News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Way out of context for the neighborhood, but what the hell, it's a great design and there shouldn't be many shadow issues as there's very little residential that it would affect to the north. Spadina & College could use an injection like this.

Fire alarms will suck. I half feel bad for the students living on the upper floors.. but then again, look at that view they get.

I agree with The_Architect. Even living in a 14 storey residence when the fire alarm goes off is a pain, 40 storeys would be a nightmare.

And I think too much emphasis is placed on 'lack of context with the surrounding neighbourhood'. At one point or another in downtown, EVERY high-rise that was placed in a low-rise area was out of context with the surrounding neighbourhood. I think that stretch between University and Spadina, from Queen up to U of T could potentially be the next hotbed for condo development. This type of development could certainly help that.

30 storeys is way different from 40 storeys. 30 might work, but this design would have to be compromised quite a bit.
Either way I think the residents are going to see this as opening the door to having an even more frat house like version of Cityplace transplanted to College and Spadina, which I'm sure they won't want.

Looks cool, but how the hell will they convince everyone it's appropriate for the area?

I can see this being cut by about 10 stories. I also wonder if 253 College is a heritage building. The only thing helping their cause is the CAMH office building on the south side of College. Other than those issues, what better place is there for this kind of density?

The rendering looks fabulous. However, I bemoan the fact that there doesn't seem to be any shoppes or businesses at the base. It being a student's residence I can see why they might not put anything there; but, at least a café or something!

The rendering looks fabulous. However, I bemoan the fact that there doesn't seem to be any shoppes or businesses at the base. It being a student's residence I can see why they might not put anything there; but, at least a café or something!

I'd say it is to make the students leave the resident for their nutrition needs. But I think they will have a generic cafe/lunch place in the building.

It would be a shame to lose something as interesting as this because of a context argument, and as CityPlaceN1 has suggested with the abrupt arrival of the TDCentre in 1967, building out of context can end up being a good thing.

Back