News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.3K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

but it was much better back in the day. Far too corporate and sterile now. I think the nail in the coffin was the demolition of the old CNE Grandstand. Also its disappointing that many of the heritage type buildings at the west end of the grounds are no longer part of The Ex. For some reason I still go every year even though I know I'll feel disappointed at the end of the day.

If they ever start erecting condos on the CNE grounds surely an aA designed Bulova Tower knock off--sorry, homage--would be a no brainer.

Notice there are no condo apartment buildings in that view. I like the peek of a luminous New City Hall when it was still pretty new, before they let the staff open the curtains.

but it was much better back in the day. Far too corporate and sterile now. I think the nail in the coffin was the demolition of the old CNE Grandstand. Also it's disappointing that many of the heritage type buildings at the west end of the grounds are no longer part of The Ex. For some reason I still go every year even though I know I'll feel disappointed at the end of the day.

I feel the same way. Whenever I go, I think back to what the Ex used to be and I'm so disappointed. They took down all the larger, permanent attractions and replaced them with nothing. The buildings have all become flea markets for cheap crap. All the west side buildings are rented to private businesses, taking away access to the general public. It's clear the CNE board of directors don't consider the CNE a priority. I wouldn't be surprised if their intention is to close it down and just give it all over to business interests. I blame Joey Pants, which is why I would never even consider voting for him.

Yup. The CNE is a pale shadow of its former self. And I truly miss that tower and alphine cable ride across the grounds. Damn, those were fun times.

I agree with a few of the previous posts. The "Ex" lost its charm with the Shell (late rBulova) Tower, Grandstand, and the roller coaster. All these were sacrificed for a weekend of motor racing. I cannot imagine going down to the C.N.E. without a beverage at the Stoodleigh or Nobets, which were casualties of the stadium's destruction. Additionally, attendance must be suffering in part due to the loss of the sports and concerts that the Grandstand offered. Remember that Chicago, the Guess Who, and the Hell Drivers always packed them in (no accounting...).

As a kid, I remember going to the CNE for just about everything new. New automobiles at the AVTOMOTIVE building, new electronics and appliances at the BETTER LIVING CENTER, plants at HORTICULTURAL building, arts and crafts at the ARTS AND CRAFTS building (now Medieval Times), Ontario exhibits at the ONTARIO GOVERNMENT Building, the INTERNATIONAL building, the SHELL/BULOVA tower, the FLYER, etc. And of course, the GRANDSTAND and its shows.

At the Dufferin Gates, you no longer enter the CNE. Instead, you have to walk down to Saskatchewan Road to enter. The CNE is now east of Dufferin Street. I think it started going down when Exhibition Park was changed to Exhibition Place.

The problem today is Trade Shows. They broke away from the CNE to form separate shows of their own. There was a time that the new automobile models would be shown at the Automotive building at the CNE. Now they have a separate show at a different venue and time of year. Other parts of the CNE were moved into the Direct Energy Centre. They should return some of the trade shows during the CNE, even if they have to only do part time and not the whole 18 or so days.

Why are there no grandstand shows at BMO field? If they are going to enlarge BMO field, allow the return of the grandstand stage back to the CNE.

Last edited:

Back