5.2K     0 

A

AlvinofDiaspar

From the Globe:

Toronto mayoral candidate Pitfield takes aim at high-rises
'We have gone condo crazy,' councillor says in speech to campaign supporters

JENNIFER LEWINGTON

From Thursday's Globe and Mail

Mayoral contender Jane Pitfield says she would let local neighbourhoods decide the height and size of condos -- and perhaps have all the tall buildings south of Bloor Street.

"We have gone condo crazy," said the Don Valley West councillor, who last night notched up her campaign to unseat Mayor David Miller on Nov. 13.

"It would be pretty basic," she said of her city planning philosophy. "Maybe north of Bloor wouldn't have anything over a certain height."

Ms. Pitfield's views on intensification and development -- last week she opposed a Four Seasons high-rise hotel in Yorkville endorsed by Mr. Miller -- are among several ways she hopes to differentiate herself from the incumbent.

She said she is giving up her ward seat, one she has won handily in successive elections, because, she argues, the city is in decline.

Last night, in her first major public event since filing for the mayoral race in January, Ms. Pitfield announced a two-month "listening tour" to hear from residents.

Her official campaign launch is set for September, when she will announce a detailed platform.

She used last night's event to take several sharp jabs at Mr. Miller.

"David Miller has to go," she told about 125 supporters at a Thorncliffe Park banquet hall. "There is no direction, no focus and no vision," she said, charging his "NDP agenda" is too downtown-focused and fails to stand up for established neighbourhoods and taxpayers.

Although 16 contenders have lined up so far against the mayor, Ms. Pitfield is regarded as the only serious challenger. But, even among her potential supporters on the right, she is seen as facing an uphill campaign to unseat a mayor who still enjoys high favourability ratings.

But her strategy, like that of right-leaning mayoral candidate John Tory in 2003, is to woo voters in the inner suburbs of Scarborough, North York and Etobicoke. In 2003, Mr. Tory (now Ontario Conservative Leader) chased Mr. Miller to a credible second-place finish.

"We are overtaxed and Toronto is badly managed," she told supporters. "And our city has lost its focus on some critical business needs: job creation, industrial renewal and more research and development."

But it is the development issue that has some residents in some areas exercised. The city's proposed official plan sets out broad principles for the location of tall buildings, such as on major arteries and along subway and transit lines, but there are no hard and fast rules for the size and density of buildings, with the final design the result of discussions with area residents, city planners and politicians.

Earlier, in an interview with Ms. Pitfield, the 51-year old married mother of four spelled out her position on issues she hopes will resonate. She said more power should be put in the hands of neighbourhoods, potentially with council as a whole having no say in the final decision.

"We can't allow professional planners to decide that they know what is best," she said. "We should know who we are here to serve, the people who elected us."

Ms. Pitfield also paints herself as an alternative to Mr. Miller on ways to end the city's current reliance on shipping its garbage to Michigan, under a long-term contract.

She says all options should be discussed, including controversial new technologies -- essentially cleaner forms of burning waste -- that some view as too costly and too environmentally risky.

Mr. Miller is on record as opposed to incineration in any form, arguing instead for more aggressive recycling to reduce waste sent to landfills.

Last night, Ms. Pitfield identified several people who have joined her campaign as advisers. They include former top Canadian Olympic committee official Paul Henderson and Paul Oliver, who ran Barbara Hall's unsuccessful bid for mayor in 2003.

She is obviously taking a page from Karen Stintz on the matter, pandering to priviledged NIMBYies while masquerading as the "defender of the neighbourhood". Solution - dump all tall buildings south of Bloor!

That sound as legit as her campaign for the job.

AoD

We can't allow professional planners to decide that they know what is best

Dumbest quote i've ever heard. There is a reason why they are professionals. With someone like you in office how about we just change the name of our city to Houston II.

The sad thing is that I bet she'll have a strong showing using this message. I think all Miller has to do is show how much development is going on in the city and how much has started since he's been in office.

She was responsible for demolishing a row of 2-3 story street fronting retail buildings for a parking lot on Bayview. It was dubbed "Pitfields Parking Lot". I have never seen the lot more than half full.

Nothing tall north of Bloor? Yeah, let's raze all the towers at NYCC and Yonge and Eglinton... and let's cancel Quantum before it hits street level. And opposing Four Seasons? The very project that could have the most positive impact on Yorkville in decades? She doesn't sound too bright or thoughtful... I know who I'd vote for...

