I ended up buying at the Uptown. Love it here, great building and love our suite. Also can't get a better location for us.

I ended up buying at the Uptown. Love it here, great building and love our suite. Also can't get a better location for us.

Great to hear!

Does anyone have condo (not hotel) living experience in the Shangri La?

I saw a unit today and was underwhelming. Perhaps my expectation was too high due to hypes.

I also saw some reviews about the building and seems concerning: http://thedirt.co/toronto/180-university-ave

Things are not as they seems... Very nice features such as location and "amenities" However... Think "Lotophagi" for those who know Greek mythology...

Cheap material high profits - The condo units are cheaply made. For example, many units have already needed the floors replaced. This is due to the fact heels from shoes will dent the "hardwood" flooring (less then a year old). Personal experience - in 4 months, needed plumbing issues resolved.. twice! Also the cheap carpet continues to leave fibers like hairballs everywhere.

Staff - Very cold and distant. Concierge acts more like an authority figure then assistance. And after a number of months here (greeting, conversation, and even tips) they still seem to be clueless of whom live here.

Processes - Major... major disconnected or standards. Building, Concierge, Hotel, Owners and Tenants are all in their own world. No means of communication or standard forum. For example, have booked the freight elevator three times. Each time, the process has changed. From Free, to 40 dollars... to 500 dollars. Also with, who are you again? ( see above).

Hotel amenities - Yes, offered to you if providing your credit card number (which is fine) However, they also hit your credit card for 2K first! Then start to deduct funds as you go. Sorry, you can not use my cash for your investments in the name of "amenities"...

No common space, this is a business first and foremost - The residents lounge is a waiting room. Two sofas and a chaise lounge, that's it. If you think of using the hotel lobby, to just relax, think again. This is not a lobby, this is a lounge / restaurant. Within moments of sitting down, emotionless host will be at your table awaiting orders. Unless your here to purchase something, you will be pressured to "move along". But purchasing and stating resident status is meaningless also. Next time to the lobby, back to cold get out mode from host.

Shangri La branding, something not right - From all other "real" Shangri La hotels, you can see the branding , their colors and the quality. Here, it feels as one foot is in the market and one out the door. To me it feels as if the Shangri La could pull their sign and be out within days. No real commitment or stamp on this building. To me, that as big no no for purchasing here. Maybe proof or nothing, but when the hotel names their lobby Finches after London gangsters ... hmm... what?!

In short, blessed I did NOT purchase here. Would not recommend purchase to everyone I care about and looking forward to my move out date...

The thing about this is which issues are specific to a unit and which are building-wide issues. Everything I read there I see in many condos. Cheap build quality/finishes, etc. That's pretty normal. However, Shan Gri La is pretty underwhelming to me. To be honest, even Trump and Ritz have getter looking interiors IMO. The tiny baseboards and cheap looking carpeting are a turnoff. The bones are good and I like the location. The building itself is pretty sexy too.

The thing about this is which issues are specific to a unit and which are building-wide issues. Everything I read there I see in many condos. Cheap build quality/finishes, etc. That's pretty normal. However, Shan Gri La is pretty underwhelming to me. To be honest, even Trump and Ritz have getter looking interiors IMO. The tiny baseboards and cheap looking carpeting are a turnoff. The bones are good and I like the location. The building itself is pretty sexy too.

Thanks. I've been quite disappointing about as well and can't really see the hype of Shangri La. The kitchen cabinet and bathroom have good finishes compare to average condo but the rest of the unit is extremely plain.

Back