News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I think the 35 is a good route for all-night service. I'd like 39 as well, since I live near Britannia, but it's not well-used at the best of times....Britannia is just very low-density. The nearest apartment building on Britannia that I can think of is at Glen Erin, and I don't think there's anything else along the rest of the road up until it gets cut off at the 401/403/410 interchange. It would also help if Britannia was continuous with the portion east of the 401/403/410.

Yes, 39 needs to be part of the night system staring from Renforth, like it should the last few year. It could be a route with 60 minutes headway compare to 30 for the most of the others.

The upcoming increase in service for 107 (18.5 minute frequency during midday) is significant.

Very surprising. Especially that midday loads range from average to below average. But this is just a new addition, so it will take a couple of years (or as soon as September) to see the real impact.

61 Mavis today is no doubt the sixth busiest local route in the system (behind 19, 1, 26, 3, and 5) and should definitely be considered for all-night service.

I'm surprised. I was very sure 110 still blows 61 out of the water, at least for weekdays though.

Have late night service is another long over due service, especially for Friday and Sat Night. MT only has a few routes that go that late now. Again in Europe, most routes are going to 2-4 am on Friday and Sat night if they aren't 24hr lines.

As for 19 going to Shopper's World at night, it needs to happen since the 502 will not be running then. In fact it should do that now, before the change since the 407 stop generates no ridership in the first place including Brampton #2. A GO/Metrolinx requirement.

Agree to this.

35 should get extended Saturday and Sunday early morning service to accommodate the last call, probably 61 as well. Maybe 20 as well, but I think 26 can handle the Friday and Saturday night partygoers by itself without overcrowding.

19 should definitely go to Shoppers World (oops, Brampton Getaway, ughh, Gateway) since it will be the only route to serve the terminal during the wee hours. No excuse for Brampton's "lack of space". Whenever 2 gets extended service hours though, then during those times, 19 will retract to 407, while what 2 still cannot cover should remain "19D". Pretty good deal for southern Brampton at least, and a little walk to my home as well!

The time has come to move to a grid system to do away with a lot of single seats riders as they are too costly to operate. Both 19 and 26 would not service Sq One Terminal overnight until the mall is open all night and that pushing it due to the extra 15 minutes to service it. It would removed the need for 2 extra buses per route.

I think 26 should still divert via Rathburn, even though not necessarily entering the terminal to serve the condos along the western and northwestern area of the City Centre, unless 9, 61, 66, or an extended 20 to Erindale gets 24/7 service. But if not, then it can stop at the current 109 stop (for both westbound and eastbound), but that may confuse passengers due to having two different boarding locations for the same route and direction.

Last edited:
24 hour service would be crazy, but it needs to be a full network. I don't think 1 and 19 are not going to be successful all by themselves.

It could work for a start. I think even Toronto only had 24-hr buses on Yonge and Bloor until Blue Night came along in the mid-80s.

Last edited:
It could work for a start. I think even Toronto only had 24-hr buses on Yonge and Bloor until Blue Night came along in the mid-80s.
To the outer suburbs perhaps. But night services date to the 1890s in the old city. I'm pretty sure the Queen and Carlton and possibly King and St. Clair streetcars have been all night since the TTC was created (in addition to Yonge and Bloor).

I don't agree with idea of MT becoming a pure grid system. Is it more efficient to have Mavis rider transfer at Rathburn to get to Sq One and the BRT? Even if the riders were willing to accept this transfer, how can route 9 handle them? Even the TTC doesn't take the grid this far. The Steeles buses still serve Finch station.

MT is a mix of hub-and-spoke and grid system. That's why it works. Look at Eglinton, it has both hub-and-spoke routes (7 and 34) and grid routes (35). But if you make it a grid, even the 35 would end at Renforth.

Sure, MT needs a better grid. 28 and 66 should be combined into a single route for example. 43 needs all day, two-way service. 9 needs to rerouted along Thomas Street. But to take the 61 out CCTT, that makes no sense to me. An additional route that bypasses the City Centre would make more sense.

Pure grid is a just as inefficient as pure hub-and-spoke. You need to have both because there is demand for both types of routes.

If pure hub-and-spoke system was so inefficient then why does GO Transit have the highest cost recovery ratio in North America?

Very surprising. Especially that midday loads range from average to below average. But this is just a new addition, so it will take a couple of years (or as soon as September) to see the real impact.

Yeah, same for 24/110. The ridership was low but it grew every year and look at it now.

I'm surprised. I was very sure 110 still blows 61 out of the water, at least for weekdays though.

Yeah, I said sixth busiest local route. 110 is sixth overall for sure, at least on weekdays. But the way most express route overlap with local routes it is hard gauge the true demand...

Wow, the Yonge night bus ran every 15 minutes even back then. I wonder if it would busy enough now for the TTC to consider having 24-hour subway service now. I wouln't be surprised if even southern York Region could use 24-hour service on Yonge now.

