5.2K     0 

ShonTron

Member Bio
Reaction score
First, the James column:

Councillors need lesson on economy
Nov 23, 2007 04:30 AM
Royson James

Toronto city councillors do seem tragically hooked on spending needlessly and foolishly – despite constantly crying poor.

The mismanagement of the Union Station file being a recent example.

The private sector wanted to fix up the place, pay the city an annual fee and make some money off the venture. That deal fell apart. GO Transit wants to buy it, but the city isn't willing to deal. So now a city-inspired fix-up plan has hit $388 million and counting – and hopelessly dependent on cash from the federal government.

Another example. Budget committee voted Wednesday to borrow $700,000 to purchase food carts so the city can then rent them out to food vendors. Why not let the vendors get their own carts? Because the city wants to control the trade, keep entrepreneurs (conglomerates, John Filion says) from cornering the market.

Why the city has created this business to compete against restaurants is another question. But let's say it's good to be selling a variety of food from the sidewalks. Why must city hall get involved in the purchase, maintenance and distribution of the carts?

But the worst example of mis-spending is the downspout program, which council has managed to turn into a costly blunder.

Toronto wants people to disconnect the downspouts from their eavestroughs so rain is diverted to the lawn instead of into the sewer system. Relatively clean water is being funnelled into sanitary sewers along with the dirty stuff from your bathroom, and the water treatment plants have to clean up a lot more than is necessary. So the idea to disconnect the downspouts is good.

But then the city lost its way.

As an incentive to voluntarily do the right thing, the city offered to pay for the disconnect, and has done so since 1998, at a cost of $2.6 million a year. One homeowner wrote a letter to the editor last September complaining about backlogs, stretching to a year's delay.

The cost per house, at a rate of about $1,300 each, in itself is an outrageous expenditure. Any klutz can do this job at the majority of homes for $100 or less. More complex situations should cost about $400, maybe even $1,000 in extraordinary circumstances. In some cases, there is no solution so you just let them be.

Clearly, a better solution would have been to offer homeowners a rebate, a cheque, cash, $500 each in loonies, whatever – anything short of the $1,300 it costs for inspections, administration and the work done by contractors who must follow costly and uncompetitive city guidelines and policies.

There are 120,000 such homes in the older sections of the city facing a ban on the downspouts. Simple math would have told councillors that if everyone complied the cost would be prohibitive, at $156 million. But councillors then made a bad situation worse.

Staff recommended the city put a deadline of 2010 for homeowners to comply. (Good so far). And a deadline to take advantage of the city's free offer. (Also good). And end the free offer "immediately," meaning Oct. 31. (Great idea. After all, residents had 10 years to take advantage of the free offer.)

Enter councillors. They extended the deadline to Nov. 20. Several sent out mass emails encouraging residents to sign up. Some 55,000 did, almost overnight. The estimated cost has skyrocketed to $65 million. And staff's wondering where to find the money.

Councillors should be hanged, one a day, at noon, in Nathan Phillips Square. Charge admission. We'll net enough money to pay off most of our civic bills.

---

Wow. Royson James calling for a daily lynching? He has stooped to such a low now that I thought was beneath him, I think his time with the Star should be over. If he stays, I say send him to cover Joe Fiorto's "Kent's People" beat. The once mighty media critic Antonia Zerbisias is now covering flaky woman's issues.

Offensive for Star to print such hateful ruminations
Nov 24, 2007 04:30 AM

Councillors need lesson on economy

Column, Nov. 23

As the elected leader of Toronto City Council, I must respond to Royson James's column. It is an utterly despicable piece of supposed journalism and unworthy of your publication.

I will ignore for the moment that many of James's facts are wrong and go directly to the last paragraph of his column where he states: "Councillors should be hanged, one a day, at noon, in Nathan Phillips Square. Charge admission. We'll net enough money to pay off most of our civic bills."

Such a statement is beneath contempt and shows absolutely no respect for democracy, for the families of elected officials or for those in this country who fought to preserve our freedom.

In a democracy, people can choose to disagree about issues like the future of Union Station, the purchase of food vending carts and the disconnection of downspouts. That's what our political system is all about. But I cannot believe a veteran columnist like James would stoop so low as to think that city councillors should be lynched in the public square, never mind put such outrageous thoughts in writing. And it is beyond belief that a newspaper of the Toronto Star's stature – a publication that proclaims itself as the Voice of the GTA – would actually print such hateful ruminations. I find this absolutely offensive.

Many Torontonians came to this city from countries where public officials and other innocent people have been hanged or otherwise murdered and where such atrocities continue to this day. They came to Toronto to be free from such terror and callous disregard for human life. Perhaps James should have asked them – and others, like my Uncle Jim, who fought for the right to debate and discuss public policy – their thoughts on his loathsome advocacy for public lynching.

The Toronto Star owes every Torontonian, every elected official and the families of those elected officials an immediate apology and retraction. Even that is not enough. But, sadly it is all you can do.

Mayor David Miller, Toronto

James must be relieved that he didn't say such stupid things about Mississauga councillors.

Jame's clearly wrote a silly remark and his columns have become so predictable but Miller's reply is also pretty low. Try addressing some of the content at issue rather than the tongue-in-cheek one-liner junk. What's that you can't? I thought so.

Now that lynching is in vogue, I can't wait to see Royson James in Mel Lastman's, Doug Holyday's, Rob Ford's, Denzil-Minnan Wong and Karen Stintz's line.

TrickyRicky:

Since when is the mayor responsible for the behaviour of the councillors, vis-a-vis a weak mayor system?

