Love Park saw 3 first things today and only a day old.

The first sail boat hit the waters thanks to Chris. Great going and looking to see the next sail.

The first wedding took place under the rain.

The first 2 people to walk in the pool that I have seen so far and was told someone did it yesterday,

When I saw the photos of the stones yesterday, not going to stop people at all and needed to see first hand before commenting on it. Even if you fully stone it, not going to stop anyone and was confirmed today by Waterfront Toronto.

Someone else was there to try sailing, but the water needs to be another foot deep to do.

Waterfront Toronto and the city of Toronto working on a plan to have boats there for the kid, but need to be on a string as it took a long time before Chris could retrieve it.

Nothing but positive feed back with one person calling for flowers which is not a bad idea if TO could maintain them.

The leash park saw a lot of happy dogs running around it as well meeting new friends.

Ran into a number of the main pushers for this park going back to 2003 and were please that day arrive.

More when I upload the photos by Sat,
Overheard City workers that ithey would have preferred peagravel in leash free area like Berczy. Not sure if dogs like playing in gravel as they did on the turf. Hopefully they keep it. LESS GREY MORE GREEN

After seeing the overhead shot, I actually prefer the bare bottom for the pond. The slight blue to the water and the red border really makes the pond pop when seen from above (eg. From office towers). The use of river stones to line the edge plays on a shadow effect which helps make it look more 3D than 2D. Also helps keep it clean looking.

Someone raise the issue of right turn at York off QQ and agree it getting worse. What I saw in a short time Friday, vehicles bumper to bumper bocking off access to pedestrians trying to cross the intersection.

Overheard City workers that ithey would have preferred peagravel in leash free area like Berczy. Not sure if dogs like playing in gravel as they did on the turf. Hopefully they keep it. LESS GREY MORE GREEN
As for peagravel, been used in a number of places for dogs with no issues and no issue with it not been use here.

As for the pool bottom colour, better than concrete as well a few other types of blue or green.

Looking at the aerial view shot, trying to figure out where you could place flowers that could improve the looks and nothing jumping out at me for it. York St and the pump house may able to handle flowers, the ones people not taking them with them.

Looking at the aerial view shot, trying to figure out where you could place flowers that could improve the looks and nothing jumping out at me for it. York St and the pump house may able to handle flowers, the ones people not taking them with them.
Flower beds wrapped around the base of each tree would work.

It really does look impressive - do CCxA do bad projects?!

In Toronto, I can't think of one where they were the sole designer.

I have some issues w/HtO Park, which I outlined in the Problematic Park Design thread, but I consider Janet Rosenberg to be the lead designer on that space, though Cormier was listed independently

But when I look at all his other spaces, I see the mistakes in HtO as hers, not his, because I haven't seen them repeated in his other works.

Last edited:
In Toronto, I can't think of one where they were the sole designer.

I have some issues w/HtO Park, which I outlined in the Problematic Park Design thread, but I consider Janet Rosenberg to be the lead designer on that space, though Cormier was listed independently

But when I look at all his other spaces, see the mistakes in HtO as hers, not his, because I haven't seen them repeated in his other works.

HtO was also sadly done on the cheap as well - and it shows.

AoD

I got down here to visit today and what a lovely and successful park it is! Simple concept, well executed, great materials, so much seating, just a winner all around. And lots of people out enjoying it on this beautiful evening. Singles, couples, families, locals with their dogs, even someone sitting in a chair next to the pond reading a book. A few people wading in the pond too, despite the river rock. Can we get CCxA to redesign every park in the city?

PXL_20230626_004457084.jpg
PXL_20230626_000214064.jpg

One of the chairs still had its tag on it, so I looked it up and now I'm kind of tempted to get some for my outdoor space. Maybe a table too?

HtO was also sadly done on the cheap as well - and it shows.

AoD
No kidding

Look at Aitken Place Park and it a shell of what it was supposed to be.

@Dustin William is it not illegal to fly a drone above people, or basically almost anywhere in Toronto?
That depends on the size of drone. Anything above 250 grams would have issues flying south of Bloor in most of the city due to proximity to Billy Bishop and heliports. Below 250 grams, and it's a micro-drone that you're allowed to essentially fly anywhere as long as it isn't in a reckless manner. Most municipalities ban drone operations in city parks, but the rules on airspace are interesting. You're not allowed to take off from within a city park, but you can fly over one.

You can find more information on how to safely operate a drone in Toronto by checking out the Nav Canada drone site selection tool. Switching it over to micro-drone under the game controller on the map shows the city as yellow, meaning it's permitted with caution.

Ok.... We may have one small issue w/this fine new park..............its entrance sign. LOL

This is a new style for the City; the old one, compressed, framed, and with what off to the right?
1687790316340.png

Image sourced from BlogTO video.

I've never cared for the City current iteration of parks signage, it's less appalling that the garbage bins to be sure.....
It's not to my taste.

But this version is its own form of odd. I suppose we should be grateful they remembered to put a sign.... LOL

Edit to add, I suppose I should offer an example of a sign I like:

1687790903620.png

The differences to me:

Toronto's signs look cheap, visually cluttered and doesn't really say 'park' to me.

The above, is de-cluttered, no 'thou shalt not skate, camp, feed the animals blah blah' all over the sign. The use of hefty, natural toned wood and a dark green/black background makes the name pop and is well coordinated.

If we must have a list of every rule and by-law, it can go on a separate panel a few meters in.

Last edited:

Back