40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

3Dementia

Member Bio
Reaction score
Mods:

RE: drum118 and other photographers

I would like to suggest an informal policy regarding photo sizes, particularly for those forumers who post many shots in many threads.

For example, I sent this "polite" PM to drum118 that was not read (or perhaps ignored) suggesting that he/she post photos at web resolution to avoid clogging threads for slower connections.

Each one of drum's photos file size is anywhere from 600k or 700k to a meg in size, despite the modest viewing size so a post of half a dozen shots is in excess of 5 megs (often much more).

These photos can be posted at less than 150k each without losing any discernable viewing quality. Note: I just resaved a 750k drum118 photo of the Ritz (recently posted) at proper web res and the resulting file was only 120k... and the photos look identical.

Obviously these photo archiving efforts are to be applauded and welcomed, but there's no need to clog threads or waste bandwidth by posting photos that are 6 or 7 times larger (file size) than they need to be for viewing screen resolution.

Thanks.

See my PM below:

Hi drum:

First, thanks for all the terrific work you do archiving the changes (new construction) in our city.... really terrific photos.

But there are still a number of slow connection speeds out there and some members can't access a thread when you post multiple pics due to the file size of the pics you post.

YEach one of your photos are often nearly 700k, 800k or even greater in file size, so a post of 10 pics could be nearly 7 or 8 megs in size ... virtually impossible to download with slower connections.

Without changing the physical size of any of your photos, if each one was optimized for the web they each would be no more than 200k or even smaller (file size)... so less than a quarter the file size of the present posts.

At 72 dpi (screen resolution) a 200k version of a photo looks identical to an 800k version... no detail is lost... and photos are the same physical size.

I often travel to the country on weekends and can't see your pics... or even access a particular thread as the pics are slowly loading.

Hoping you can help out by posting web optimized photos that don't clog up threads. No photo needs to be more than 200k and viewing size will remain the same.

Thanks again for all your hard work.

3Dementia

I love the photos and they are usually very informative but one copy is enough! Is there a way to AUTOMATICALLY stop them being resent with Replies? (or at least only resent if the replier does something to include them.)

I try to delete them from the "QUOTE" if I remember but some, great, photos get 'quoted' repeatedly.

I have been removing quoted images from posts that immediately follow original posts, and will continue to do so, although I wish I did not have to. Members should follow DSC's example above.

I support 3D's call for optimized 72dpi image files: waiting for unnecessarily large images to load is a huge pain, and potentially expensive for some members.

I try to get my photos down to a 200-400kb .jpg file size plus, thanks to a great suggestion (and instructions) from casaguy last winter I post all of my photos as small clickable thumbnail images.

Is this appropriate?

DT: in lieu of having software (and knowledge) to web optimize photos, using thumbnails is a terrific alternative. I'm pretty sure only the "thumb" loads and then surfers can decide whether or not to click and download.

It's the perfect solution to 10 large photo posts... thanks!

DT: in lieu of having software (and knowledge) to web optimize photos, using thumbnails is a terrific alternative. I'm pretty sure only the "thumb" loads and then surfers can decide whether or not to click and download.

It's the perfect solution to 10 large photo posts... thanks!

Great, thanks for the input 3D, that's also what casaguy said. I'm glad the thumbs are a workable alternative. :)

Back