The mayorlty campaign should be interesting to watch. We now have 2 candidates with fundamental differences how the city should be run and look. Unfortunately, we are going to see a greater divide between downtown and the suburbs. Current mayor and council have done very little to suburban folks and focused much of their attention on downtown issues. I fear a suburban lead mayor and council will be devastating to downtown. I hope Pitfield, located in East York, can bridge those differences and bring a new vision that will benefit all Torontonians.

These days, Pitfield pops up wherever she thinks she can scrape together a few votes. She was at the top of the City Hall ramp on Sunday morning, droning on to the assembled Vietnamese about how important it was to fly their flag somewhere or other.

Babel, meanwhile, had more pressing concerns - he was downstairs in the Square, getting a free buffet lunch courtesy of the Sikhs. Lovely people.

I don't like Pitfield, but...

Dumbest quote i've ever heard. There is a reason why they are professionals.

If it was up to the "professionals", we'd have expressways all over the city. They don't always know what's best.

It's the people who live in the neighbourhoods who know the most about them... what's good, what's bad...

There should be more community influence in decisions to make livable, sustainable neighbourhoods WHILE increasing density. It's not an either/or situation.

Quick, somebody find out how she voted on the Minto project at Yonge and Eglinton.

It's the people who live in the neighbourhoods who know the most about them... what's good, what's bad...
Not really. Many in the neighbourhood might notice the symptoms but very few will be aware of the causes. There is a loud group on St. Clair that demonstrated this quite well.

Secondly, concern over individual properties trumps the greater good. If it wasn't enforced, many would eliminate fire hydrants, telephone boxes and other utilities from their yards. Of course, their neighbours will not take them either.

There are things that nobody wants that someone has to have.

This leads me to my final point that taxes are flat. The tax rate is applied to the value of the home regardless of the cost of infrastructure required to serve the home.

If you can dramatically reduce service usage in North York, people in Etobicoke get a tax break. Why would anybody in Etobicoke volunteer to reduce their infrastructure requirements (on a per capita basis) when they can receive the benefits of somebody else doing it? Since there is no direct benefit, nobody is willing to improve the situation.

Demands to reduce taxes are very strong provided the solution impacts the other guy.

Jay,

Pittedfield would also be against professional engineers designing our bridges and planes. Oh, we don't want professional doctors. Let me get out my dremel tool and a bottle of scotch and work on that absessed tooth.

THe problem is nto the "professional planner" but the lack of vision and consistency from the municiple leaders. That is why there is an OMB.

Yeah i agree about all that. Just don't think she's got the right to tell city planners that their jobs aren't pointless. These people are professionals and aren't simply a bunch of monkeys going over planning documents with giant approval stamps.

Its so funny watch the news lately in the past 6 months because she's always at these events just trying to get votes. It's a bit like the friend that nobody likes who shows up at every single thing trying to fit into the crowd. It's looking a bit tired and desperate.

Oh yeah. Did anyone read the article about her today in the national post? She blames Miller for having a secret agenda regarding Tearing down the gardiner expressway. She supports keeping it up and while Mr Miller wants to tear it down to make way for waterfront development. Oh no!

I heard a very interesting point made about city council the other day. Mid- and highrise condo living is going to be the way of the future in this city whether we like it or not due to land restriction. Most young people who are not yet in the housing market will likely live in a condo before a detached home and may never even live in a detached home at all in their lifetime.

In fact, there is a time coming when condo units will outnumber detached homes.

If this is true, we need decisions to be made now that address the concerns of highrise dwellers and generally people who live downtown.

How many city councillors live downtown in highrises? My guess is very few if any. They live in detached residential communities like High Park and such. It could be argued that they will always pander to people in those types of neighbourhoods.

As much as we love high-rises, you gotta admit something. Not one neighbourhood in Toronto that is famous and people like to hang out in, is high-rise. Annex, Beaches, Queen Street, Yonge Street, College Street, Danforth. All are lowrise.

Maybe we should not be against high-rises, but push for better designs. Because the ones going up now are not building anykind of great neighbourhoods.

I put it to you that Church Street is famous, people like to hang out in it, and most residents are housed in high rises. Ditto St. Lawrence Market.

Back