AoD

Jame's clearly wrote a silly remark and his columns have become so predictable but Miller's reply is also pretty low. Try addressing some of the content at issue rather than the tongue-in-cheek one-liner junk. What's that you can't? I thought so.

As far as I can see, Miller can address any portion of comments made by James - particularly the really stupid remarks. He's not compelled to speak to any other issue just because James raised it. I see nothing with his protest whatsoever.

Some editor at the Star surely should have caught that over-the-top final paragraph in James's story and redacted it.

Having said that, Miller's response is glaringly bad. He doesn't actually address the substance of what James says in any way. He doesn't seem to realize that many consider he and much of his council to be barely one step above complete jackasses.

Um...

Seeing as Royson James is black, was it really wise of Miller to use the word "lynching"?

As a black man, this troubles me deeply as James didn't use that word at all. Miller made the first mention.

I don't think there was anything wrong with the use of "lynching". Overall, I think it was a fairly good response.

Royson James was alluding to extra-judicial executions, so yes, the term "lynchings" was correct, though it's a loaded term. Anyway, James made a comment showing no restraint or any semblance of journalistic integrity or taste. James hasn't even been a good critic of Miller, he just finds what ever he can to use against him, whether justified or not.

Councillors should be hanged, one a day, at noon, in Nathan Phillips Square. Charge admission. We'll net enough money to pay off most of our civic bills.

He suggesting a lynching for profit no less.

Like I said earlier, that'd get him a date in court in Missy.

Royson James' column today in the Star is a howler. Now, fresh from calling for extra-judicial hangings of councillors (and calling that stupid, angry remark "satire"), he refuses to apologize and claims Miller is the now the publisher of the Star. Even better, he's sympathetic to Rob Ford. Lesson for James, stay away from satire, you're no good at it.

Unless you were the Sun, how could you keep James as a City Hall columnist? He flushed whatever journalistic credibility he had right down the drain.

Mayoral words to gripe by

Nov 26, 2007 04:30 AM
Royson James

I had planned to append an apology to the end of this column, which was supposed to be about city councillors forcing one of their own, Councillor Rob Ford, to spend more of taxpayers' money.

It would have read, "Sorry for the rhetorical excess at the end of my column last Friday. Obviously, the suggestion to hang our councillors in Nathan Phillips Square was an attempt at satire, a statement made in jest. While the majority of readers took it that way, my apologies to those who felt hurt by it."

But then Mayor David Miller inserted his hectoring presence into the debate – and before you know it, a rhetorical hanging became a "public lynching," the memory of his "Uncle Jim" is exhumed and he has concluded that the very foundation of democracy is being threatened by one columnist raging against city hall spending.

As they say in basketball, no harm no foul. At issue is not whether Toronto councillors deserve to be hanged (I'm against capital punishment, banned in Canada), subjected to public flogging (opposed wherever it's practised), or run out of office (we've just elected them, they're in until 2010). At issue is how do we register our disgust – sorry, our displeasure – at their fiscal indiscretions.

A number of readers have emailed concern about the mayor's "over the top" rhetoric. Some, mine. Others fear I'll be beaten (metaphorically?) into submission, afraid to utter a single contrarian view in future. My bosses, far from moving to censure me, are more concerned that I might be "chilled" into overlooking wasteful habits as council embarks on this crucial 2008 budget cycle.

No worries. Let's just use the mayor's letter to the editor Saturday as the template for all further analysis and critique of city hall. Surely, an ink-stained wretch is allowed to borrow the mayor's own carefully crafted words.

A cursory glance at the mayor's letter, dripping with bile and bluster, reveals no cause for concern that one's criticism must now be facile, gracious or temperate. The mayor provides a list of choice adjectives and phrases that might now be at a columnist's disposal.

Appropriating the title of ombudsman, editor and publisher – in addition to chief magistrate and monarch – in an attempt to control all propaganda, er, communications in Hogtown, the official list of approved words and phrases include: "Beneath contempt," "Shows absolutely no respect for democracy," "stoop so low," "outrageous thoughts," "beyond belief," "hateful ruminations," "absolutely offensive," "loathsome advocacy."

With the mayor's imprimatur, one can safely use such words without incurring his "hateful ruminations."

Today, his hand-picked executive committee is to consider a report from the integrity commissioner slapping Ford on the wrist for not listing how much of his own money the councillor spends in lieu of using city funds. Ford should comply and file with the clerk every penny of his own money he spends on city business. The reasons are too lengthy to list here. Then, he should ask his colleagues to have the auditor and integrity commissioner investigate what exactly council members spend their $53,100 office budget on.

Go to robford.ca and ask yourself: Is the spending on liquor, wine, food, sports teams, etc. appropriate for a city that is hurting for cash?

Or would you describe what you see, using only the mayor's words, as: a) "Beneath contempt," b) "Shows absolutely no respect for democracy," c) "Outrageous", d) "Beyond belief," e) "Absolutely offensive," f) "Loathsome advocacy."

Knock yourself out. We're allowed to use these words. Publisher Miller says so.

I'm really getting sick of Miller's feigned outrage concerning anyone who disagrees with him. He really needs to address the issues in this city instead of being our photo op mayor.

Why did Miller even respond to Royson James? This man's columns read like drawn-out letters to the Sun.

He suggesting a lynching for profit no less.
In my opinion, "hanging" refers to capital punishment as part of a state's judicial or justice system. A "lynching" on the other hand, IMO, refers to mob rule and killing people outside of a state's justice system. Of course, we could argue killing is killing, but I think there's a distinct difference in the two words.

Back