Wow, the Yonge night bus ran every 15 minutes even back then. I wonder if it would busy enough now for the TTC to consider having 24-hour subway service now. I wouln't be surprised if even southern York Region could use 24-hour service on Yonge now.

24-hour subway service is only possible if you increase the number of outages over weekends. Maintenance isn't an option.

Incidentally, maintenance workers are in favour of weekend outages because they're much more efficient. It takes hours to setup and tear-down a work site.

24-hour subway service is only possible if you increase the number of outages over weekends.
Or if you put in new signalling and cross-overs so that you can run trains on only one side of the tracks, and maintain the other.

Or if you put in new signalling and cross-overs so that you can run trains on only one side of the tracks, and maintain the other.

Maybe. You still need a shutdown anytime you do work on the cross-overs in that section which are some of the higher maintenance areas.

Obviously we're not going to be installing cross-overs on existing subway lines except in places where they have previously existed.

Also, power on both tracks may be linked at the moment so that would need to be segregated.

IIRC, from a TTC report on the subject (it was related to the new signalling system), if all of the above work was done the service frequencies would be around the 30 minute range due to the current distance between crossovers.

Last edited:
There is talk that the weekly pass for students will be phased out in 2014 and a mistake. It should be the monthly one.

Some 24 hour routes could show up in 2014 and this will have an impact on Peel wheel tram if it does. Wheel tram will have to offer 24hr service if MT does go ahead with 24hr. Long over due.

As to headway, could be 30-60 mimutes depending on runtime and X buses on the route. As to routes, still being review, but 26, 19, 1, 3 and 13 most likely be the first ones. Need 11, 35, 61 and 23 also. 19 will have to run to Shoppers World and time to reinstate it for regular service since there is rooom for it now.

MiWay -University of Toronto at Mississauga (UTM) Universal Transit Pass Program FalllWinter 2013/2014 and Summer Transit Pass Program 2013 & 2014

See Report, as cut and paste not working on city site: http://www.mississauga.ca/file/COM/GC_Agenda_March_20_2013.pdf

No 24 hour service for 5 Dixie? That would be a mistake.

I think they could have a 19D operating late night to Shoppers World when both 103 and Brampton Transit aren't in service.

As for what routes will see service on a 7/24 bases in 2014 is still under review since funding is needed first. As more funds are found, more routes will be added including 5. How they will operate and be number is still to be determine.

As for this committee, long over due considering I have being trying to get a Transit committee since 2002. There needs to be public representation on this committee, as the most councilors are out to lunch in the first place on these issues.
City eyes new committee on transit and transportation

Chris Clay| Mar 19, 2013 - 8:49 PM

MISSISSAUGA — The City of Mississauga appears poised to move forward on creating a new committee that will examine the critical issues of transit and transportation.

Members of the municipality's Governance Committee yesterday agreed to get staff looking into establishing the committee, which would be similar in structure to Council (with the municipality's 11 councillors and mayor as sitting members) as opposed to simply being an advisory committee that typically includes citizen members.

The new committee would meet once every three weeks, meaning the Council and General Committees would also convene on that schedule. Currently, they meet every two weeks.

The decision to form the committee comes at an important time for the municipality as it wrestles with improving transportation and transit in Mississauga. With key transit projects underway, such as bus rapid transit, and other important infrastructure plans in the works, such as the $1.6-billion light rail transit plan, councillors feel it's time to form the new committee.

"Obviously, I think we're all in agreement that we need a transportation (and) transit committee," said Ward 5 Councillor Bonnie Crombie. "It's the most strategic issue we face.

It's where we spend the largest amount of our resource dollars, it's where we have the greatest deficit as well as our infrastructure. And, it's the most critical issue we face ... and we'll certainly be spending a lot of time in the future debating on where the funding will come from to build the transportation and transit network we need."

A staff report noted transportation and transit are two of the highest priorities for the municipality and are typically discussed at General Committee. The report states that having a committee dealing with these items specifically will allow time for "deeper discussions" on the issues of the day.

Mayor Hazel McCallion asked staff to start looking at the formation of the committee. It was originally not going to be established until the start of the next term of Council. City manager Janice Baker suggested starting sooner rather than later would be a good thing.

"On some of the major projects (such as the BRT or LRT) … we're not being brought up to date as we would be if there was a transportation committee," said McCallion. "I think this structure will give it a much higher priority."

The plan still has to be formally approved by Council.

The debate came up after the City undertook a thorough review of its 23 committees of Council. Staff recommended 15 of the committees stay the same, but suggested the elimination of or change in mandate of eight others. Staff did note the City has a higher number of committees than other municipalities, with the average being about 17 or 18.

For example, the Museums of Mississauga Advisory Committee could be axed because City staff with the culture division are handling many of the duties relegated to the committee. There was also a suggestion of eliminating or changing the Mississauga Celebration Square, Road Safety Mississauga Advisory, Public Vehicle Advisory and Towing Industry Advisory committees.

