News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

JasonParis

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
As continued from Part III...

I then continued on my walking journey a bit further north to the Turtle Creek area where I came to the Dallas Theater Center.
DSCN5995.jpg

The Dallas Theatre Center (or officially the "Kalita Humphreys Theater") was opened in 1959 and designed by legendary architect Frank Lloyd Wright.
DSCN5995B.jpg

The building is set among the trees on a steep slope above Turtle Creek. Wright apparently said proudly that there was "not a right angle in it."
DSCN5995C.jpg

I can't say it's one of my favourite FLW buildings, but is sort of interesting in a way. It also has a bad wrap for not being a particularly efficient building for theatre production.
DSCN5996.jpg

FLW's Dallas Theater Center (cont.)...
DSCN5998.jpg

DSCN5999.jpg

DSCN6000.jpg

DSCN6003.jpg

DSCN6004.jpg

DSCN6005.jpg

DSCN6007.jpg

DSCN6011.jpg

FLW's Dallas Theater Center from Robert E. Lee Park in Dallas' Turtle Creek neighbourhood.
DSCN6013.jpg

Then it was a walk back south to Uptown where I caught the McKinney Avenue (or M-Line) historic streetcar back downtown. The M-Line is primarily a tourist service between downtown and Uptown, but is free, relatively convenient and allows Dallasites (and particularly tourists) to ride historic rolling stock.
DSCN6014A.jpg

The McKinney Avenue Transit Authority (MATA), a non-profit organization, operates the M-line Streetcar. It is the last remaining line of Dallas' streetcar system which was abandoned in the mid 1950s.
DSCN6015.jpg

M-Line (cont.)
DSCN6016.jpg

Back downtown I had not had my fill of riding the rails so I quickly walked over to St. Paul's DART (light rail) station where I caught a train up to Parker, Texas. However, not before catching a picture of this church!
DSCN6017.jpg

Parker's DART station is the terminus station on the north-end of the Red Line. It's basically slightly north of Plano in the Metroplex's northern suburbs.
Not surprisingly it was surrounded by a big parking lot and not much else. In fairness, there was also some big box format stores in the distance, but a little too far to walk to.

DSCN6018.jpg

The Dallas Area Rapid Transit Authority (DART) operates the vehicles and is quite easy and convenient to use. It also seemed to be well-used by a large spectrum of the population. Still, this is a city where transit is an afterthought so I wouldn't really consider it an extensive system, but for a young system it seems to be extending in the logical directions and connecting the obvious dots of what is a huge poly-nucleated metropolis. A third line ("the green line") will open in 2010. The service levels leave a lot to be desired though with trains often 20-30 minutes apart and the bus service even worse. It's also not really comparable to Toronto's coming "Transit City" plans as much of Dallas' system (save a small portion downtown) runs in former railway right-of-ways and not in the middle of major streets.
DSCN6019.jpg

Richardson, Texas from the DART train. Suburban Dallas is much like suburban Toronto with many secondary hubs. With the exception that these "sub-centres" are generally only office clusters and that there's no condo/residential development.
DSCN6020.jpg

The Campbell Centre from the DART train. For "Dallas" fans, this was the headquarters of the Barnes-Wentworth Oil Company headed by the one-and-only Cliff Barnes!
DSCN6021.jpg

I got off at Union Station where a TRE train from Forth Worth was pulling in.
DSCN6023.jpg

The Reunion Tower sits next to Union Station, but is currently closed for renos.
DSCN6024.jpg

That evening I met-up with my equally "Dallas"-obsessed friend Geret (from Winnipeg) and we headed to J.R.'s Bar & Grill in the gay village for a few drinks on the eve of Dallas' 30th Anniversary Reunion. The popular lesbian bar down the street is honestly called "Sue Ellen's."
DSCN6028.jpg

Day #4 - This day was reserved to all things "Dallas." I met up with Geret relatively early and decided to get in some "Dallas" sights before heading to Southfork Ranch for the big party. Conveniently the North Central Expressway on the way to Southfork Ranch passes the Campbell Centre. We decided to get out and look for Cliff, Pam and Jackie, but couldn't find them.
DSCN6029.jpg

Due to the success of the show, the Campbell Centre is apparently considered one of Dallas' most prestigious business addresses, even though it is 20 minutes north-east of downtown. The complex was completed in 1981.
DSCN6033.jpg

The road to Southfork...
DSCN6033A.jpg

We knew we were close when the Southfork Animal Clinic came into view. Basically, everything in the area is named after Southfork Ranch.
DSCN6033B.jpg

One of the highlights of my trip was finding this...Just a few kilometres east of Southfork Ranch is the Southfork Mobile Home Community. Yup, a Southfork trailer park! It was the perfect combination of trash and glammer mixed together. It made me really giddy.
DSCN6033C.jpg

And even better, EVERY street in the trailer park is named after characters from the TV show "Dallas!"
DSCN6034.jpg

Nope, no bottles of vodka were placed at this corner, but I considered ceremonially leaving one in honour of TV's greatest drunk.
DSCN6045.jpg

OK, so we are still at the Southfork Mobile Home Community and this "isn't" Southfork Ranch. It's actually the trailer park's recreation centre and administration office. It's built as a mini replica of the real Southfork! This place was just too crazy.
DSCN6045A.jpg

Then it was over to the REAL Southfork. While Southfork isn't a working ranch anymore, it is still one of the largest tourist attractions in the state (up there with The Alamo) and hosts many banquets, weddings and scores of tourists for the "Dallas" tour.
DSCN6051.jpg

We are now on the grounds of Southfork Ranch where much of the exterior shooting for the TV show was done between 1978 and 1991.
DSCN6053.jpg

Southfork Ranch (cont.)...
DSCN6054.jpg

As this is Urban Toronto, I'm only going to post selected pictures from the event, but if you yourself are a "Dallas" fan, feel free to see some pics at the following Facebook links (you don't need an account to view)...

• Facebook (Part III) (Fair Park, Uptown/West Village, Dallas Theater Ceter, DART, Campbell Centre, Southfork Mobile Home Community, etc.)
  • Facebook (Part IV) (Southfork Mobile Home Community, Southfork Ranch, Dallas Reunion 30 Barbeque, etc.)
  • Facebook Part V (Dallas Reunion 30 Barbeque - Southfork gate, red carpet, mansion tour, etc.)
  • Facebook Part VI (Dallas Reunion 30 Barbeque [mansion tour, press conference, Dallas Legacy Museum] & Kimbell Art Museum)
To be continued in Part V...

Last edited:
More good Dallas pics!

DK416: Again good Dallas pics continuing your tour in part 4!

I want to mention that those Trinity Railway Express RDC cars are rebuilt former VIA Rail Canada cars I believe-they also have some GO-style bilevel trains with a Texas Lone Star color scheme.

I get a kick out of the "Dallas" TV show notes here-I remember the show well myself. LI MIKE

Back