News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.3K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

This is exactly why condo boards often have strict rules about what is displayed in windows and on the balcony. That doesn't really seem that bad considering there are other buildings where almost every balcony is being used as a storage area.

Buildings with this much balcony transparency will look messy even with relatively strict rules on what's allowed to be kept on the balcony. To truly achieve a clean look, the condo board would have to stipulate that everyone buy the same kind of balcony furniture and place it in similar ways.

I still like the building, but architects should always take this issue into consideration when designing a building and think twice about full transparency on balconies.

I like it. Cities are messy and full of people doing their own thing. Do we really want our city to look like a sterile computer rendering of a city? This is "lived" space.

I like it. Cities are messy and full of people doing their own thing. Do we really want our city to look like a sterile computer rendering of a city? This is "lived" space.

I like a degree of aesthetic control ordering the mess. The best cities are clean with attractive architecture framing people's messy lives. Let the mess be figurative, not literal.

How is this different than the mess of Kensington market? Kensington market also looks like it's in a third world country and that's what makes it so attractive.

How is this different than the mess of Kensington market? Kensington market also looks like it's in a third world country and that's what makes it so attractive.

The appeal of Kensington Market is more about what's sold there than the aesthetics. If it were a bunch of chain stores in that messy environment, people would avoid it.

I'm pretty sure the actual products on sale are not the only reason why Kensington market is constantly filled with people sitting on the curbs or generally milling about. If you replaced all of the hanging electrical wires, graffiti, dilapidated sheds, and poster-covered lampposts with sleek, spotless buildings, the market would quickly loose its appeal. Of course this is just my own opinion and I'm assuming that it is shared by many other people. I have no way to prove it. But if people really don't like the filthy aesthetic of Kensington market, they definitely show high tolerance of it when they go to buy random pieces of fruit or cheese.

Back