News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I walk my dog several kilometres through the city every day and this just opened up the whole region for me. I’ve long wanted to take my dog on regular walks outside of Toronto but having no GO or ViaRail to get us there, my options were limited.

I’m thinking of going over to Hamilton tomorrow. I haven’t been in 10 years. Anybody know the city well and can suggest some good spots for an urban walk?

Any other suggestions anywhere on the GO network?

Oh, dog policy. Thought it said something else for a sec (although GO might also need one for that in the near future...)

how typical. distract people from the real issues with silliness such as this

I see no issues having dogs on transit so long they are on a leash.

Look what happen today. A dog got on a GO train to Union by itself, with the owner not at home and no idea how it got out.

The owner got a call from the train crew saying their dog was heading to Union since it had the info on its tag. The dog behave very well and was in the owner hands 2 hours later.

I walk my dog several kilometres through the city every day and this just opened up the whole region for me. I’ve long wanted to take my dog on regular walks outside of Toronto but having no GO or ViaRail to get us there, my options were limited.

I’m thinking of going over to Hamilton tomorrow. I haven’t been in 10 years. Anybody know the city well and can suggest some good spots for an urban walk?

Any other suggestions anywhere on the GO network?
I'm also rejoicing on this, but be aware it's only for trains and HSR don't allow dogs outside of a cage. I'd strongly suggest Rouge Hill, and either walk east to the marsh and beach, or west along the lake until reaching the path up to Bellamy, then up to Eglinton Station and back west.

If you can't make that entire distance, bear in mind that outside of rush-hour, you can take Fido on the TTC. You haven't indicated how far your dog will walk. Rouge Hill is excellent for dogs and humans, as the park to the east is superb. A huge factor this time of year is to allow your dog in the lake to swim, get thoroughly wet, and then walking distance is possible as he/she will keep cool, and with the lake there, dog can go back in anytime they're too hot. This is extremely important! Otherwise, do a short walk.

I know some twenty or more excellent walks using GO train to get there, but I need to know what kind of distance is apt.

A dog and it's owner joined us for the bus ride from Bramalea to Kitchener a few weeks ago. No issues. The dog just lay down at the owners feet.
That must have been the 30 bus. Was it a service dog? I've asked, and been told, and confirmed on-line the policy for non-service dogs is train-only.

If buses are also included...whoopee! But I highly doubt it...

Addendum:

Well I'll be damned! GO has been telling me the wrong information:
Are animals allowed on trains and buses?

From July 20 to October 15, we’re testing out a different approach for dogs travelling on our trains and buses. More information.
https://www.gotransit.com/en/travelling-with-us/dogs-travelling-on-go

I'm going to phone them again, and since they themselves don't seem to know what the policy is, print out that page to show when I'm told I can't do it.

I'll update this post when I find out more.

Update: YES! Allowed on buses too. Just called their head-office. Outside of peak, of course, and not on a seat unless in a cage, of course. I highly suggest taking paper towels with you and poo bags in case of an accident. This has to be done responsibly for the benefit of all concerned.

For Hamilton? Since HSR won't take dogs, I highly recommend the rail trails, as many converge on the core. But beware of the need for the dog to stay cool. I'll offer some more suggestions later. I'm planning a dog trip to Guelph!

Ontario slowly joins the modern world.

Last edited:
When the petition started I sent notes to GO and AMA telling them they should not give in to the pressure of a few and that their then current policy (ie. service animals only) was perfectly fine and appropriate.......there was no need for this change.

edited: got the wrong info on the petition.

Last edited:
When the petition started I sent notes to GO and AMA telling them they should not give in to the pressure of a few and that their then current policy (ie. service animals only) was perfectly fine and appropriate.......there was no need for this change.
In your limited opinion. It works fine for other systems, TTC included, it works fine in Europe, and it means that those not able to travel with their best companions are severely restricted in options.

You do realize it's only off-peak and with conditions?

Here's a point made by Transport for London (those crude, unrefined Europeans allow dogs in restaurants, pubs, most anywhere with provisos) on escalators, something GO and TTC don't make, but something I learned decades ago the hard way:

Taking your dog on the Tube. Transport for London (TfL) allows dogs to travel on the Tube, but you must carry it on the escalator to prevent damage to its paws. Guide and assistance dogs are exempt from this requirement as long as they have been issued with a pass that demonstrates they have been trained to use them.Jun 9, 2016
If you are physically able, always take the stairs with your dog if too large to carry, or the elevator. I see some people allowing their kids let alone dogs to ride the escalator with no shoes on....it's courting disaster.

I'm also rejoicing on this, but be aware it's only for trains and HSR don't allow dogs outside of a cage. I'd strongly suggest Rouge Hill, and either walk east to the marsh and beach, or west along the lake until reaching the path up to Bellamy, then up to Eglinton Station and back west.

If you can't make that entire distance, bear in mind that outside of rush-hour, you can take Fido on the TTC. You haven't indicated how far your dog will walk. Rouge Hill is excellent for dogs and humans, as the park to the east is superb. A huge factor this time of year is to allow your dog in the lake to swim, get thoroughly wet, and then walking distance is possible as he/she will keep cool, and with the lake there, dog can go back in anytime they're too hot. This is extremely important! Otherwise, do a short walk.

I know some twenty or more excellent walks using GO train to get there, but I need to know what kind of distance is apt.

My dog walks 10-15k a day. Maybe 6 to 8k for each walk.

I’m actually looking for urban environments. Both my dog and I enjoy the energy of cities and its people. I’m thinking Hamilton and some smaller towns with a busy downtown area.

I started a similar petition to VIA Rail to enable dog owners without cars to travel within the country with their furry family members.

Allow Leashed Dogs on VIA Rail
https://www.change.org/p/via-rail-a...re_petition&utm_term=share_twitter_responsive
https://www.change.org/p/via-rail-a...re_petition&utm_term=share_twitter_responsive
To my surprise, VIA already responded. They said that they’re looking to revise the rules if there’s enough interest. You know what to do: sign and spread the word please.

Back