News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

^They won't

What should be done:

All neighbourhoods need a Main Street with shopping, restaurants a grocery store and a movie theatre. With radiating streets of residential (Condos).

What will be done:

Block after block of 12 story buildings on 3 story podiia.

^They won't

What should be done:

All neighbourhoods need a Main Street with shopping, restaurants a grocery store and a movie theatre. With radiating streets of residential (Condos).

What will be done:

Block after block of 12 story buildings on 3 story podiia.

Right, so only one street has heavy foot traffic? They should continue the grid system here - it may be "boring" but it's incredibly easy to plan out and efficient for pedestrians if the blocks are small. The whole "single street with everything on it surrounded by a canyon of highrises" idea seems a little dated, in my opinion. Sure, Europe and other (planned and unplanned) cities around the world have a central square with the city built around them, but these cities also feature stores on street level outside of the square resulting in people on many of the streets instead of just in the square or 'main street'.

Let's all just hope they don't botch it, though... they've dropped the ball a bunch of times in the past.

what a great photo, even if it is more than a year old!

re: West Donlands development... I think by the very fact that the whole thing is set to be developed within the next 5 years that it will feel somewhat sterile and contrived rather than organic. That is a huge chunk of wasteland that will soon be converted to a living part of the city, lets hope for the best.

From my research, they want to do a lot of good things here. But that was from a 15-20 year time-line, the design and effort will probably change because of the Pan Am time-line.

I am excited to see the first North American Woonerf though.

A very large area indeed!

Back