8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

khris

Member Bio
Reaction score
This is an older story from Dec. 9, 2008. Forgot to post it here. Funny how the image in the story was not of MCC but of Port Credit.
----------

Time to get those Toonies out

fb079a7040f9b74a4e50048aae3e.jpeg

File photo
Beginning early next year, motorists will have to pay to park in the City Centre.

By: Radhika Panjwani

Drivers will soon have to pay to park in the City Centre.
By January or February, the City of Mississauga will begin charging people to park, at a rate of $2 per hour, on City Centre streets, including Confederation Pkwy., Webb Dr., Shipp Dr., Sussex Gate and Princess Royal Dr., among others.
Currently, street parking in the area is free.
City officials say that the decision to charge for parking, which is expected to add $750,000 annually to City coffers, comes in response to the high demand for parking due to the area's growth.
Under the new plan parking on weekdays will be $2 per hour, 6 p.m to 9 p.m. Starting at 6 p.m., residents will have an option to pay a flat rate of $5 for overnight parking (6 p.m to 8 a.m) Monday through Friday, and $5 for overnight (6 p.m.-10 a.m.) Saturdays and Sundays.
Ward 4 councillor Frank Dale said that imposing parking fees and allowing overnight parking on some streets will give relief to some residents in nearby high-rise condominiums. Currently, those residents have limited parking available to them and their visitors.
“We've looked at putting in parking fees in the City Centre itself as the city matured,” said Dale. “The rationale behind it was to encourage more transit use. We're in a transition period where the transit level is not in line with the expectation level of the community, so I had asked (staff) to look at how we can provide parking to accommodate the residences.”
In a report tabled in August, the City's transportation and works department recommended charging for overnight parking in City Centre.
At that time, councillors wanted to adjust some overnight pay-for-parking on several major streets because they didn't want area businesses to be affected.
“...what was happening in the City Centre was, if someone was parking overnight, they would be ticketed,” Dale said. “I had concerns about that, especially since there are shortages of visitor parking in the condominiums. This way, now we will be able to accommodate them and they won't be ticketed.”
Currently, only commercial areas in Port Credit and Clarkson have pay-for-parking, with fees at $1 per hour.

rpanjwani@mississauga.net

Source

This must be a pretty big issue for people. Most Mississauga residents I know highlight free parking as one of the best advantages of living there.

This must be a pretty big issue for people. Most Mississauga residents I know highlight free parking as one of the best advantages of living there.

It's only in MCC right now.

I was wondering when it was about to happen. Those extra-wide streets in MCC that had spacious lanes for parallel parking were too inviting to last. Thing is, with oodles of Square One parking around who will end up using them besides condo visitors or the terminally lazy?

khristopher, there is free parking all over Mississauga.

And not all parking in MCC is free: all the office buildings already charge for parking. So I don't think these new fees will make that much difference.

It would have been nice if when they were widening Hurontario they considered space for parallel parking (and designed the extra lanes for HOV as originally intended). Such wide roads and no on street parking is a bad combination. Because of the city's shortsightedness now too much space is required for parking lots.

Parking on Hurontario? I don't think so. Even Yonge doesn't allow on-street parking.

Installing metered on-street parking in a sprawlsville is like playing a game of chicken. Who is going to be the first sucker who charges for parking in a city where free parking is considered an entitlement?

And Port Credit, (I believe) Streetsville, parts of Clarkson, some waterfront parks as part of a pilot project...

Back