40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

S

samsonyuen

Apr. 15, 2006. 04:12 AM
KEVIN MCGRAN
TRANSPORTATION REPORTER

The TTC may experiment with "coupling" its streetcars — in essence, creating a train — in order to improve service on King St.
The coupling would move more people faster, even though the "headway" — the time between streetcars — during rush hour would increase from two minutes to four, the transit commission says.
King St. is the busiest TTC surface route, with 50,000 passengers and 114 stops. The streetcar crosses through 102 intersections. But any time a motorist turns left, or there's an accident, or a vehicle going north or south blocks the intersection, the cars quickly fall behind schedule.
During rush hour they're supposed to be two minutes apart, but before you know it, a bunch of them end up travelling together.
Up ahead, impatient passengers push to get into the first car that shows up, even if it's already packed, putting the "first" one further behind schedule and slowing down the rest.
To add to the frustration, the emptier ones behind often get "short-turned" to speed up service in the other direction, a sure sign of transit inefficiency.
"The demand is increasing, and we've been putting more and more streetcars on King St., but we're not carrying any more people," says TTC manager of service planning Mitch Stambler.
"It's not because the people aren't there. It's because we can't carry more people because the streetcars are getting bunched up, and stuck in traffic.
"You couldn't find another streetcar line in the world that's trying to run every two minutes in mixed traffic."
So the TTC commissioned a report from Amer Shalaby, a public transit planner at IntelliCAN Transportation Systems Inc., to find out what would happen if the TTC coupled two or three streetcars together and operated them four minutes apart instead of two.
Shalaby ran an intricate computer model, taking into account actual traffic and commuter counts as well as human behavioural pattern. He found passengers would benefit because:
Fewer streetcars would bunch together.
More streetcars would stay on schedule.
Fewer customers would be left behind at crowded stops.
There would be less on-board crowding.
"The strategy of reducing the frequency of a route to improve customer service seems counterintuitive," Shalaby admits in the report.
The report comes as the TTC wrestles over the future of the streetcar. The commissioners are determined to replace the fleet due to its age, likely by longer articulated light rail vehicles.
But it could be take 10 to 12 years to replace the fleet, says Stambler.
None of the current fleet is outfitted with couplers, meaning the train idea is still a few years away.
It could be linked to a new GTA farecard that would allow patrons to enter any of the streetcar doors by swiping an electronic card reader, Stambler says.
But as existing cars go in for a rebuild — things like air conditioners, new brake controls — couplers will be added to the rear, says Stambler, to give the TTC the flexibility to run multiple units.
"It doesn't mean we would do it on every route," says Stambler. "In a case like King where you have a two-minute service and you can make it a four-minute service, that's an incredibly high-frequency service."
He suggested Spadina, with streetcars running 2 1/2 minutes apart, as another possibility.

I don't see how they can do this currently without a) removing cars from other lines, and b) avoiding a) without coming up with CLRV trailers. Either that or simply designate King as an ALRV route full-time.

And the statement that the CLRVs do not have couplers is not entirely true. They were designed with couplers (and for MU operation) and did initially have them, and actually ran as multiple units in Boston during a test.

^

Actually, as it currently stands the TTC does have excess streetcars. Approximately 20, I believe.

The article says that they would reduce frequency of service, though. So I don't think that the supply of CLRVs would be a problem.

It will take TTC 3 years to replace all 248 streetcars in the fleet once a contract is awarded not the 10-12 years as stated.

Still does not address the accessibility issue.

Cutting headway goes against the grain to get people to use transit in the first place.

It is time that the City started removing lanes of cars and close King St off at Blue Jay Way to Jarvis for transit only.

How did they pack more streetcars on that route before the cuts of the early nineties? I find one of the most attractive features of the King streetcar to be its small headways, at least in rush hour. In the morning, you're pretty much guaranteed to have one approaching whenever you get to your stop.

^ There were a lot more Inspectors/Supervisors in the field short-turning cars in those days. Keep in mind that before 1995 the TTC had an extra dozen or so PCCs to work with (and there was no Spadina route). They were used as specials during rush hours on King, Carlton and Dundas before they were retired. I remember College, for example, being flooded with CLRVs and PCCs in the afternoon rush back during my undergrad days in the early-mid 90s. Always waited for the PCC.

How would they implement this in parts of the route where the stops are just a block or two apart? For example, your lead car would be at University while your rear car was still at Simcoe. I guess they would have to skip nearby stops because stopping twice seems to defeat efficiency.

It's still an interesting concept though.

There's no need for a stop at Simcoe or York on the King route - York is so close to Bay or University for it to be unnecessary. The same on Queen and Dundas, where the stop at Victoria (and Chestnut for Dundas) is unneeded - though when I went to Ryerson, I must admit that I appreciated the stop at Victoria on the 505.

Steve Munro slams this whole topic on his blog...

Trains on King Street

Basically...

Scheduled peak service on the 504 during rush hours is every 4 minutes, NOT every 2, and as such, running 2-car trains every 4 minutes would require an extra 13 streetcars. What gives the line a 2-minute frequency for a period of just over one hour is when you include the 508 runs and the 16 single-trip extras originating from Roncevalles that run during the period. There has been no significant change in the amount of service provided on King since 1999.

I guess it was a test but in the mid-80's they had street cars coupled to gether. My father remembers Yonge cars in the 40/50s coupled together. This is not new for Toronto.

The TTC needs a new bus route from Broadview Station express to the CBD. That would totally reduce the amount of overcrowding ont he 504 route and free up space for people who actually live in the area to take the streetcar.

I used the 504 everyday for two years to get to college, and it was the same every morning at Broadview. People would cram onto the streetcar from the subway, and everyone would not get off till Sherbourne and the the stops in the CBD.
All while people who lived along the line, did not get seats, and all while people like myself coming from outside the area had to put up wiht a slow ride going through Riverdale.

To fix the problem, just start the 504E KING EXPRESS. The bus would run from Broadview Station express to Richmond Street via the DVP, then make stops through the central business district.

This is a cheaper and easy way to not only improve service to commuters but free up space on the 504 for riders who live along it.

But no, the TTC is going to make things more complicated then it has to.

Back