40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

J

Jarrek

Ontario offers cash for solar power
Feb. 2, 2006. 12:41 PM
CANADIAN PRESS

The Ontario government will pay homeowners and businesses to produce solar power that they can pump into the province's electricity grid.

Energy Minister Donna Cansfield said today that her government is still working out details on the program, which will be announced later this month.

But the idea is to pay electricity users to transmit solar power that they're not using for a home or business into the grid.

Participants will only be able to contribute solar power worth 10 megawatts or less into the electricity system, however.

Cansfield says it's a small but encouraging way to get the public to help increase electricity supply.

A recent report warned that if new power isn't generated by 2013, the province's power system would be overwhelmed.

Very cool.

If we only have 50 homes giving 10 MW, then they won't have to build the generating station in the Portlands.

It's an interesting idea. I guess it all depends on how often the 10MW is. It will help but there still will be the constant strain on the hyrdo corridors. Hopefully enough will be in the 416 to help stop the Portlands proposal. Maybe this will help urge developers/condo associations to

Btw, does anyone know of any figures actually stating how many homes actually are run solely on solar power. I know of only one in Port Credit, but seen a lot with solar panels.

If we only have 50 homes giving 10 MW
The Ex is planning on plastering a few roofs with panels this year and they expect to come up with about 100kW for a $1M investment.

Somehow I don't see the 10MW limit being very restrictive.

2kW in panels is probably the limit for most home roofs and budgets.

oops.

how the heck didn't i see that this was already posted?

my bad. are my comments from the other thread totally gone?

It is utterly impossible to get 10 MW out of a house roof.

It would take thousands of houses to alleviate need for a new generating station.

It would take thousands of houses to alleviate need for a new generating station.

Yes, but someone could buy a cheap chunk of land somewhere, set up a bunch of panels, and make some money. :)

Plus whatever a homeowner produces that he/she doesn't use can be sold to the gov't... how attractive would this be coupled with a Better Buildings Program for homeowners, as I mentioned in the thread about Councillor Fletchers proposal.

10MW is a lot of electricity. the average home has a peak demand of around 5kW, so it would 2000 homes completely converting to dedicated solar to reduce demand by 10MW

God bless Stats Canada:

In 2001 there were 2,447,800 single-detached houses in Ontario. Suddenly 2,000 doesn't sound so outlandish.

Edit bonus: while I'm at it, apparently there are 12,375 "movable dwellings" in the province, for a total trailer-park population of 25,825

Back