News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Cool video on the broadway subway in Vancouver. I know different pressures on housing there than us (with all our land) but this is the sort of project I would love to see one day between Bonnie Doon and University. Cool for them to be featured on B1M.

Since this is the "LRT Expansion Planning" thread, I really recommend people go look in detail at a system like the Frankfurt U-Bahn, I will have a video on it soonish, but it uses the exact same standards and compatible vehicles to both Edmonton and Calgary (including the U2 back in the day), but the design of the network and infrastructure is totally different (they have 3 subway tunnels downtown criss crossing).

The things I would suggest are worth thinking about:

- Network Topology
- Grade Separation and ROW design (in Frankfurt you are typically grade separated unless you are on a branch which become increasingly tram like as service frequency goes down)
- Infrastructure Design
- The fact that Frankfurt has both an U-Bahn (Similar to the traditional high floor LRT in Edmonton - a Subway style system), Trams (Similar to the Valley Line, but also lots to learn here), and of course lots of regional and suburban trains

A good example of where a lot of learning could happen is looking at the U5-25 and U5-KR trains, which allow Frankfurt to connect up multiple LRVs (think the trains on the Capital and Metro Line) into longer walkthrough trains (like you will see in Toronto, Vancouver, and Montreal), there isn't a good reason Edmonton shouldn't try to go for a design like this for future vehicles (its also a good reminder that the idea that high floor LRT vehicles are no longer built or obsolete is ridiculous):
1713731570949.png

1713731592656.png

1713731621915.png

Here's a map of the system:
1713731440971.png

Since this is the "LRT Expansion Planning" thread, I really recommend people go look in detail at a system like the Frankfurt U-Bahn, I will have a video on it soonish, but it uses the exact same standards and compatible vehicles to both Edmonton and Calgary (including the U2 back in the day), but the design of the network and infrastructure is totally different (they have 3 subway tunnels downtown criss crossing).

- Network Topology
- Grade Separation and ROW design (in Frankfurt you are typically grade separated unless you are on a branch which become increasingly tram like as service frequency goes down)
- Infrastructure Design
- The fact that Frankfurt has both an U-Bahn (Similar to the traditional high floor LRT in Edmonton - a Subway style system), Trams (Similar to the Valley Line, but also lots to learn here), and of course lots of regional and suburban trains

A good example of where a lot of learning could happen is looking at the U5-25 and U5-KR trains, which allow Frankfurt to connect up multiple LRVs (think the trains on the Capital and Metro Line) into longer walkthrough trains (like you will see in Toronto, Vancouver, and Montreal), there isn't a good reason Edmonton shouldn't try to go for a design like this for future vehicles (its also a good reminder that the idea that high floor LRT vehicles are no longer built or obsolete is ridiculous):
View attachment 558147
View attachment 558148
View attachment 558149

View attachment 558144
Oh shoot, I didn't realize you were active on this forum! Your videos are a huge part of why I'm interested in public transit.

That said I really like the idea of walkthrough trains. Edmonton was recently taking feedback on the layout of the new trains, (just the seating arrangements), but in the comment submission box I saw the idea of walkthrough trains mentioned. It didn't seem very upvoted unfortunately, but maybe someone at the city will notice is.

I'm sad to admit I haven't really dug into other systems around the world, that sounds like an excellent way to generate ideas to improve our local transit system.

- Network Topology
- Infrastructure Design

View attachment 558147
View attachment 558148
View attachment 558149

View attachment 558144
RM Transit is on Skyrise Edmonton!!!

I've been active here for years, and forums for other Canadian cities!

One more Reece Martin fan appreciation post:

Love the channel Reece! I’ve learned a ton from it. Entertaining and informative. Appreciated the recent video on Alberta too!

I hope as well that we get an airport rail link. The current plan proposes a direct link to downtown along the existing rail corridor running just east of Gateway Boulevard. (The old plan was to extend the Capital Line.):

IMG_6747.jpeg

I hope that whatever tunnel/bridge they construct for the airport connection to get downtown will also be used for future intercity rail travel to Calgary.

Back