News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

B

billonlogan

National Post
Published: Thursday, November 30, 2006

As you assume your new role as chair of the province's largest transit organization, you have an incredible opportunity to find new ways of doing business that will enable the TTC to regain its status as a transit leader.

You will need to determine how Toronto will share revenue and infrastructure with neighbouring municipalities and identify ways to work with the private sector. Your success will depend upon your ability to set a strategic direction for the TTC, work with other levels of government and municipalities and trust the managers to manage the system effectively.

The expansion of the Spadina subway line is vital. It has the support of the provincial and federal governments and will be partially financed using public-private partnerships, or P3s. These have been proven to work well in transit and transportation infrastructure projects in British Columbia and Prince Edward Island. As incoming chair, you must implement P3s to achieve the TTC's goals.

The new Spadina line is the first subway line that will cross Steeles Avenue, Toronto's northern boundary. This gives the TTC the opportunity to share revenues and transit lines with adjacent municipalities.

Once the intricacies of revenue and infrastructure sharing within P3s have been established, there will be new opportunities to expand the rail lines, potentially north on Yonge Street, west to the airport and east past Scarborough.

The concept of fare-by-distance needs to be revisited. The TTC's historical position that a flat fare is the most equitable form of payment is outdated.

Effective transit lines support commuting patterns. While the TTC accounts for 80% of all transit trips in the Greater Toronto Area, gridlock will be reduced when people are better able to use transit to cross municipal borders. Studies show there are just as many people who leave Toronto's borders to go to work each day as those that enter the city for work. Fare-by-distance would enable people to pay for the distance they travel, instead of the borders they cross. Smart cards and automation will provide the TTC with a way to implement a fare-by-distance system.

Finally, your support and leadership on the Greater Toronto Transportation Authority will be critical. The GTTA is in its infancy, but could become extremely important for the strategic investment and construction of new transit. The GTTA has four main responsibilities, including preparing a transportation plan, implementing a transit fare card system, acting as the central procurement agency for transit vehicles and operating GO Transit. Your strong support of the GTTA will enhance its credibility and boost transit ridership across the GTA.

Your role requires vision, diplomacy and stewardship. Your success will result in the re-branding of the TTC, and lay to rest the criticism that politicians are too parochial to implement transit measures that will accommodate the needs of the people who use the system.

- Karen Stintz is the city councillor for Ward 16 - Eglinton-Lawrence
-----------------------------------------------------

It's too bad she's not on the ruling party. The candidates mentioned for the chair (Moscoe, Giambrone, Mihevic, ) are just not up to this challenge.

I wonder what Karen Stintz will say about the P3 that will attempt an appropriately intense (tall) development on the Eglinton station bus terminal lands? 'Not in my back yard' maybe?

Touché!

It's too bad she's not on the ruling party. The candidates mentioned for the chair (Moscoe, Giambrone, Mihevic [sic] ) are just not up to this challenge.

How do you know that? Now Moscoe needs to go. Giambrone might be a better chair. I'd like to see Mihevc get the job though.

Giambrone's claims he is an advocate of the TTC. Well let's see his claim to fame as Vice-Chair of the TTC;

1. raised TTC fares twice.

2. spending his fare increases to put $1,800 bike racks on every 1,491 TTC bus and according to TTC figures, this will cost riders over $2.7 million. Giambrone's pet $2.7 million program is used by less than .004% of all TTC riders.

Well wup de friggen do!

This city deserves better, not another hack.

On the bright side, he isn't advocating spending $1.5B on a subway extension to Vaughan just so that we can have cost sharing with the forementioned municipality.

AoD

The expansion of the Spadina subway line is vital.
Hardly. It's way down the...line.

The concept of fare-by-distance needs to be revisited. The TTC's historical position that a flat fare is the most equitable form of payment is outdated.
I think she's correct here, however I'm sure she'd fight like mad if Yonge & Eglinton was put in Zone 2. LOL.

