8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

rpgr

Member Bio
Reaction score
Saw the "new" (more like refurbished) buses with the bike rack in the front.

It was the 85. The old buses seems to be phased out (didn't see one on the way to Don Mills).

They are hybrid buses like the Orions VII (I think, whatever they use for the 190) with a 4th "single seat" in the front/middle and a row of seats in the back (3 seats side by side on both sides facing towards the middle of the bus, rather than "couple seating" facing forward).

Yeah, this post is inane and stupid but whatever to wake up the transit board a bit.

Woke up this morning, got myself a gun....

Seriously, that is interesting news. It sounds like the new seat-style for the Orion VII shitboxes that may finally improve circulation.

The newest Orion VIIs are all supposed to come to TTC property with bike racks (all the 8000s are supposed to get them, but at most have the clamp installed, but not the rack). As well, there was a recent design change to reduce the boxiness of the look - did you notice this?

Did you manage to get a fleet number as well?

I'll fix the thread title as well for you.

Yeah, sorry, me no schpell so good and talky engrish is hard.

I'm not really much of a morning (ha! got that one right) person. Just noticed the bus, got a seat and went back to sleep.

I usually only start to wake up around 9:30-10:00. Till then my productivity is in the gutter. I only now realize I should have taken a picture.

This is the Next Generation Orion VII buses that will be on TO streets at some point.. I'm not sure if this current order is part of the new look ones.. but I think the ones coming next year will be.

2110919422_a64b3a008b.jpg

2110919434_0a564244cd.jpg

I personally think they'll be a HUGE improvement... some people think otherwise.

I think it looks pretty good. I'm curious about this new seat config, I'm skeptical about it helping.

I think it looks pretty good. I'm curious about this new seat config, I'm skeptical about it helping.

Unfortunately I don't think it does. You still have the 2 narrow steps that lead to the back doors like the current configuration and a narrow walkway. It improved the very back but not what was needed.

As an aside ... how do those bike racks work?

You pull it down and place the bike's wheels in the channels and a piece holds your front wheel to hold your bike up straight. It's very easy.

My car is in the shop, so decided to take transit for a couple of days.
I seriously hate this layout - if it's similar to the 'newer' Dufferin buses.

Capacity wise, absolutely horrendous. Talk about feeling like a sardine in a tin can. Absolutely no one ever stands at the back, past the two steps. So there's always a crowd near the middle....close to the doors. Considering the isle can be blocked with only one person standing back there - who can blame them.

As well, the second last row of seats, is it dedicated for midgets? There is probably 10 inches of leg space (being generous here).

I give it an overall F. I definitely look forward to taking my car again. If this is TTC's idea of winning transit users - they failed with me.

Unfortunately I don't think it does. You still have the 2 narrow steps that lead to the back doors like the current configuration and a narrow walkway. It improved the very back but not what was needed.

As an aside ... how do those bike racks work?

My car is in the shop, so decided to take transit for a couple of days.
I seriously hate this layout - if it's similar to the 'newer' Dufferin buses.

Capacity wise, absolutely horrendous. Talk about feeling like a sardine in a tin can. Absolutely no one ever stands at the back, past the two steps. So there's always a crowd near the middle....close to the doors. Considering the isle can be blocked with only one person standing back there - who can blame them.

As well, the second last row of seats, is it dedicated for midgets? There is probably 10 inches of leg space (being generous here).

I give it an overall F. I definitely look forward to taking my car again. If this is TTC's idea of winning transit users - they failed with me.

Can't win everybody over, but...

The NG VIIs bring that extra bit of style that has been lacking ever since the NewLook went out of production. They may not carry as many passengers, but they are accessible to people with limited mobility. Since they are given a lower loading standard than a high floor bus, the lower capacity won't be an issue in the long run.

Except that the buses have been replaced mostly on a one-to-one basis and that is largely why the buses are so overcrowded these days.

There's ways of improving accessibility, but most low-floor designs leave a lot to be desired. Plus low-floor buses seem to get much dirtier much quicker - as soon as one snowflake falls, the windows become barely translucent.

There has been an improvement since the first Orion VIIs (the 7400-7899 set) came out - on the 7900 series, the 8000 series and 1000-1149 series, the seats have since been spaced a bit better near the front, the rear doors close a bit quicker (the back doors on the older VIIs take forever to close). With the new seating configuration at the back, at least it sounds like, even if there isn't much extra standing room, all the seats will now be usable - the rows above the rear wheel wells were never set up properly.

With the new seating configuration at the back, at least it sounds like, even if there isn't much extra standing room, all the seats will now be usable - the rows above the rear wheel wells were never set up properly.

I would agree with this statement.

Back