I had a few consultants come in and ripple fold blinds would work best in comparison to roller shades...still hard to install yet doable. I have two balconies so lots of windows...rollers are harder for me and would look awkward.

Yea, it pisses me off because I have had trouble with getting blinds installed. I don't get why they just didn't use simple ceiling sprinklers.

I had a few consultants come in and ripple fold blinds would work best in comparison to roller shades...still hard to install yet doable. I have two balconies so lots of windows...rollers are harder for me and would look awkward.

i paid for the blind package from lamb and am quite happy .we are on a corner so i am sure in spring/summer the light/heat is going to be heavy and require the blinds down a lot..if it helps we paid 3800 for all window coverings which i thought was very reasonable.

I'm on a corner too -- curious to see how your blinds were installed.

Update on the sprinklers: it turns out they're the proper type of heads (flat deflector), so they need to be very close to the windows in order to function properly and they probably can't be moved. Most condos are fully sprinklered, which wouldn't allow a fire to get to a size that would require a waterwall.

Yeah, those seem like a good option. I've considered those, and it really depends on the size of the hardware. For top-down shades, if I can find a slim enough roll and valence, I might be able to attach them to the window frame/mullions.

I'm going to the Home Show on the weekend and I'll ask around, but I'm not optimistic about the exhibitors there.

I really don't get why most new developments don't include mesh blinds as standard. There are a few huge benefits from day 1, such as not having to shop for window coverings from move-in day, and a consistent look from the outside instead of the mish-mash that exists now. Especially considering most condos require (through the by laws) that all residents use window coverings with a white or off-white backing.

The cost to install is minimal (especially on a volume basis) and the cost to the buyer would be absorbed into the mortgage anyway.

I really don't get why most new developments don't include mesh blinds as standard. There are a few huge benefits from day 1, such as not having to shop for window coverings from move-in day, and a consistent look from the outside instead of the mish-mash that exists now. Especially considering most condos require (through the by laws) that all residents use window coverings with a white or off-white backing.

The cost to install is minimal (especially on a volume basis) and the cost to the buyer would be absorbed into the mortgage anyway.

They don't include them because the cost is high. And ifbuyers knew they added an extra $2K to the price for blinds, they'd prorbably want them taken out.

They don't include them because the cost is high. And ifbuyers knew they added an extra $2K to the price for blinds, they'd prorbably want them taken out.

Some developers include them as a standard, I know Berczy and 88 Scott includes standard roller blinds.

Here's why mesh blinds won't work:

sprinklers1.jpg

That's what we're dealing with. They'd have to be mounted a foot below the ceiling to clear the pipes, which would look awkward and leave a lot of window exposed.

I have something similar. The sprinkler runs along the windows...and I have a doorway to my bedroom with a bulkhead that runs into the glass. It's such a terribly stupid design, I can't believe people are paid good money to come up with stuff like this.

Interestingly enough, I have a buddy who has a unit here and he doesn'thave a sprinkler system. Lucky bastard.

I have something similar. The sprinkler runs along the windows...and I have a doorway to my bedroom with a bulkhead that runs into the glass. It's such a terribly stupid design, I can't believe people are paid good money to come up with stuff like this.

Interestingly enough, I have a buddy who has a unit here and he doesn'thave a sprinkler system. Lucky bastard.

Why is it that units, in this building and in others, have the sprinklers near the window like that?

Why is it that units, in this building and in others, have the sprinklers near the window like that?

Not sure...but any other building that I saw this kind of sprinkler at...they were set up in a way where you could still easily hang blinds.

Back