2. spending his fare increases to put $1,800 bike racks on every 1,491 TTC bus and according to TTC figures, this will cost riders over $2.7 million. Giambrone's pet $2.7 million program is used by less than .004% of all TTC riders.
It's something that most North American cities now do and it isn't something that can't properly be judged until implemented system-wide. Unless a cyclist can be guaranteed that the next bus will have a rack, they'll find an alternate means of getting where they want to go. Also, $2.7 million isn't a huge investment as far as the TTC goes. I see this as a very worthy initiative that I plan on using regularly.

"On the bright side, he isn't advocating spending $1.5B on a subway extension to Vaughan just so that we can have cost sharing with the forementioned municipality."

Unless someone here says or calculates otherwise - and I've brought this point up in about 10 threads already, with no responses from anyone - Toronto will save money by extending Spadina up into Vaughan since the municipal 1/3, although larger, will be shared.

Toronto still has to come up with $300 million or so for the extension. $300 million that could be used elsewhere or not spent at all. How is that saving anything?

[/quote]Unless someone here says or calculates otherwise - and I've brought this point up in about 10 threads already, with no responses from anyone - Toronto will save money by extending Spadina up into Vaughan since the municipal 1/3, although larger, will be shared.[/quote]

The municipal portion is shared but the numbers I recall hearing indicated it wasn't a 50/50 split. That is, Vaughn is paying somewhat below 1/6th of the total project cost and Toronto is paying between 1/3rd and 1/6th. Still need the feds on board for this project at this time.

As I said, I don't recall specific numbers but it looked like it was split based on distance, with Steeles station costs shared.

Still can't understand why the Steeles and York U stations can't be combined into one station. Put the north end of the platform on the south side of Steeles leaving the south end of the station pretty close to the middle of the campus.

With the north end at Steeles, the south end of the platform would hardly reach Ian McDonald Blvd. Still a long way from the centre of campus.

"Spending his fare increases to put $1,800 bike racks on every 1,491 TTC bus and according to TTC figures, this will cost riders over $2.7 million. Giambrone's pet $2.7 million program is used by less than .004% of all TTC riders."

What percentage of people will use the service really isn't that important when assessing something like this. What could you spend $2.7 million on that would be used by all riders? Heck, buying a single bus would probably benefit less than .004% of all riders. What percentage of TTC riders utilise the lost property office?

A bus with holds 60 passengers or so has room for two bikes, meaning that the maximum possible utilisation on a full bus is only 3% anyway. Far more useful would be to assess how well the service is being used. What percentage of the time is there a bus in the rack?

"How is that saving anything?"

Hey, I don't think it should be extended now at all, but if it's going to be forced down our throats, going up to VCC will make the pill easier to swallow.

"The municipal portion is shared but the numbers I recall hearing indicated it wasn't a 50/50 split."

I think the city still 'saves' money...I want to say $80M-ish, but don't quote me. It will generate more Vaughan riders that way, too, who will be new fare-paying TTC customers.

An York Region LRT network fanning out from Steeles would bring in riders too, for less money. Once a part of the subway is in Vaughan any upgrades such as resignalling becomes a 4-way rather than 3-way fight - with Vaughan. Remember Vaughan? Seen it in the papers lately? Where Lastman-politics went to retire?

If a project is twice as long it costs twice as much thus splitting the municipal third means Toronto is paying pretty much the same as before.

The only reason P3s are being considered is because the federal government isn't doing its share to fund public transit. If it were, we'd have the Spadina extension under construction (despite the fact that I don't support it, at least not beyond Steeles). What the TTC needs is sustainable funding, so that we can build at least one station a year. The subway system has fallen so far behind that we need sustained building to get it back to speed. For example, the Downtown Relief Line, the Eglinton Line, finishing the Sheppard Line, and extending the Danforth Line to Scarborough Town Centre. As for the airport, I don't even think rapid transit to the airport is that important. Most people just drive to the airport anyway, or you can take an express bus from Kipling. To me, only after the 416 is well served should you look at extending to the 905, e.g. VCC and MCC, with in my Mississauga-biased opinion MCC being first, because there's actually something there.

Back