8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

izomax

Member Bio
Reaction score
I am a newbie looking to buy a pre-construction condo and I have some questions:

1. Do developers normally require that you get mortgage prior to signing contract?

2. Do developers require financial proof that you have enough deposit (15%~25%) prior to signing contract?

3. Is the closing date same as "interim" occupancy date or after official registration? At what point in time do I start paying my mortgage?

4. Should I get an real estate agent at all? What are the pros and cons?

Thanks!

I am a newbie looking to buy a pre-construction condo and I have some questions:

1. Do developers normally require that you get mortgage prior to signing contract?

2. Do developers require financial proof that you have enough deposit (15%~25%) prior to signing contract?

3. Is the closing date same as "interim" occupancy date or after official registration? At what point in time do I start paying my mortgage?

Thanks!

1. Assuming that by contract you mean purchase agreement, IF yes then the answer is No. You will however require a pre-approval from a bank which will be used by the builder to determine your ability to own a condo at the first place.

2. Pre-Approval should do. they will how ever in most cases ask you to deposit post dated cheques in advance. They usually would never ask for any financial proof as regardless your conditions might not be the same as it is today. the payout periods are defined and structured in a way where buyer has time to arrange money for down payment installments and it would not make any sense for me to show a builder now that i have money to pay for the sceond installment thats due lets say 60 days from now.

3. Interim occupancy would happen before registration. this means that you will live in your own condo and pay phantom rent until the building registers after which you will start paying your mortgage. the total time from interim occupancy to mortgage kick off can vary and take between1 - 12 months and even more in some cases.

4. would be nice to have one especially if you are new to the home buying game. make sure you gett a dependable agent, who is more on your side and not a typical sales guru !

Thanks for the answers, just another one:

When making deposit to builders, should it be held in trust or something? What if the developer goes broke? How do I protect myself from that?

Thanks for the answers, just another one:

When making deposit to builders, should it be held in trust or something? What if the developer goes broke? How do I protect myself from that?

You should speak to your lawyer about this (or, any lawyers on the site want to speak up?), but as far as I understand it (and, I am not a lawyer)...

As per the Condo Act, the lawyer for the property owner must hold the deposits (and interest) in a trust account in case the deal falls through. Thus, if the "developer goes broke", your deposits are save. You should also ask you lawyer about monies paid for upgrades, as this may be a different situation.

iSlutsky

1. Assuming that by contract you mean purchase agreement, IF yes then the answer is No. You will however require a pre-approval from a bank which will be used by the builder to determine your ability to own a condo at the first place.

2. Pre-Approval should do. they will how ever in most cases ask you to deposit post dated cheques in advance. They usually would never ask for any financial proof as regardless your conditions might not be the same as it is today. the payout periods are defined and structured in a way where buyer has time to arrange money for down payment installments and it would not make any sense for me to show a builder now that i have money to pay for the sceond installment thats due lets say 60 days from now.

3. Interim occupancy would happen before registration. this means that you will live in your own condo and pay phantom rent until the building registers after which you will start paying your mortgage. the total time from interim occupancy to mortgage kick off can vary and take between1 - 12 months and even more in some cases.

4. would be nice to have one especially if you are new to the home buying game. make sure you gett a dependable agent, who is more on your side and not a typical sales guru !

Can I just followup to question 3? I was told interim closing we would need to pay 10%, but I gather this is not the same as interim occupancy? If we are able to move in before registration, what exactly is this "phantom rent"? Does this mean you don't have to start to pay your mortgage or your condo fees? I am worried that if we are the first ones to move in there will be little to no amenities for quite a while. Isn't it a big ripoff to be paying the condo fees right from the beginning? Would we be able to argue that if we don't have the full amenities at time of move in then we should have to pay the full condo fees? Thanks.

Can I just followup to question 3? I was told interim closing we would need to pay 10%, but I gather this is not the same as interim occupancy? If we are able to move in before registration, what exactly is this "phantom rent"? Does this mean you don't have to start to pay your mortgage or your condo fees? I am worried that if we are the first ones to move in there will be little to no amenities for quite a while. Isn't it a big ripoff to be paying the condo fees right from the beginning? Would we be able to argue that if we don't have the full amenities at time of move in then we should have to pay the full condo fees? Thanks.

I would ask your lawyer, but here is the jist of the situation...

The Condominium Act requires condominium developments to be constructed to a substantial level prior to registration of the condominium, and title to a unit cannot be transferred until the condominium is registered. As such, it is typical for condominium units to be ready for occupancy well before any sales can close.

The Act permits developers and unit purchasers to agree that the purchaser assumes occupancy of the unit when it is ready for occupancy even though this is prior to registration and closing. If you read the documentation that you signed when you purchased, this should be clearly outlined (check you APS). This period of occupancy of the unit is called “interim occupancyâ€.

