Cost $$$$$

Perhaps you're right, but we can easily afford them. Poland's GDP per capita is less than half of Canada's, yet its cities like have entire old towns paved with setts and other granite pavers.

Aside from cost, perhaps it's a matter of a lack of affordable local supply or local designers and officials simply not being familiar with the material. Canada has tons of granite that can be quarried for a nicer public realm.

Also from what I understand, it's not that much more, maybe 20-30% upfront capital but is typically more durable and a lot easier to repair in a localized fashion. Would love someone to calculate total cost of ownership over 20 years or so ...

I was by here yesterday, as noted above, so these pics were taken, June 16th, 2023:

DSC01933.jpg

DSC01935.jpg

DSC01940.jpg

Note above that the water level has been lowered again, this is in order to affect repairs, which the gentlemen in the pics below were doing when I was by:

DSC01939.jpg

DSC01941.jpg

In the foreground, above, is one of many willow trees in the park.

DSC01942.jpg

DSC01947.jpg

Below, water galore to keep the plants happy and healthy ahead of the opening.

DSC01949.jpg

DSC01951.jpg

DSC01952.jpg

Clean up aside, there are still a few last minute tweaks, including some electrical work; the weather this week (lots of rain) set things behind.........but I and they feel confident everything should be done ahead of the opening date, next Friday.

We have plenty of granite though.
Yes Canada has plenty of granite but Waterfront Toronto has a specific color scheme that is being utilized across the Waterfront and Queens Quay, so colour is the limititing factor I take it. Supply and demand would artificially raise cost of a singular product or colour. I think a radical color change is needed in different parks to have them stand out instead of trying to.make them.all.look the same. There is a rainbow of colors shame they only are using 2 or 3.

Yes Canada has plenty of granite but Waterfront Toronto has a specific color scheme that is being utilized across the Waterfront and Queens Quay, so colour is the limititing factor I take it. Supply and demand would artificially raise cost of a singular product or colour. I think a radical color change is needed in different parks to have them stand out instead of trying to.make them.all.look the same. There is a rainbow of colors shame they only are using 2 or 3.
Fair enough.

Wait...the last one doesn't come with the park? 😿

I believe @mburrrrr will loan Lola to the park periodically, a sort of special exhibit rather than an everyday fixture; but no additional fees will be charged on those days.

However, bringing pastries, coffee and dog treats may result in more frequent visits.

Last edited:
I believe @mburrrrr will loan that dog to the park periodically, a sort of special exhibit rather than an everyday fixture; but no additional fees will be charged on those days.

However, bringing pastries, coffee and dog treats may results in more frequent visits.
My dog, Lola, wanted to sit at Impact Coffee patio this morning but they don’t open until 8:00. She wouldn’t leave. Wait till next week, we could there for hours.

I think with the artificial grass in the fenced-in dog park area this might be the new standard and keep everybody happy. This has to help save the rest of the beautiful park grass. Her favourite park is Aitken Place Park on QQ east for some reason. Half stones and half artificial grass. Oh who am I kidding, they’re all her favourite.

Back