Hi: Great start to this new neighbourhood and fairly well used! Even had time for a quick nap on the lounger on ‘the beach!’ Taken 4 June. View attachment 482770View attachment 482771View attachment 482772View attachment 482773View attachment 482774View attachment 482775View attachment 482776View attachment 482777

True Story, Montreal managed to make a better urban park at a highway off ramp using the same jungle-gym materials found at this Pier 8 Promenade (though it’s not pictured in this post).

Check out the Air de Jeu au Parc Bonaventure in Montreal to see how that city made a better off-ramp park than Hamilton did a ‘landmark’ Promenade:

Also not pictured in the quoted post is the copious amount of blacktop laid instead of the planned pavers.

Hamilton City Council cut $11.5 Million from the promenade’s budget and it rrreeeaalllyyy shows!

Clear Eyes Collective have begun painting a street mural at Pier 8 as part of Concrete Canvas Festival.
F9E3619A-30B4-4ABE-A48E-547F5FDA231A.png

E6EC6CE4-0F3E-4D7B-8BF7-F8B78E1BF3D5.png

Their Instagram should have more photos over the coming days:

While not technically part of Pier 8, it's an extension of the public space the abuts the Pier 8 redevelopment. The indigenous art is being installed at the square footing James St N, to be unveiled on Sep 30 Truth & Reconciliation day:

View attachment 509295View attachment 509296
I row at the boat club down there, and seeing all this coming together makes me really excited for the future of Hamilton's waterfront (although frankly not for the traffic, lol)

I row at the boat club down there, and seeing all this coming together makes me really excited for the future of Hamilton's waterfront (although frankly not for the traffic, lol)

Love the stairs and public art installation!

I’m worried about the retail/commercial structures…. Hopefully the designs have evolved past the 1990s Retirement Village style.

pier5-7-boutique-hotel-illustration-1-INSIDE-mainweb-1024x576.jpg

(https://canada.constructconnect.com...-work-opportunities-piers-5-7-hhca-crowd-told)

One flaw I’ve noticed is the bike tire tracks all over the ‘boardwalk’ portions. Wonder if they’ll fix that or leave it.

I’m worried about the retail/commercial structures…. Hopefully the designs have evolved past the 1990s Retirement Village style.

One flaw I’ve noticed is the bike tire tracks all over the ‘boardwalk’ portions. Wonder if they’ll fix that or leave it.
I can imagine they'll just leave the bike tracks to mother nature, but considering the amount of money and effort going into everything else who knows. I'm pretty sure that was just a temporary bypass, though.

pier5-7-boutique-hotel-illustration-1-INSIDE-mainweb-1024x576.jpg

(https://canada.constructconnect.com...-work-opportunities-piers-5-7-hhca-crowd-told)

I think it's a bit related to the render quality, but I believe they were looking to have a nautical-esque theme. I hope they look to Halifax's waterfront for inspiration. I absolutely adored their waterfront.

Also considering this is Hamilton, I don't expect these buildings to start for at least a half decade or more. There has been apparently zero interest in anyone building them, in large part likely because the city is facilitating the process.

The building is too small to be profitable, generally.
I could see it being a few floors taller. My understanding is that these were supposed to be essentially hotels of sorts. I also imagine the retail space may be hard to fill with a lack of pedestrian traffic prior to Pier 8's start/completion.

Here’s the City’s official renders on YouTube.
From 5 years ago, not 25…

I could see it being a few floors taller. My understanding is that these were supposed to be essentially hotels of sorts. I also imagine the retail space may be hard to fill with a lack of pedestrian traffic prior to Pier 8's start/completion.

The mistake that is Piers 5-7, and potential mistake at Pier 8, stems from the City/Staff’s archaic 1950s belief that people don’t want shops and residences mixed.

This plan as is has the ‘retail’ portion concentrated at Piers 5-7, with residential concentrated at Pier 8 (albeit with a corner store or dry cleaner here and there).

This is exactly the same as building a big box plaza on one side of an arterial road (ie: Golf Links Rd), and residential on the other side.

The only difference being fewer cars.

That’s not how cities work… traditionally speaking.

The nautical theme is a pretty clear copy of Halifax:

1000000897.jpg
1000000898.jpg

But the buildings could also be a bit more substantial like the new office building:
1000000899.jpg

The new office blends seamlessly despite being modern feels like a premium addition:

1000000900.jpg
1000000903.jpg

Back