8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

genkav

Member Bio
Reaction score
So the LCBO is threatening to strike and will probably halt any source of booze within this province.

This is turning into a very prohibition era type thing...and I'm starting to wonder what we'll do if we're all dried up!

My thought: I'm just gonna start brewing moonshine in a bathtub.

Any other ideas?

• Go to a bar?
  • Switch to wine or beer?
  • Are there any distilleries that have outlets in Toronto, where they can sell their own products? (One example: Kittling Ridge sells their whisky at their outlets in the Loblaws and Sobeys on Dupont)

Does this really need its own thread, couldn't the previous unions thread, CUPE 416 strike and this potential LCBO strike be amalgamated into one general labor dispute thread?

I predict the privatization of the LCBO sooner than later... likely before the next provincial election. By 2011, the province will be in financial ruins and will need a quick boost of funding to make a dent in the sky-high deficit. A multi-billion dollar sell off of the LCBO will be a quick way for them to ease such a financial crunch.

No need to start the bathtub brewing. The Beer Stores will be open, as will bars. And probably those wine kiosks in grocery stores -- I think they are operated by the wineries, not the LCBO. Plus we still have a few weeks til this hits the fan, so if you're a hard liquor man why not just hit the LCBO now and buy a few big bottles? It won't go bad.

I've already switched most of my beer purchases to the Mill St. brewpub store in the Distillery. For me it's a more pleasant walk than heading over to that terrible cramped understocked St. Lawrence Market LCBO and dealing with the hobos that are always camped out front. Plus there's never a lineup.

Aren't Wine Racks and the like owned under the LCBO? Besides, their selection is poor...and that's a big factor.

I wonder who would put up the dough to purchase the LCBO and privatize it?

Aren't Wine Racks and the like owned under the LCBO? Besides, their selection is poor...and that's a big factor.

No, they are owned by wineries in much the same way that The Beer Store is owned by breweries. That's why their selection is poor.

Still, if you can't get by with the Beer Store, Wine Rack, retail outlets, bars, pubs, and the opportunity to stock up, you might have bigger problems on your hands than the LCBO strike.

I will personally turn to my 22 bottles of single malt scotch... that should tidy me over until the strike is resolved.

Edit: yes, the Winerack chain is not owned by the LCBO. It only stocks Ontario wines. Some of them are quite nice. Some.

• Go to a bar?
  • Switch to wine or beer?
  • Are there any distilleries that have outlets in Toronto, where they can sell their own products? (One example: Kittling Ridge sells their whisky at their outlets in the Loblaws and Sobeys on Dupont)

I didn't know KR sells Forty Creek at Dupont and Christie - saves the drive to Grimsby!

I wonder how long Dial A Bottle will manage to stay running if the LCBO's are closed for a prolonged period. I always kind of suspected they were sourcing from somewhere else, and if they keep running that would sort of suggest that to be the case

Depending how long the strike last, you could always drive to Buffalo and take advantage of 2 for 1 wine specials they have at the liquor depots, they also have a massive selection brands you will never find at the LCBO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope it doesn't last. I can't stand going to The Beer Store to buy beer.

Back