IMG_20241005_210000.jpg
IMG_20241005_210017.jpg
IMG_20241005_210047.jpg
IMG_20241006_185957.jpg

A report on the condition of the Square and related infrastructure and plans for same is headed to next week's General Government Ctte:

The key bits:

1) There are no 'grand plans' currently in process.

2) There is scheduled work to restore the staircases and ceremonial ramp up to the elevated walkway over the course of the next year or so.

3) The decorative fountains in the square don't work, study is currently underway as to whether to repair or replace.

4) Analysis of the condition of the Sheraton Centre link is underway and will report out next year. There does not appear to be any consideration of demolishing it, which should be front a centre for a link that adds no real value of any kind, but is moderately costly to maintain.

5) Speakers Corner will be moved/reestablished at the corner Queen/Bay

6) There is a need to upgrade the electrical for the square in order to better accommodate special events and holiday displays..........said work is currently unfunded.

Limited mention is given to the condition of flower pots, grassy areas and planting beds:

1728406994846.png

Missing:

The need to conceptualize better seating, both seasonal and non-seasonal

The need to clearly address the mud pits (grass areas near Queen) by either obstructing people from walking over them or modifying the planting/paving/design to something more functional.

The need to contemplate desirable holiday lighting and make elements of the Square serve that purpose well.

The need to completely fix this section of Queen, including removing the south-side access to the parking garage.

The need to enlarge the bicycle storage facility, significantly to eliminate the current waiting list and provide room for some further growth.

A report on the condition of the Square and related infrastructure and plans for same is headed to next week's General Government Ctte:

The key bits:

1) There are no 'grand plans' currently in process.

2) There is scheduled work to restore the staircases and ceremonial ramp up to the elevated walkway over the course of the next year or so.

3) The decorative fountains in the square don't work, study is currently underway as to whether to repair or replace.

4) Analysis of the condition of the Sheraton Centre link is underway and will report out next year. There does not appear to be any consideration of demolishing it, which should be front a centre for a link that adds no real value of any kind, but is moderately costly to maintain.

5) Speakers Corner will be moved/reestablished at the corner Queen/Bay

6) There is a need to upgrade the electrical for the square in order to better accommodate special events and holiday displays..........said work is currently unfunded.

Limited mention is given to the condition of flower pots, grassy areas and planting beds:

View attachment 602561

Missing:

The need to conceptualize better seating, both seasonal and non-seasonal

The need to clearly address the mud pits (grass areas near Queen) by either obstructing people from walking over them or modifying the planting/paving/design to something more functional.

The need to contemplate desirable holiday lighting and make elements of the Square serve that purpose well.

The need to completely fix this section of Queen, including removing the south-side access to the parking garage.

The need to enlarge the bicycle storage facility, significantly to eliminate the current waiting list and provide room for some further growth.
Sounds good. I wish they'd actually work with the Sheraton to make the bridge more accessible & useful especially if they don't plan on pedestrianizing that section of Queen.

Indeed, I'd rather they strongly consider pedestrianizing the areas a bit further west where there are more shops, and use the already existing bridge as the safe option for crossing in that area.

Perhaps the part of the Sheraton where the bridge goes could be reconfigured into a food hall or a nice mini mall or something? Just seems like such a waste to have an amazing access point with a great spot for taking photos to boot & then doing absolutely nothing with it. And as much as the city hall side of the street has stuff to do & see, I've always found the Sheraton side to be a bit of boring stretch to walk along.

Sounds good. I wish they'd actually work with the Sheraton to make the bridge more accessible & useful especially if they don't plan on pedestrianizing that section of Queen.

Indeed, I'd rather they strongly consider pedestrianizing the areas a bit further west where there are more shops, and use the already existing bridge as the safe option for crossing in that area.

Perhaps the part of the Sheraton where the bridge goes could be reconfigured into a food hall or a nice mini mall or something? Just seems like such a waste to have an amazing access point with a great spot for taking photos to boot & then doing absolutely nothing with it. And as much as the city hall side of the street has stuff to do & see, I've always found the Sheraton side to be a bit of boring stretch to walk along.

I'd prefer to see the bridge removed, myself. You can get shots of City Hall from the elevated deck within the Square.

Going just a bit to the south gives you good elevated views of Queen, but I think they're kind of unremarkable. So for me, the downside of retention isn't just a maintenance cost, its low usage, low return for the investment, as well as taking people off Queen at-grade.

In terms of Queen itself here, I've discussed my own preferences and what I seem feasible. Pedestrianzing University to York and Bay to Yonge are both feasible, but not directly in front of City Hall, as you have to allow for access to/from the principle entry point for the City Hall parking garage.

That said, there is ample opportunity to make Queen here nicer and calmer, just not car free. But none of that work is currently funded.

Back