News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

dt_toronto_geek

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
Any chance someone here saw the meteor streak across the sky at about 5am? It was west of where I am, came from the north, went south as it descended and seemingly went over the lake behind buildings. It was glowing bright blue like the end of a blow-torch and was visible for about 7 or 8 seconds before it went out of view.

I saw this before, about 10 or 12 years ago and I remember media coverage from a group camping at Toronto Island who happened to catch it on videotape while their camera was rolling. I think it ended up landing somewhere down Sarnia area.

Any chance were you... hmm visiting the Magic Dragon? :p

They're fairly common but because of the city lights, they're often too faint to see. I'm near and facing the lake so I got a pretty good dark patch of sky. I do see them every so often.

haha, no! I don't drink or do drugs (I'm boring). I searched around but can't find anything about it, not that it's all that uncommon but it's not exactly an every day event either.

Any chance someone here saw the meteor streak across the sky at about 5am? It was west of where I am, came from the north, went south as it descended and seemingly went over the lake behind buildings. It was glowing bright blue like the end of a blow-torch and was visible for about 7 or 8 seconds before it went out of view.

I saw this before, about 10 or 12 years ago and I remember media coverage from a group camping at Toronto Island who happened to catch it on videotape while their camera was rolling. I think it ended up landing somewhere down Sarnia area.

Do you have Superpowers yet?:)

Saw one of these not long ago:

1975MeteorMontcalm2dr.jpg

anyone remember the orange fireball across the toronto sky around 10-15 years ago?

i remember they actually showed footage on citypulse; some people happened to be recording video at sidewalk patio somewhere downtown and turned their camera to the sky when they saw it.

it was one of the most spectacular things you could ever see. a bright orange flaming fireball with a tail. it was soo bright that i saw it while i was indoors from behind fabric curtains! it looked like the curtains were on fire!

I saw a pretty intense one just before 2:00 AM this morning. It very bright and relatively slow-moving. One could even see it fragmenting as it fell.

I'm going to be going to a remote part of Spain next month, I'll get to see the starry sky for the first time in years.

It's easy to forget the beauty of the billions, trillions of little twinkling lights in the night sky when you live in a city for so long.

On the same note, has anybody seen the moon from the Southern Hemisphere? It's flippin' HUGE! I was in Brazil a few years ago and arrived on a full moon. In Toronto, you take out a loonie and it pretty much covers the moon. In Brazil, (at least at that time of the year) you make a circle with both hands and that's your moon size. I was dumbfounded. Besides that, that huge moon was really low on the horizon. I thought I was seeing an arriving DEATH STAR... oh, and the water in the toilets down there flushes counter-clockwise. :D

Last edited:
I'm going to be going to a remote part of Spain next month, I'll get to see the starry sky for the first time in years.

It's easy to forget the beauty of the billions, trillions of little twinkling lights in the night sky when you live in a city for so long.

On the same note, has anybody seen the moon from the Southern Hemisphere? It's flippin' HUGE! I was in Brazil a few years ago and arrived on a full moon. In Toronto, you take out a loonie and it pretty much covers the moon. In Brazil, (at least at that time of the year) you make a circle with both hands and that's your moon size. I was dumbfounded. Besides that, that huge moon was really low on the horizon. I thought I was seeing an arriving DEATH STAR... oh, and the water in the toilets down there flushes counter-clockwise. :D

according to astronomers, the moon appears large on the horizon & you can experience the same thing over here if you have a good view and are at the right place at the right time. it's some sort of optical illusion. regardless if the moon looks huge on the horizon or small directly above you in the sky, if you measure, it's the same size.

anyone remember the orange fireball across the toronto sky around 10-15 years ago?

i remember they actually showed footage on citypulse; some people happened to be recording video at sidewalk patio somewhere downtown and turned their camera to the sky when they saw it.

it was one of the most spectacular things you could ever see. a bright orange flaming fireball with a tail. it was soo bright that i saw it while i was indoors from behind fabric curtains! it looked like the curtains were on fire!

That's the incident that I mentioned above. Some kids were camping at Toronto Island and had their camera rolling as it went overhead. I saw that while, ironically, sitting at my PC which was in front of a window chatting on IRC (remember that anyone?!). No one on IRC believed me, then the footage hit CityTV the next day.

That's the incident that I mentioned above. Some kids were camping at Toronto Island and had their camera rolling as it went overhead. I saw that while, ironically, sitting at my PC which was in front of a window chatting on IRC (remember that anyone?!). No one on IRC believed me, then the footage hit CityTV the next day.

a while back i tried searching for the event, the day it took place and any video on the net and came up with nothing.

I saw a bright flaming fireball in the sky 2 summers ago. It went just over the airport area from the south, moving north. It happened so fast, I had no time to find a camera. It was amazing and so bright. I thought the world was going to blow up when it hit or something, haha. It kind of freaked me out.

Back