8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

CplKlinger

Member Bio
Reaction score
Edmonton is rolling out mobility lanes and shared streets again this summer; they'll be opened once the pertinent streets/avenues are swept. Whyte Ave doesn't appear on the list of affected streets, which surprises me a bit. I saw pylons and curb ramps being unloaded last week, I assumed that crews were preparing for this.

Just to clarify:

"Shared Streets are open for people to use to bike, walk, or other active modes. Vehicle access is restricted to local traffic only on these streets. Since all modes are using the same space, the speed limit is reduced to 20 km/hr. "

"Mobility Lanes open the use of a vehicle lane for people to use for physical activity by closing the lane to vehicle traffic and reducing speed limits to 40 km/hr."

"Bike Nickle", our favourite mayoral candidate, is calling these "emergency bike lanes" :rolleyes:
The Old Strathcona Business Association actually responded with a correction, stating that this initiative increased traffic for their businesses and thus business owners wanted them back for this summer.
F* Mike Nickel 🤬🤣🤣🤣🤣
I REALLY LOVE both the Mobility Lanes and Shared roads. I was actually talking today with my building manager and a few other residents of our building AND Jasper House about it. We all actually believe 100 Ave/121 st along Victoria Promenade should be made into a permanent Shared Use Road, with everything in the same level, more trees and better bike infrastructure, much like Argyle and Grafton in Halifax!

Back