However, not all councillors support elimination.

Ward 11 Councillor George Carlson said there's no harm in letting the museums committee continue. He said if the group wants to keep working, he didn't see the benefit in disbanding it.

Ward 6 Councillor Ron Starr said a transportation committee would be "critical" for the growth and development of the city.

However, he's reluctant to see some of the other committees changed, including the Public Vehicle Advisory and Towing Industry Advisory committees.

McCallion concurred, adding the towing industry was "completely out of control" and the work of the committee has been quite valuable.

Any decisions will not take effect until the start of the next term of Council in late 2014.
cclay@mississauga.net

24 New Xcelsior Buses for late 2013 delivery

The 10 60' will replace the 2001 ones.

Someone needs to check the number of buses MT has, but it more than 242.

http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/mississauga-transit-awards-flyer-contract-200300117.html
[h=1]Mississauga Transit Awards New Flyer a Contract for 24 Xcelsiorâ„¢ Buses[/h]1 hour 16 minutes ago

WINNIPEG, March 22, 2013 /CNW/ - (TSX:NFI) (TSX:NFI.DB.U) New Flyer Industries Inc. ("New Flyer" or the "Company"), the leading manufacturer of heavy-duty transit buses in Canada and the United States, announced today that Mississauga Transit ("MiWay") has approved the purchase of ten (twenty equivalent units or "EUs") Xcelsiorâ„¢ diesel 60-foot articulated heavy-duty buses and 14 diesel 40-foot Xcelsiorâ„¢ heavy-duty buses.

The delivery of the 24th bus of this order will mark the 242[SUP]nd[/SUP] bus that New Flyer has built and delivered to the transit agency since our first collaborative build dating back to 1993.
"The BRT style buses will be put into service on the Mississauga Transitway which is scheduled to open the first segment this Fall and the articulated buses will replace retiring New Flyer buses after many years of service to transit riders in Mississauga," said Geoff Marinoff, Transit Director, MiWay.
"This order shows the key partnership that MiWay and New Flyer have developed over the past twenty years," said Paul Soubry, President and CEO of New Flyer. "We're pleased to once again be awarded the opportunity to build for MiWay and are thrilled to have repeat customers that believe in the quality of our buses and understand the value of the strong support network that stands behind all of our products."
All 24 40- and 60-foot buses are expected to begin production in the third quarter of 2013. Delivery of the buses is anticipated for the third quarter of 2013.

About New Flyer
New Flyer is the leading manufacturer of heavy-duty transit buses in Canada and the United States. The Company's three manufacturing facilities - in Winnipeg, MB; St. Cloud, MN and Crookston, MN - are all ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001 certified. The Company currently operates a parts fabrication facility in Elkhart, IN and four parts distribution centers in Winnipeg, MB; Brampton, ON; Erlanger, KY and Fresno, CA. The Company also operates a service center in Arnprior, ON.
With a skilled workforce of over 2,000 employees, New Flyer is a technology leader, offering the broadest product line in the industry, including drive systems powered by clean diesel, LNG, CNG and electric trolley as well as energy-efficient diesel-electric hybrid vehicles. New Flyer has delivered over 32,000 heavy-duty buses in Canada and the United States. All products are supported with an industry-leading, comprehensive parts and service network. Further information is available on New Flyer's web site at www.newflyer.com.
The common shares and convertible unsecured subordinated debentures of New Flyer are traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols NFI and NFI.DB.U, respectively.
Forward-Looking Statements
This press release may contain forward-looking statements relating to expected future events and financial and operating results of the Company that involve risks and uncertainties. Although the forward-looking statements contained in this press release are based upon what management believes to be reasonable assumptions, investors cannot be assured that actual results will be consistent with these forward-looking statements, and the differences may be material. Actual results may differ materially from management expectations as projected in such forward-looking statements for a variety of reasons, including market and general economic conditions and economic conditions of and funding availability for customers to purchase buses and to purchase parts or services, customers may not exercise options to purchase additional buses, the ability of customers to terminate contracts for convenience and the other risks and uncertainties discussed in the materials filed with the Canadian securities regulatory authorities and available on SEDAR at www.sedar.com. Due to the potential impact of these factors, the Company disclaims any intention or obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise, unless required by applicable law.
SOURCE: New Flyer Industries Inc.

MiWay Ticket Agent Network Consolidation (Wards l,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) report going to Council on June 12: Item 14 starting page 93

Calls for eliminating agents selling Media fare.

Calls for the elimination of Student passes come September.

Calls for the elimination of Adult weekly pass starting 2014.

Calls for installing fare machines at 4 community centres and then to others over time. (Need to set them up at Sq One Terminal now, as well other havey travel terminals.)

http://www7.mississa...3_GC_Agenda.pdf

Time to get your PRESTO card if you don't have one.

Note: Sheridan College Parking fees are going by 30% or more.

Back