5.2K     0 

khris

Member Bio
Reaction score
12897_1_Lotte3big.jpg

12897_2_Lotte1big.jpg

12897_3_Lotte2big.jpg

Super Tower will be second tallest skyscraper in the world

Upon completion in 2014, the Lotte Super Tower in Seoul will be the tallest building in Asia and the second tallest in the world after the Burj Dubai. The winning selection in an international design competition, KPF’s design for the 555-metre, 123-storey Lotte Super Tower will serve as the Lotte Group’s new corporate headquarters.

Unlike other ‘super-talls’, the Tower will be truly mixed-use, approaching the ideal of a vertical city with planned uses including office, hotel, residential, retail, and connection to mass transit. The building’s first six floors will contain retail; offices will occupy floors 7 to 60; 25 floors of residential on floors 61 to 85; and a 7-star luxury hotel will comprise floors 86 to 119. The dramatic culmination of the building will be a civic realm within its top four stories earmarked for extensive public use and entertainment facilities including an observation deck.

The design team is aiming to achieve a silver LEED accreditation. This long anticipated project has now earned all major zoning approvals, and excavation is nearly complete. There are four super towers planned for Seoul with Lotte at the most advanced stage of delivery.

I would love to have a tower like this in Toronto. I think it would look awesome in our skyline.

One thing wrong with the description above is that it says it will be the tallest building in Asia, and second tallest in the world after Burj Dubai. The UAE, where the Burj Dubai is located, is in Asia. So technically it's the second tallest in Asia as well as the world.

The monotony of the typical "box" tower setting in and higher real estate prices will make it possible. Not at this height though. And even if that height was proposed I wonder if we'd hear talk of imposing a height limit so that nothing overtakes the CN Tower. (We most likely would.)

I don't think there would be any supertall in T.O. for a long time; with government having no desire for extensive infrastructures, possibly fearing the overshadowing CN tower and the lack of investors for such projects, I doubt the skyline of T.O. would change dramatically. I for ONE, supports a supertall over the already far-fetched CN Tower.

In addition, South Korea is overseeing at least 5 or more supertalls to be built and at least 5 would be the top 10 tallest in the world.

Back