6 minutes. The service west of Kipling Avenue will change from every 11 minutes to every 12 minutes.

Along what could have been the Don Mills LRT:

25 DON MILLS

• Service change

Service will be changed, to reduce the TTC’s operating costs. From Monday to Friday, the service in the morning peak period will change from every 3 minutes 10 seconds to every 3 minutes 30 seconds. The service in the midday will change from every 5 minutes 15 seconds to every 6 minutes 40 seconds. The service in the early evening will change from every 6 minutes to every 7 minutes.

The service in the daytime on Saturdays will change from every 5 minutes 20 seconds to every 6 minutes.

Service will be increased in the late evening on Saturdays, to reduce crowding. The service will be improved from every 15 minutes to every 12 minutes.

Along another could have been, the Jane LRT:

35 JANE

• Service change

Service will be changed, to reduce the TTC’s operating costs.

In the morning peak period from Monday to Friday the combined service south of Steeles Avenue will change from every 2 minutes 51 seconds to every 3 minutes 03 seconds. The service north of Steeles Avenue will change from every 11 minutes to every 12 minutes. In the afternoon peak period from Monday to Friday the combined service south of Steeles Avenue will change from every 3 minutes 10 seconds to every 3 minutes 34 seconds. The service north of Steeles Avenue will change from every 17 minutes to every 20 minutes.

On Sundays and holidays, the service in the morning will change from every 5 minutes 30 seconds to every 6 minutes 15 seconds. The service in the afternoon will change from every 5 minutes to every 5 minutes 37 seconds.

According to the TTC, all these service cuts amount to only a $15-million saving in the operating budget. The budget information earlier this year indicates that a 10¢ fare hike would generate $30-million.

This whole thing is happening, because Ford is more worried about the optics of an extra nickel of a fare hike, than he cares about providing good service.

This "less for more" mentality has to end. The TTC should accept the financial reality from the Harris 1990s is here to stay. Regardless of how transit is funded elsewhere in the world, the province and feds will not be sending any more funding the TTC's way - they're out of cash themselves or spending elsewhere.

Given this new reality, and unless the people vote for a transit-friendly premier, the TTC needs to charge full freight for its service and then offer a service that is worth that new rate. Is it $5 a ride? Perhaps, but you can't keep crying poor every budget cycle.

Okay, this is the problem that I have and I would love for someone to correct me if I'm wrong. However, I wonder how many Torontonians are ill-informed about how the TTC is ran and funded. I've seen sarcastic tweets and Facebook posts of people reacting to this news and I think to myself - does anyone know that they TTC was asked to cut 10% of it's budget by Mayor Ford? It seems the general public think that the TTC is purposely cutting routes and raising fares.

It also dawned on me that I don't think the general public understands that the TTC gets its operating budget from the fare box thus relies on it heavily.

And that's where I'll agree with Admiral Beez that this mentality has to end. And personally as a suburbanite I think the way to start is with Zone based fares. As much as I roll my eyes at W.K. Lis's posts, he pointed out that the last time the TTC turned a profit was when they had zone based fares.

TTC already has the highest cost recovery rate of any local transit system in US or Canada. Zone fares or any other form of fare increase is not the answer.

Wish the TTC cared about their riders as much as their unions. I'm sure one of the TTC's biggest expenses is union salaries/benefits which are probably untouchable when it comes to finding 10% to cut. So will screw the customers instead. Imagine a restaurant where the waiters put their comfort/connivence ahead of their patrons and you have the TTC.

Wish the TTC cared about their riders as much as their unions. I'm sure one of the TTC's biggest expenses is union salaries/benefits which are probably untouchable when it comes to finding 10% to cut. So will screw the customers instead. Imagine a restaurant where the waiters put their comfort/connivence ahead of their patrons and you have the TTC.
That seems to be a bit unfair. Labour costs would be the bulk of the cost if they were unionized or not. It's not like if you take away the union, you can suddenly pay operators a lot less. Given the problems they've had with retaining skilled operators, there's probably very little you can do with their wages, without creating a huge, expensive, problem.

I don't understand this tin-foil-hat anti-Union paranoia ... constantly raising it doesn't advance the discussion.

Back