8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

onfence

Member Bio
Reaction score
As a flipside to my question here: http://urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?12382-Problems-w-buying-*lowest*-floor-of-a-development, I would like to get your views on buying higher floors.

I suppose if there is a power outage, then walking up and down the stairs would be a problem. However, the major concern I have is if there is a fire, are the higher floors considered more unsafe, especially if the water from fire trucks cannot reach them? Are there any other concerns you can think of? Thanks.

The likelihood of your unit being damaged by water/flood is diminished greatly as there are fewer units above you.

Last edited:
However, the major concern I have is if there is a fire, are the higher floors considered more unsafe, especially if the water from fire trucks cannot reach them?

Is this a valid concern? How would they put out fires on higher floors?

As a flipside to my question here: http://urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?12382-Problems-w-buying-*lowest*-floor-of-a-development, I would like to get your views on buying higher floors.

However, the major concern I have is if there is a fire, are the higher floors considered more unsafe, especially if the water from fire trucks cannot reach them? Are there any other concerns you can think of? Thanks.

My 2 bits worth of contribution. Son-in-law of a friend of mine has said in the past that the fire alarm system in the new buildings is directly connected to nearest fire station. Staff there knows instantly as to on which floor the fire in on. They, then, dispatch the fire truck with the ladders that can reach that particular floor.

In our building, we have been told that in case of fire, stay in your apartment and, if warranted, wait for the evacuation instructions.

As regards power failure, I did get stuck once in my apartment for about 1 & 1/2 hours.

Last edited:
Still, I'm trying to figure out if there is such thing as too high of a floor for the firefighter's water to get to?

Still, I'm trying to figure out if there is such thing as too high of a floor for the firefighter's water to get to?

In general, the answer is no.

Water pressure in the water mains on the street, with light yellow colour, is tested periodically. However, your building could be one of those 'lucky' buildings where the whole system fails.

By the way, there are now new fire standards for buildings above a certain floor-height. Fire sprinkler are now 'a must' in these buildings. As such, perhaps, you might wish to buy a unit in a new building -- most likely, now under construction.

It didn't take them long to put out that rooftop fire on Queen's Quay last week ... that was 30 something floors?

As regards power failure, I did get stuck once in my apartment for about 1 & 1/2 hours.

Your building doesn't have a backup generator? During the blackout our elevators continued as we have backup generators. Could have gone two days before they ran out of fuel.

Is this a valid concern? How would they put out fires on higher floors?

There is something called a Standpipe in every building over a few floors high. The fire department just turns on the water from the fire hose cabinet (in the hallway of the common areas on each floor in most buildings) and uses the fire hose. There will be a fire pump in the garage usually found in either the sprinkler room or pump room that provides the pressure for the fire hoses on each floor. This only works in a building where the fire and life safety systems are properly maintained.

Back