As such, when a purchaser goes into "interim occupancy", the developer is entitled to charge a fee, which sometimes falsely called “rent†or the "phantom rent" or a "phantom mortgage". In fact, as per the Act it is called the “occupancy feeâ€.

This amount is normally based on the following three points:
1. Interest calculated on a monthly basis on the unpaid balance of the purchase price at the agreed rate;
2. estimated monthly municipal taxes attributable to the unit; and
3. the projected monthly common expense contribution for the unit.

The monthly interim occupancy payments are not refundable, nor are they credited to you on closing. They neither count towards your mortgage, nor any maintenance fees following closing on your unit.

This is a very normal process in Toronto.

Remember, the developer wants the building to be registered as quick as possible, as they do not receive your payment for the unit until your unit is transfered. Nevertheless, this process can take quite a few months from the first occupancy (8-12 months is quite normal on a larger building).

Remember, the developer wants the building to be registered as quick as possible, as they do not receive your payment for the unit until your unit is transfered. Nevertheless, this process can take quite a few months from the first occupancy (8-12 months is quite normal on a larger building).

Does that mean buyers don't pay mortgage until the building is registered?

Thanks!

1 - Yes

2 - No

3 - Interim closing is usually referred to as Occupancy. There is no mortgage at this point, since the property is not yet registered (deeded). You start paying mortgage 30 days after registration. The first month that you own you do not pay mortgage (yes yes).

4 - Yes. Here is what I do for my clients:

a - get you a discount or a benefit that otherwise you would not get buying retail (upgrades, free locker, parking etc)

b - get the builder to improve your downpayment schedule

c - get the builder to cap on closing costs

d - get the builder to modify the agreement in other ways which are to your benefit (there are many things you could do, but this forum is not the place to list them all)

h - help you select the right unit for you / the proper floorplan

etc etc

thx yk

Thanks!

I'll make it very simple:

Interim Occupancy is when you get the keys and move in.

At that point you pay ONE lump sum to the builder which includes the following:

1. Condo fees

2. City Taxes

3. Your share of the mortgage.

BUT it's NOT mortgage since technically you DO NOT own the unit yet (because the bldg has yet to register)... got it?

You can read some more here:

http://urbanrealtytoronto.com/wordpress/new-vs-resale/

4 - Yes. Here is what I do for my clients:

a - get you a discount or a benefit that otherwise you would not get buying retail (upgrades, free locker, parking etc)

b - get the builder to improve your downpayment schedule

c - get the builder to cap on closing costs

d - get the builder to modify the agreement in other ways which are to your benefit (there are many things you could do, but this forum is not the place to list them all)

h - help you select the right unit for you / the proper floorplan

Why can't purchasers do any of this on their own? Or, with their lawyer? Seems like you stand to make 2.5%-5% of a sale for doing what the purchaser can do on their own.

All of the above can be achieved on your own if you're an experienced buyer. If you're a newbie, I doubt much can be done - they can smell you :)

I'll make it very simple:

Interim Occupancy is when you get the keys and move in.

At that point you pay ONE lump sum to the builder which includes the following:

1. Condo fees

2. City Taxes

3. Your share of the mortgage.

BUT it's NOT mortgage since technically you DO NOT own the unit yet (because the bldg has yet to register)... got it?

You can read some more here:

http://urbanrealtytoronto.com/wordpress/new-vs-resale/

Correct me if I am wrong:

1. Condo fees --> Maintenance fee?

2. City Taxes --> Property tax? What about Land transfer tax?

3. Your share of the mortgage. --> Is this the 10% deposit that builders typically asks on occupancy?

Correct me if I am wrong:

1. Condo fees --> Maintenance fee?

2. City Taxes --> Property tax? What about Land transfer tax?

3. Your share of the mortgage. --> Is this the 10% deposit that builders typically asks on occupancy?

1. Yes
2. Estimated Property tax. Land transfer tax is paid on final closing when you actually purchase the property (same time as all other closing costs and when you finally get your mortgage).
3. No, this is interest on your share of the amount remaining (of the purchase price) that the builder has taken out a mortgage for on your unit. The 10% additional deposit (if they've asked for it) is separate and not part of the monthly occupancy cost.

I know this can be confusing so here's a hypothetical breakdown:

Purchase price - $100 000
Total deposits you've given the builder - $15 000
Builder's Mortgage = $85 000

You pay only the interest on that $85 000 loan during interim occupancy.

On final closing when you get your own mortgage and finally own the condo, the payments will be more because you're also paying down the principal as well as the interest.

Back