8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

MBS-Guru

Member Bio
Reaction score
It's almost comical how every condo is now marketing themselves to be a 'luxury' condo. What and how would you define a real 'luxury' condo?. Is it dependent on location, price, amenities or finishes etc?. Would simply having granite counters, stainless steel appliances and hardwood floors automatically make it a luxury condo?.

Would anyone consider X2, Couture, Boutique, CASA or Charlie a luxury condo?. How about 'Beyond the Sea'?. I think Uptown and CrystalBlu could be considered true luxury condos. What's your take?.

Last edited:
It's almost comical how every condo is now marketing themselves to be a 'luxury' condo. What and how would you define a real 'luxury' condo?. Is it dependent on location, price, amenities or finishes etc?. Would simply having granite counters, stainless steel appliances and hardwood floors automatically make it a luxury condo?.

Would anyone consider X2, Couture, Boutique, CASA or Charlie a luxury condo?. How about 'Beyond the Sea'?. I think Uptown and CrystalBlu could be considered true luxury condos. What's your take?.

Good question.. I would like to add the following to your definition:
(i) Building amenities for condominiums (including valet/concierge, pool, workout room, party room with kitchen, and terraces);
(ii) Building materials used;
(iii) Average suite sizes over 1,000 SF; and,
(iv) Location.

Fashion House? Are you kidding me? Wannabe-hipster-cool perhaps...

Is this project even going ahead in this cycle? I've heard many rumours to the contrary, all unconfirmed.

Last edited:
Fashion House? Are you kidding me? Wanna-hipster-cool perhaps...

Is this project even going ahead? I've heard many rumours to the contrary, all unconfirmed.

Funny.. It took me about 10 minutes to decide if I should have added that project, and now I am semi-regretting it. Oh well.

I stand firm on my other ones!

Funny.. It took me about 10 minutes to decide if I should have added that project, and now I am semi-regretting it. Oh well.

I stand firm on my other ones!

Others seem reasonable, but I'd probably put The Florian half a notch down and can't in good conscience endorse anything located at Bay and Adelaide as luxury in this city.

Others seem reasonable, but I'd probably put The Florian half a notch down and can't in good conscience endorse anything located at Bay and Adelaide as luxury in this city.

I definitely consider The Florian as luxury.. from the building materials used on the exterior and interior, to the suite finishes and sizes and layouts, to the amenities (including valet and concierge), to the location (in my opinion, much preferred to being in the middle of Yorkville). They have not over-inflated the price, keeping it luxury but within reason. I think this will be a true Toronto gem.

With regards to Trump Tower (your reference to Bay and Adelaide), personally I love the location. You are in the heart of the financial district, a five-minute walk to multiple theaters and ballet, close to multiple points of fine dining, near major transportation routes...etc...etc.. What is there not to love about the location?

I definitely consider The Florian as luxury.. from the building materials used on the exterior and interior, to the suite finishes and sizes and layouts, to the amenities (including valet and concierge), to the location (in my opinion, much preferred to being in the middle of Yorkville). They have not over-inflated the price, keeping it luxury but within reason. I think this will be a true Toronto gem.

With regards to Trump Tower (your reference to Bay and Adelaide), personally I love the location. You are in the heart of the financial district, a five-minute walk to multiple theaters and ballet, close to multiple points of fine dining, near major transportation routes...etc...etc.. What is there not to love about the location?

Bay and Adelaide is an office corridor. The area is completely void of activity after 7 pm unless you count traffic commuting to the ACC. It's not a neighbourhood in any classic sense, lacks amenities, character, or community. Anyone who spends any time there in the evening does so completely out of necessity for work, not leisure.

I would be shocked to learn of any Torontonian who feels otherwise. My assumption was that all units were purchased there by or own behalf of offshore money launderers or wealthy older men looking for a discreet place to visit their mistresses.

Last edited:
Bay and Adelaide is an office corridor. The area is completely void of activity after 7 pm unless you count traffic commuting to the ACC. It's not a neighbourhood in any classic sense, lacks amenities, character, or community. Anyone who spends any time there in the evening does so completely out of necessity for work, not leisure.

I would be shocked to learn of any Torontonian who feels otherwise. My assumption was that all units were purchased there by or own behalf of offshore money launderers or wealthy older men looking for a discreet place to visit their mistresses.

I live about 3 blocks north of that intersection, and love the area. I walk to the grocery store. I walk to a tonne of restaurants. I walk to the theater.

Is it a classic neighbourhood? Nope.

Is it void of activity on the street at night? At that intersection it is very quiet. But, the area is changing, which brings more life further downtown.

Further, Rosedale and Forest Hill are "classic luxury" neighbourhoods. Is anyone on the streets past 9pm? Nope.

Who purchased at Trump Tower? I haven't a clue; don't know anyone who has.

Nevertheless, I still believe it to be a luxury building.

Good question.. I would like to add the following to your definition:
(i) Building amenities for condominiums (including valet/concierge, pool, workout room, party room with kitchen, and terraces);
(ii) Building materials used;
(iii) Average suite sizes over 1,000 SF; and,
(iv) Location.

i mostly agree with iSlutsky except for FashionHouse.
you could add 77 Charles and 1 St. Thomas to the list.

exclusivity is a feature too so that means larger suites (min. 1000SF) so no more than 6 suites (depending on floorplate size) per level.

you will find also find true HIGH-END finishes like Poggenpohl, Bellini, Boffi, Downsview cabinetry, etc.

although 1BE called itself luxury, there were tooo many mini-suites IMO to be considered 'luxury'

i mostly agree with iSlutsky except for FashionHouse.
you could add 77 Charles and 1 St. Thomas to the list.

exclusivity is a feature too so that means larger suites (min. 1000SF) so no more than 6 suites (depending on floorplate size) per level.

you will find also find true HIGH-END finishes like Poggenpohl, Bellini, Boffi, Downsview cabinetry, etc.

although 1BE called itself luxury, there were tooo many mini-suites IMO to be considered 'luxury'

I love One St. Thomas.. but, it is complete...

As for 77 Charles.. other than the Kintore College element, I think it is pretty darn luxurious!

Another way of seeing it is... in Toronto luxury means anything where a Subzero fridge, at least Miele appliances, a parking spot and 10-12 foot ceilings are standard in every unit on every floor. For true luxury of course we'd have to say a private parking spot like the ones at Shangri-La that have a garage door.

Generally anywhere that this stuff isn't standard probably shouldn't be considered luxury.

the 'new luxury' feature marketed now are Scavolini kitchens, but IMO their quality is the same as stock IKEA kitchen cabinets/doors/drawers.

i would say there's more value from IKEA since alot of their products appear to be either knock-offs of high-end European kitchen suppliers, or even the same product only rebadged for IKEA.

ie. their hinges and drawer systems which are actually blum

Last edited:
Toronto's standard of luxury compales to other cities ...

there was an episode of "big city broker", where a RE agent came from NYC to look for a luxury condo for his buyer.

one of BJL's brokers showed him $1MM+ places in Tip Top (PH), a condo TH in Designers Walk, and a PH in one of Freed's buildings ... none of them met the NYC buyer's standard.

Back