News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

It would be nice to get something on the Green P parking on the other side of Yonge.

That site is already set to be developed.

This is the thread:

It does include a modest amount of new parkland. But nothing you're putting a sports field on.

The parking lot at Perth and Sterling is being torn up to make way for the Junction Triangle’s newest park.

Taken 4 December.

IMG_5522.jpeg
IMG_5523.jpeg

I am wondering if UT ever considered having a different section for Parks / Public Realm and Open Space on the Forum ?.

The list of Parks, streetscape / public realm improvements and upgrade threads is becoming really big (from Waterfront TO parks, Don River Park, Toronto Island Park Revitalization, Dundas Sq, Love Park, Victoria Sq., 229 Richmond, Lower Don Lands, Yonge Tomorrow, UofT's Legacy Project ...etc etc etc... etc are scattered all over the Forum in the "Buildings", "Transportation" and "Design and Architectural Style" sections.

I believe that:

A) It is telling that we don't consider Parks, Open Spaces, and the Public Realm worthy / valuable of having their own section on the Forum and, as such, deemed secondary... They are not "buildings" nor "transportation";

B) We should increase the visibility of Parks, Open Spaces, and the Public Realm so that more people are aware of the conversation around important public assets and become more engaged in advocating for them.

I welcome your thoughts.

I am wondering if UT ever considered having a different section for Parks / Public Realm and Open Space on the Forum ?.

The list of Parks, streetscape / public realm improvements and upgrade threads is becoming really big (from Waterfront TO parks, Don River Park, Toronto Island Park Revitalization, Dundas Sq, Love Park, Victoria Sq., 229 Richmond, Lower Don Lands, Yonge Tomorrow, UofT's Legacy Project ...etc etc etc... etc are scattered all over the Forum in the "Buildings", "Transportation" and "Design and Architectural Style" sections.

I believe that:

A) It is telling that we don't consider Parks, Open Spaces, and the Public Realm worthy / valuable of having their own section on the Forum and, as such, deemed secondary... They are not "buildings" nor "transportation";

B) We should increase the visibility of Parks, Open Spaces, and the Public Realm so that more people are aware of the conversation around important public assets and become more engaged in advocating for them.

I welcome your thoughts.

There's certainly a case to be made for that. You should expressly submit that for UT's management to consider.

Little update on parks in the Sterling Road area. The first is at the northwest corner of Perth and Sterling and has been levelled after utilities were installed. Secondly is a shout-out to how great Sterling Green is going to be in the Spring and Summer! Surrounded by retail with openable windows I hope there are going to be patios and/or fun outdoor seating. It is also really well connected to the West Toronto Railpath and will become a welcoming extension of it.

IMG_6711.jpeg

IMG_6712.jpeg
IMG_6715.jpeg
IMG_6716.jpeg

Examining the Budget, this parks related matter got my attention:

1707685102253.png

The columns are 2024, 2025 and 2026 respectively.

That's a healthy closing balance.

There's also this batch of funds:

1707685221261.png

1707685248855.png

There's also myriad smaller funds, some well and truly useless......

ie.Parkland Acquisition former City of York $5,000 balance. That's not a spendable sum..............sigh. Since no new money will ever go into that fund, a legal basis needs to be found to close it out and consolidate it with other like funds.

But I digress. The larger pots of money have just a bit under 500M available.

Paler Street Park improvements. Taken 6 March.

IMG_8201.jpeg

IMG_8261.png

Councillor Saxe has a motion before next week's Council meeting to endorse improvements for Paul Martel Park (the one behind Spadina Station).

1710513449489.png

I'm not entirely sure about the 'Indigenous Botanical Garden' for the simple reason no definition of such a thing has been given.

But I do like the proposal for improving soil quality, for taking measures to prevent the trampling of plants, and for a public washroom.

Last edited:
Councillor Saxe has a motion before next week's Council meeting to endorse improvements for Paul Martel Park (the one behind Spadina Station).

View attachment 548446

I'm not entirely sure about the 'Indigenous Botanical Garden' for the simple reason no definition of such a thing has been given.

But I do like the proposal improving soil quality, for taking measures to prevent the trampling of plants, and for a public washroom.

Great to see the addition of a new public washroom. When was the last time a park of this size received a new public washroom?

Back