8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

lowesthangingfruit

Member Bio
Reaction score
Just bought in at 801 King St W at a price I thought was somewhat "cheap". I think I now figured out why as I learned about the slaughter house nearby which was never disclosed to me (Oh well, buyer beware I guess). Just wondering how much of an issue is this and how much "stigmatization" this puts on the building for resale/rental purposes. Also, any other reason(s) that this building seems to sell at a "discount" relative to it's peers in the area ?? Any thoughts/comments ?? Thank you.

Sorry to tell you but on certain days it can get pretty smelly. The good news, from what I've heard, is that the owner of the slaughterhouse is actually looking to sell and is just waiting for the right price. They'll be condos on that land at some point: "The Slaughterhouse Lofts". Proximity to the slaughterhouse hasn't hurt the rest of the area based on the what units are going for. It's an annoyance, but people put up with the smell (on some days) because of the prime location close to the downtown core.

I would have thought being up at King would put enough of a distance between you and the abattoir. I know it can get pretty heady on Wellington, west of Bathurst, some days.

It all depends on wind direction, and the degree to which they open the place up for airing. With the right conditions, it can get pretty far. I've smelled the unmistakable cocktail of pigs' blood and feces at Queen and John on occasion... Welcome to Hogtown!

Thanks for feed back. PErsonally, I don't think I would care much (likeI know what I am talking about as I never lived there) as on the days it smells, I would just close the windows and crank up the AC. What I was more concerned about is the "perception" and how much this factor would "discount" the area relative to others. Don't know how to price in a slaughterhouse is what I am getting at I guess.

Also, does anyone know if the slaughter house land is owned or leased by the slaughterhouse company ??

Thanks for feed back. PErsonally, I don't think I would care much (likeI know what I am talking about as I never lived there) as on the days it smells, I would just close the windows and crank up the AC. What I was more concerned about is the "perception" and how much this factor would "discount" the area relative to others. Don't know how to price in a slaughterhouse is what I am getting at I guess.

Also, does anyone know if the slaughter house land is owned or leased by the slaughterhouse company ??

Either way, it's not likely to stay as an abattoir for much longer. I really don't think the "perception" of it will hurt the value of your unit much. I mean, you bought the place and aren't that concerned - odds are most sensible people would be in the same boat.

Do they all go to bed at the same time? Rise in unison? Nosh together?

Spill Shocker, spill.

PS I would have thought it more likely they lived at 888 King or some such.

There are some nice places on Niagara St but yes, people warned me to stay away due to pig smells. A friend got a great deal at Zed and he thinks big reason is because of the smell. Another friend told me they've been trying to close down the place since early 2000's but as you can see/smell it's still around now.

There are some nice places on Niagara St but yes, people warned me to stay away due to pig smells.

Yeah, I guess a few of these types still live there
comic_book_guy.gif

Back