9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Tacoma

Member Bio
Reaction score
I subscribe to My TTC service alerts that sends me an e-mail when a "major" disruption occurs. FYI, if you're interested (if not, please exit now!), I've copied below all the e-mails for January 2010 that relates to problems in the subway/SRT lines only (i.e., excluded all streetcar, tram and bus delays). As well, I've excluded any e-mails of incidences that appears external to TTC, such as passenger issues or police investigations or fires that resulted in disruptions.

As well, I have found that not every incident resulted in an e-mail as there were times when 15-20min delays I actually experienced while on the subway wasn't identified by My TTC, so this list not complete by any stretch. Here it goes...

Sent: 1/3/10 3:35 PM
Due to a smell of smoke at Eglinton Stn there is no service on the YUS line between Bloor and Lawrence Stns. Shuttle buses are running.

Sent: 1/3/10 6:30 PM
Due to a smell of smoke at track level at Eglinton Stn there is no service on the Younge University Spadina line from Bloor to Lawrence Stns

Sent: 1/4/10 8:25 AM
Weather related mechanical and signal issues are causing longer then normal wait times on the YUS and Bloor lines.

Sent: 1/4/10 9:35 AM
Mechanical issues are causing delays on the Yonge line from Finch to Eglinton station.

Sent: 1/4/10 11:32 AM
Due to a power off situation, there is no service on the Yonge line between Finch and Lawrence station.

Sent: 1/4/10 7:00 PM
Due to signal problems Eastbound at Donlands Stn there will be slower than normal service from Jane to Donlands Stns for approx one hour.

Sent: 1/5/10 4:50 PM
Due to signal problems at King Stn there is no service on the YUS line from Bloor to Osgoode Stns. Shuttle buses are running.

Sent: 1/6/10 7:20 AM
Due to a disabled train, there will be longer then normal wait times on the SRT line.

Sent: 1/6/10 7:45 AM
Mechanical problems are causing a delay on the Spadina line. Shuttle buses are running between Lawrence W and St Clair W Stations.

Sent: 1/6/10 10:25 AM
A disabled train is causing a delay on the Bloor line.

Sent: 1/9/10 5:58 AM
Signal problems are causing a delay on the Bloor-Danforth line at Warden Stn. Buses are running between Victoria Park and Kennedy Stations.

Sent: 1/9/10 7:22 AM
Signal problems are causing a delay on the Bloor-Danforth line. Shuttle buses are running between Woodbine and Kennedy Stations.

Sent: 1/9/10 9:48 AM
Signal problems are causing a delay on the Bloor-Danforth line. Shuttle buses are running between Victoria Park and Kennedy Stations.

Sent: 1/9/10 3:22 PM
Signal problems continue on the Bloor-Danforth line, resulting in a disruption to service. Shuttle buses are running between Victoria Park

Sent: 1/12/10 6:07 AM
Due to a workzone that was late clearing, there is no service on the Yonge line from Lawrence to Bloor stn. Shuttle buses are running.

Sent: 1/14/10 6:09 AM
Due to switch problems at Davisville stn, there is no service on the Yonge line between Eglinton & Bloor stn. Shuttle buses are running.

Sent: 1/18/10 9:00 AM
There is no service on the Bloor line between Kipling and Islington stn due to water on the tracks. Shuttle buses are running.

Sent: 1/18/10 10:44 PM
The Bloor-Danforth line is closed from Broadview to Woodbine Stns due to a personal injury at track level. Shuttle buses are running.

Sent: 1/19/10 7:59 AM
Due to report of smoke on a train at Kennedy stn, the entire SRT line is down. Shuttle buses are running.

Sent: 1/21/10 11:39 PM
As a result of switch problems at Wilson Stn, shuttle buses are running between Lawrence West and Downsview on the Yonge-University-

Sent: 1/21/10 11:44 PM
As a result of switch problems at Wilson Stn, shuttle buses are running between Lawrence West and Downsview on the Spadina Line.

Sent: 1/23/10 6:21 PM
The University Line is closed from Spadina to Union Stns due to a personal inury at track level. Shuttle buses are running.

Sent: 1/25/10 10:16 AM
Switch problems are causing a delay on the Spadina line between Downsview and Wilson stn. Shuttle buses are running.

Sent: 1/29/10 6:46 AM
Signal problems are causing longer then normal wait times on the Spadina line from Downsview to Wilson Stn.

Sent: 1/29/10 7:41 AM
Due to a disabled train, we are experiencing longer then normal wait times on the SRT line.

Sent: 1/31/10 8:59 AM
Due to power rail issues there is currently no train service on the Scarborough Rapid Transit line. Shuttle buses are running.

That's it for January. So there were at least 26 incidents that caused material disruption or about 0.84 material incidents per day. And if you include disruptions that were excluded (e.g., caused by a fire at a station or passenger issues), you're probably looking at almost 1 per day, if not more. So if it feels like there seems to be a delay most times you take the subway/SRT, it's not just a feeling.

Back