But I mean is that different than the other tables also on Pier 8? For simplicity of the order they may have just purchased 10 of the same table rather than 9 of one version and 1 with 4 sides.

Could also be a spot to place a stroller with a child. I don't think this is an egregious and purposely limiting addition.

The table directly west of this one has four benches. I don’t have my own photo, but you can see it in the Google maps photos if you click on Promenade Park.

It appears the tables and benches in the other parts of the promenade are wooden, though they have the same orange umbrellas’.

The table directly west of this one has four benches. I don’t have my own photo, but you can see it in the Google maps photos if you click on Promenade Park.

It appears the tables and benches in the other parts of the promenade are wooden, though they have the same orange umbrellas’.
I haven't been down in a while. Honestly the city just makes a lot of simple mistakes, this is likely just that.

I haven't been down in a while. Honestly the city just makes a lot of simple mistakes, this is likely just that.

Having spent enough time folks with mobility issues, I tend to notice these things.

One thing I can’t stand is when plazas put up fences around their perimeter to block off the abutting residential area. Then continuously replace them when residents tear them down.

They do it to ‘prevent loss’, but those removed sections of fence are used by people who for whatever reason can’t walk several hundred meters around a block just to access the plaza from the main street.

It’s the little things.

The best example of a desire path into a plaza in Hamilton that I can think of is the Highgate-Fortinos Path in Upper Stoney Creek.

Take a look at its evolution from 2012-2022:

IMG_4012.jpeg
IMG_4013.jpeg
IMG_4014.jpeg
IMG_4015.jpeg

Allowing developers to build like this puts their tenants’ profit maximization over the needs and realities of the locals.

If this desire path didn’t exist, residents would be forced to walk a meandering route that takes three times as long.

IMG_4018.jpeg

It’s no wonder they spent a decade tearing down that fence!

The City needs to get its act together, mistakes like these are unacceptable.

The best example of a desire path into a plaza in Hamilton that I can think of is the Highgate-Fortinos Path in Upper Stoney Creek.

Take a look at its evolution from 2012-2022:

View attachment 514419View attachment 514417View attachment 514416View attachment 514415

Allowing developers to build like this puts their tenants’ profit maximization over the needs and realities of the locals.

If this desire path didn’t exist, residents would be forced to walk a meandering route that takes three times as long.

View attachment 514423

It’s no wonder they spent a decade tearing down that fence!

The City needs to get its act together, mistakes like these are unacceptable.
I agree quite heavily actually. Most cities I’ve been to in southern Ontario have desire paths mostly sorted out. It’s one of the saving graces that our suburbs usually have. I’ve encountered countless areas in Hamilton where there is no desire path simply because it seems no one planned for one.

My first experience was trying to get to the new No Frills at Sherman/Rymal from the neighbourhood behind it.

I agree quite heavily actually. Most cities I’ve been to in southern Ontario have desire paths mostly sorted out. It’s one of the saving graces that our suburbs usually have. I’ve encountered countless areas in Hamilton where there is no desire path simply because it seems no one planned for one.

My first experience was trying to get to the new No Frills at Sherman/Rymal from the neighbourhood behind it.

City Planners have been obsessed with trying to engineer Hamiltonians’ transportation habits since the 1950s, and somehow, 80 years later, they still haven’t realized it doesn’t work.

They just keep spending their time and our money re-sodding or installing a fence or whatever.

Such a great debate while we all wait for developer to actaully get some presales started. Given the award in '21 that is a whole bunch of wasted opportunity . At very best we wont see residents moving into anyone of the blocks until 2027. So incredibly slow , and we still have to move along a drawn out process to get to approval of the signature tower at 45 storeys . So out of place and honetstly why not just spread the units across the wider site .

Some new info from the West Harbour Development sub-committee. I might take some time to summarize later, but this is info on the last three elements of the city's portion, including the "village", the bridge to complete the boardwalk, and the main park entering to Pier 8. Didn't see any info on the actual condo developments though.
Screenshot_20231101-183700.png

Some new info from the West Harbour Development sub-committee. I might take some time to summarize later, but this is info on the last three elements of the city's portion, including the "village", the bridge to complete the boardwalk, and the main park entering to Pier 8. Didn't see any info on the actual condo developments though.
View attachment 517085

They could have started pre sales two years ago, what a waste of opportunity , or maybe just delayed gratification

Back