much better area? I would argue the opposite.

We're going to have to agree to disagree. Edge is in a transitional area, but it's much further along. You can also walk to St. Lawrence Market, Furniture District, Distillery District, etc. You're right by the highway and close to Danforth.

Here's an example of what you can get in the resale market.

Edge Lofts - 637 sqft - much better area - 10ft ceilings $299K
http://properties.torontocondos.com/property.php?property=E1996546

The one benefit of purchasing new construction over resale is gone. Prices for new con. used to be quite a bit cheaper than resale, now it's the other way around. Purchasing new is just not a smart move right now. There are exceptions of course.

I find myself nowadays having to talk people out of buying overpriced new con. condos that will tie up theirr money for 4-5 years in an unpredictable market.

that unit is on a low floor so one will be subject to alot of road + outside noises ...
it doesn't say whats the exposure, but N will face Queen E; W overlook DVP; E faces mid-rise building which might be re-developed; S faces a laneway and mid-rise building.

that unit is on a low floor so one will be subject to alot of road + outside noises ...
it doesn't say whats the exposure, but N will face Queen E; W overlook DVP; E faces mid-rise building which might be re-developed; S faces a laneway and mid-rise building.

It's just an example. Motif is like 4 storeys high, odds are the views are no better than at Edge. You really think Motif at 40K+ closing costs (10K) and occupancy is a better buy than the unit posted?

It's just an example. Motif is like 4 storeys high, odds are the views are no better than at Edge. You really think Motif at 40K+ closing costs (10K) and occupancy is a better buy than the unit posted?

no i don't think it'll be better ...
just saying to the OP to get something higher and not as close to traffic

Hmmm, I agree.

I think Ossington and Queen is a better area. However, the $337,900 for a 1bdr @640 sq feet at Motif
seems to be over-priced according to most on this forum.

If it was around $310,000 then maybe it would be worth it....

Hmmm, I agree.

I think Ossington and Queen is a better area. However, the $337,900 for a 1bdr @640 sq feet at Motif
seems to be over-priced according to most on this forum.

If it was around $310,000 then maybe it would be worth it....

i recently got an invitation from Streetcar Development for phase 2 for their condo at the corner of Dufferin/Queen across from The Drake Hotel with prices at $450 PSF, so i think that should give u a gage for prices around that area.

Except Streetcar builds crappy conservative buildings these days. Motif is in a different league. Seen the retail opening around here lately? Very high end men's and women's clothing boutiques.

Motif vs Edge? No comparison, as Edge is an ugly building in a ghetto location. Motif=2 minute walk to the hottest park in the city, best cafes and restaurants, hipster bars and art openings. Edge=loudest location in Broadview Village with cheap spandrel. A few nice restaurants of course, but why not just buy a home here?

Last edited:
Yeah, as I said, Motif's interior really is in a different league. And the location is great. There is no comparison, except the price.
$337,900 for 640 sq feet. So at that price, does Edge Condos still win (not that I'd buy there)? That's the question. And by all accounts it's too much.
Although, my heart says take it, my brain and everyone else's says no.

Edge is a garbage location and will see very little appreciation - even with the waterfront redevelopment across the way. It goes to show you how much a couple blocks difference can make as I expect the Broadview lofts to do quite well.

Curious discussion - and very interesting. For what it's worth, the lofts are virtually sold out at motif. There are 3 left.

I think a lot of buyer are responding to RAW Design + II X IV interiors, and responding positively to the small-scale of the building.

There's a condo for everyone - that's the great thing about this market!

I was pretty impressed by the finishes of Motif when I attended the Broker Event. I think it will be a great building for owner occupiers that want high end finishes and like the area. Having said that, I helped a client buy pre-construction in Edge on Triangle Park (accross the street from The Drake) today and they paid $298,900 for a 695ft suite with parking - but it won't be as nicely finished as Motif and he doesn't plan on ever living in it.

Any Motif townhouse purchasers out there?

We are looking to get in touch to discuss the recent proposed changes to the townhomes at Motif!

Back