News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

This is a funny thread, imo. It’s about parking in a forum that mostly wants parking to be curtailed through higher prices and limiting supply.

And the bolded is exactly why I made the thread.

So we can track movement on proper market pricing of parking, on-street, permitted and lots; redevelopment of green P lots into housing and parks; elimination of curbside spaces for Cycle Tracks, widened sidewalks and CafeTO space.

And the bolded is exactly why I made the thread.

So we can track movement on proper market pricing of parking, on-street, permitted and lots; redevelopment of green P lots into housing and parks; elimination of curbside spaces for Cycle Tracks, widened sidewalks and CafeTO space.
I'd like to see the end of on-street parking on main streets entirely, and instead build more Green P or private lots to support retail shoppers and visitors who drive, but the lots should go underground. That's what they do in Manhattan, where we find driving as easy as Toronto. The family and I have driven down to NYC several times and we normally stay near West 57th and between 5th and 8th Avenue, just south of Central Park, and there is tons of parking for cars everywhere, but all underground, with valet parking with elevators taking your car into some dungeon. Mind you, for short term parking this might be tricky - as we park the car for the week and never see it again until it's time to go home.

1000s.jpg

Last edited:
Good to see two reports coming to the next meeting of TEYCC which will shift a lot of on-street parking from free to paid.

The report above will convert 187 spaces from free to paid as per the below:

1707403282143.png

While this report: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2024/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-242851.pdf will result in a further 267 paid spaces.

In total 454 spaces will shift from free to paid.

The spaces in the above report are as follows:

1707403509359.png

1707403540868.png

A report to the next meeting of the Infrastructure and Environment Ctte will recommend very substantial increases in penalties for illegal parking.

Estimates have the City netting no less than 40M per year in new revenue (less this year, as the new fines would be effective August 1st, 2024, if approved by Council) ; revenue could be as high as 60M per year if the number of offenses did not decline.

In general, the minimum parking ticket will rise to $75

But there are some higher fines proposed as well.

Standing in rush hour, where prohibited ($125)

Parking w/i 3M of a Fire Hydrant ($125)

Stopping in rush hour, where prohibited ($175)

Standing your vehicle in a Transit Zone ($200)

Stop on/over sidewalk ($200)

Park on Sidewalk or Bikepath ($200)

And a bunch more.

The proposal would raise penalties for 123 listed offenses.

Becky Robertson over at BlogTO quoting info on the least used/lowest revenue parking lots on the City from Matt Elliot publishes a list that's not exactly revelatory:

There's nothing wrong w/Matt's Chart, its fine, but the interpretation that these lots are the most likely to become housing is more than a bit suspect:

1711559570829.png

Lets review shall we:

2225 Lakeshore Blvd West is actually the parking lot for Humber Bay Park West. LOL. Zero chance of housing here. If the lot is under utilized overall, it will shrink in favour of more greenspace. However, I suspect the problem is that the parking lot is fully subscribed on summer weekends, empty much of the winter, and maybe 1/4 full on an average weekday in the summer/shoulder season.

The Princes Blvd and British Columbia sites are both on the Ex grounds. (as are the Nunavet, Ontario, Saskatchewan and Prince Edward Island and Manitoba sites); worth saying, these are all CNE-owned sites, not Green P owned. Yes, they could be repurposed, but they are a long way from being housing.

720 Lakeshore Blvd W is destined to become park space.

800 Fleet may have possibilities..........but, for reasons I can't share just yet, that site is stasis.

2450 Lawrence East is the parking for the Lawrence East SRT Station. I wonder why it might be mostly empty, LOL Its located under the Lawrence Avenue underpass and will not be housing.

Grangeway is the first of these sites actually destined for housing under the Housing Now program, 2700 Eglinton W and 705 Warden (Warden Station) are destined for same)

Not sure about Keele

Shuter is the Moss Park TCHC site, and that parking directly at that address is not buildable w/o tearing down the adjacent TCHC building.

The Steeles West site is in York Region. (beside Pioneer Village Station)

115 Unwin is a Parks site (existing) serving the Cherry Beach Sports Fields. (no housing going here)

All in all, a pretty laughably bad piece even by BlogTO standards.

Back